• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Clan Tornament

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I’ve had a basic idea for a map making clan tournament.

The idea is to make clans of 4 - 5 members that by using their combined skills (e.g. Skinning modeling terraining) make a map in a certain time frame set by the site admins. Every match will feature two clans going head to head in a knockout or Round Robin style. The theme and time frame are decided on by the admin. Once the time frame has ended if a team has not submitted their map they will be penalized according to how late they are.

TEAMS:
Teams must be submitted before the start of the tournament. Each user may only be apart of one clan and if nessisary the clan can have a back up member incase of a member being unreachable or busy. The idea is to give each member a role in the making of the map. There must be an appointed leader and the best clans will be the ones who are organized and have structure in their design (e.g. all triggers, regions and cameras have correct names and Editor Suffixes are used). The majority of the clans will probably not be physically near each other and will have to relay the project between members by email. Clan members should know something about each other so that the clan can work out a schedule according to members work or schooling.

For those who don't have a Clan (e.g. myself) I suggest that a section is opened for clan proposals. In which you list your skills and contact details.

Clans should also have an original name (e.g. not the killers).

Points and matches

I think that the marking system should be decided on by the admins or allocated markers to make things easier but all sides of map making should be taken into account (e.g. terraining and triggering). I believe that the best way of organizing a Leader board or Battle sheet, listing upcoming matches and themes. The themes should not be allocated to the matches until the match starts, so that lets say there are 3 matches scheduled the 3 topics are listed but it does not say to whom. Once again it is best that the admins decide on a system to make things easier.

This is just the basic idea of the tournament. I realize that this is not the most original idea but the idea is to get site members involved in a slightly competitive fashion.

Let me know what you think...

WoW my 100th post! :)

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Not a good idea since it will encourage alot of short maps that are not perfected.
A better idea is a shair map where an admin makes a base map and the winner is the best branch off from the map and basicly the aim is for the map to be modified and improved as much as possiable in a time frame of about 3-4 months (lots of time so no preasure). The admins give the map out to 3 people (leaders) who then improve it each in a different way and add stuff differently (no confiring with the leaders teams so the maps will be different 99% of the time). Any other contestants who enter the contest and who are not the leader are assinged to a leader to form teams. The leaders can also drag their friends into it if they wish for bigger teams. The leaders every so often gives their map to another player in their team to work on and improve and add. The map can be online tested but only old, outdated versions can be hosted publicly and have to be protected (only protection the map ever needs inorder to stop the opositon stealing ideas). At the last month or so you can realse the lattest versions since the maps most lightly are so different they can hardly steal from each other. After the time limate is up the best map at the current time (The lattest realse for play on battlenet) is judged and which ever is better wins and then the leader can disband the groupe and give the outcome to one person who can continue devolpment on the map.

This compitition is fair since it is the same map base the teams use and also the shairing between team members will allow for alot of ideas and concepts that 1 person alone could not think of.

The map it self has requirements which can be like is it an RPG or does it combine TD with rpg or something. As well as thoes basic requirements there would be advanced requirements like "NO GUI" or "NO IMPORTS" or even as extreme as "ALL PLAYER HEROES MUST USE CUSTOM SPELLS (TES)) but that is up to who ever takes the contest on.

I my self feel it is a good contest but like the many ideas will probably be ignored or rejected.

Status
Not open for further replies.