• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Merch Artwork/Graphic Contest #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
2nd proposal
1653480442456.png

1653480462603.png

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
The winner of the contest will have his/her artwork printed on Hive merchandise and sold in our HiveMerchshop during a 3 month period.
All earnings from items sold during this limited time will go to the winner and will be transferred to his/her bank account on a monthly basis until the end of the 3 month period.

I think this would be my last concept and my WIP entry. :) I don't have much time to conceptualize. I will put my final entry this week then will focus again to my real life and day job. If I lose, then I hope someone will take interest to my design, just pm me if want to print on your own.

1654888092462.png

MOCK UP Sample:

Note: I will make another color variation or maybe another race. :)

1654888260623.png

Level 32
I would vote for 3 days - 1 week extension, I wouldn't mind more rivalries.
Each contestant is allowed to make minor variations of their artwork in order to fit the different layouts better (Max 3 Variations).
@Archian how minor can we make for variations, like colour swap, different font, horizontal, vertical? Thanks to that line, i can't have grey boi holding the :smoldic: hand pose version :sad:.

Anyway, I won't trying to double posting and filling the deadline here. Let me wrap all things in one post alright, thanks viewer.
I present you, daddy archi.... I mean
GO HOME HIVER
Daylight VersionSunset Version
ArchianVer1.png
ArchianVer2.png
Alright, i can't have more than 3 variation but hey, a bare version is available as well.
ArchianVer1-1.png
Example on how this picture work on apparel aka Shirt?:
(sorry if this is too small for preview, this is what i see if i stand faraway enough)
1655584407099.png

It's gotta work on cups, work bloody well on beach towel especially on the barebone version. Don't you love having a bloody eredar looking at you with full flex, holding an absinthe?. Heck, always remember to visit Hive otherwise you will end up become his Hiver. :xxd: Ralle please, just sell aprons.

Last edited:
Here's my final entry . I don't have time to make a full revision. With 3 variation. (Color)

For_BlackShirt.png

For_BlackShirt_GREEN.png

For_WhiteShirt_GREEn_DON'T UPLOAD.png

Mockups (see attached photos)

Goodluck to all!

Attachments

• Mug_white.jpg
    Mug_white.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Green_black.png
    Green_black.png
    116.3 KB · Views: 27
  • Orange_black.png
    Orange_black.png
    117.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Green_Black.png
    Green_Black.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 31
  • Orange_Black.png
    Orange_Black.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 34

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
This is my final submission.

Title: Hivesville

Full Resolution: 4600x3375, 300dpi

Description: The concept of my submission is threefold. Firstly - the idea of a community. Something that best exemplifies a community is the environment its members have built together. Secondly - a focus on Warcraft, which by its very nature as an RTS also involves a built environment. For that, I used a reference of multiple buildings from wc3's four races, presented from a birdseye view, as you would see them in-game. And third - the Hive's brand identity. With that in mind, the footprint of the "city" was modeled on an iconic part of the site's logo.

Variations (900x660 PNG): The artwork comes in three colour variations

White

Black

Gradient

MerchContest_Frost_White_S.png
MerchContest_Frost_Black_S.png
MerchContest_Frost_Color_S.png

PSD files in RGB/CMYK have been sent to the judges

Work in Progress:
Merch_WIP.gif

Additional Previews:

T-shirt

Hoodie

Mug

Pillow

Phone Case

P1.png
P2.png
P3.png
P4.png
P5.png

Last edited:
Level 34
This is my final submission.

Title: Hivesville

Description: The concept of my submission is threefold. Firstly - the idea of a community. Something that best exemplifies a community is the environment its members have built together. Secondly - a focus on Warcraft, which by its very nature as an RTS also involves a built environment. For that, I used a reference of multiple buildings from wc3's four races, presented from a birdseye view, as you would see them in-game. And third - the Hive's brand identity. With that in mind, the footprint of the "city" was modeled on an iconic part of the site's logo.

Variations: The artwork comes in three colour variations

Work in Progress:
View attachment 401631

Additional Previews:

This is friggin awesome, you really captured the theme perfectly!!! ♥o♥ That level of detail!!!!!!!!! so much to see on this, fantastic piece!!!!!

Level 32
Well this is a bit of oopsie daisy, forgot to mention that to the contesters from top side moment right there :xxd: . Courtesy of Murlocologist, he managed to warn in time because most printer can't print RGB well.
No biggy, I summon the god of SWOP blessed my boy here.
CMYK-converted work:
ArchianVer1.1_cmyk_preview.png

ArchianVer1.1-bare_cmyk_preview.png
ArchianVer2_cmyk_preview.png
Now, now, don't be sad about sunset no longer rock in true sunset with burning absinthe, you can still embrace him go full Pink!
Same as first finished one, it gotta work on shirt and towel just fine. Unfortunately, Hive won't sell underwear anytime soon.
1656013721446.png
1656014083753.png
1656014283796.png
1656014400192.png

General note here: Seriously, can I have a day break of not adjusting more :sad: ? Currently I have temporary take down the zip for a moment. I send the entry to Ralle after the poll is started.

