• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hive Merch Artwork/Graphic Contest #1 - RESULTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
hive-logo-small-remoosed-png.373032

merchcont1-png.399191

results-png.373717

Contestants were to create an original artwork / graphic design that was suitable for printing on merchandise (Apparel, Homeware, Accessories and/or Drinkware). The theme of the artwork / graphic was 'Hive Workshop Community'.

other_prizes-png.311512

• 1st place: 750 experience points.
    The winner of the contest will have his/her artwork printed on Hive merchandise and sold in our HiveMerchshop during a 3 month period. All earnings from items sold during this limited time will go to the winner and will be transferred to his/her bank account on a monthly basis until the end of the 3 month period.
  • 2nd place: 500 experience points
  • 3rd place: 250 experience points
  • Entry: 25 experience points
  • Judge: 50 experience points per entrant
The three winners will receive an award icon representing the winning entry.

other_judges-png.311510

other_contest_judging-png.311506

Ralle's Review
Merch Artwork/Graphics Contest

I want to preface my judging with a big thank you to anyone interested in participating it our contest. Thank you for spending the time to spin this idea into art. Many cool designs. I want you to know that I don’t remember judging anything in the past, so I am sorry if I seem blunt or missing the point. Know that I did my best and hold no grudges and hope you won’t either after hearing my opinion on your art :).

Murlocologist

Relevance: It has relevance to Hive with the gears that reflect the various sections, the H, the antlers of Ralle. It has relevance to Warcraft with the shield and hammer. I can’t help but feel like big parts of the drawing are just nice looking Warcraft things and the emphasis on our community is more in the background, despite being front and center.

10/25

Optimization: It looks impressive on the t-shirt. I feel like the detail level could easily be worked with on something as small as a mug.

20/25

Composition: It looks cool. I like the idea of a weapon, shield and cape. But I am not sure what gears have to do with it. Are they part of the shield? I understand that the gears symbolise each part of our community, but what do they have to do with the gear (shield, cape, etc)? I really like the shield and cape. The shading and chrome on the shield as well as the chain have real depth. The hammer however looks very two-dimensional. At first I thought the antlers were wings until I read the text. While I like that I am represented in the drawing, I am once again a little confused by the various things portrayed. I understand their symbolism but not why the things go together. I understand the message it’s trying to send, HIVE, resources, moose, Warcraft, but I don’t feel like the story of why the things go together makes sense.

10/25

Originality: It is unique and looks eye catching. Yes, unique and interesting.

25/25

FINAL SCORE: 65

PrinceYaser

Relevance: I see a face shaped like an H, an H badge and a gold chain with the HIVE logo. All three things have relevance to the HIVE brand. The rest is a really nicely drawn and mysterious being. I feel like it