Last edited:
Level 34
Well this is a bit of oopsie daisy, forgot to mention that to the contesters from top side moment right there :xxd: . Courtesy of Murlocologist, he managed to warm in time because most printer can't print RGB well.
No biggy, I summon the god of SWOP blessed my boy here.
CMYK-converted work:
Now, now, don't be sad about sunset no longer rock in true sunset with burning absinthe, you can still embrace him go full Pink!
Same as first finished one, it gotta work on shirt and towel just fine. Unfortunately, Hive won't sell underwear anytime soon.
10/10 🐝

Level 50
For clarification, RGB is not a color model which can be printed, CMYK is. Difference, in simple terms, is that CMYK space compared to RGB is much smaller and result is desaturation of color in most cases. If you take a RGB image and try to print it, result will be much different than what you expected. Therefore CMYK gives much more accurate idea of the actual print. In some instances non CMYK space colors can be used for certain solid color areas, these may increase the overall costs of printing however.

Also, .png can't be saved in CMYK. So to save transparent background you'd normally use .psd or .tiff formats. There may be ways to imitate to certain extent CMYK with .png's RGB. For preview purpose in this contest, it may be the best solution to save work in CMYK .jpg with the forum's posting area as background and image will appear with background as transparent.
For those interested, color code is:
C:72
M:66
Y:65
K:74

Level 50
A quick note to other contestants, I advise you not to post your original large size images or .psd here, but rather save them for the ''client'' (aka Archian and Ralle). By posting your full resolution work publicly, you are putting yourselves in danger of 'art theft'. In simplest terms, someone can take your image and print it by themselves bypassing the whole point of this contest. If you post a preview in web size it will serve the purpose of preview and if won't be printable in such a dpi.

Level 32
A quick note to other contestants, I advise you not to post your original large size images or .psd here, but rather save them for the ''client'' (aka Archian and Ralle). By posting your full resolution work publicly, you are putting yourselves in danger of 'art theft'. In simplest terms, someone can take your image and print it by themselves bypassing the whole point of this contest. If you post a preview in web size it will serve the purpose of preview and if won't be printable in such a dpi.

Wouldn't you just sue the thief instead :eekani:? Then again, Hive already protecting us about those.

Last edited:

frostwhisper

Media Manager
Level 49
You do raise a good point. Provided that this contest has a monetary aspect to it, I've edited my submission with smaller preview images and sent the PSDs to Archian and Alexen directly.

Level 50
Shido,
Sure, if you spot someone wearing Archian hat (assuming website doesn't make those), they most likely thefted your artwork. Other than that, there are not many scenarios in which you can know or do anything.

Recently someone told me some website in different country took a 3D model of mine I posted here and is selling it for actual money for their own pocket. And what exactly you think can be done about that? Ideally Hive would request that website to prevent its users from such behaviour. Unfortunatelly it isn't that simple. Different countries, different cultures, different rules... Without going further off topic, what can be done to ensure artwork doesn't get thefted for print is not to post full resolution.

Level 32
Shido,
Sure, if you spot someone wearing Archian hat (assuming website doesn't make those), they most likely thefted your artwork. Other than that, there are not many scenarios in which you can know or do anything.

Recently someone told me some website in different country took a 3D model of mine I posted here and is selling it for actual money for their own pocket. And what exactly you think can be done about that? Ideally Hive would request that website to prevent its users from such behaviour. Unfortunatelly it isn't that simple. Different countries, different cultures, different rules... Without going further off topic, what can be done to ensure artwork doesn't get thefted for print is not to post full resolution.
Right... I would imagine going out of the doorway to just tell that website take it down but fallen to deaf ear would be annoying to deal with. Still, that's a lot of holes for this contest :xxd: has contained. I go ahead adjusting stuff here.

Level 50
I researched some more since I got a bit skeptical about CMYK and web display compatibility. It appears that web color space isn't versatile enough to mimic CMYK so well, so depening on circumstances, mismatched colors may happen if you post CMYK .jpg.

Therefore I would advise to stick with the RGB .png in terms of displaying your entry in this contest.

Website Ralle pointed out states that they work in 'RGB workflow'. So they'll probably convert RGB to CMYK themselves. Reason why that makes difference is because they use something similar to CMYKOG (six color print) which gives richer color compared to traditional print. Still, results won't be 1:1 as your RGB version, but I guess it gives brighter tones.

Status
Not open for further replies.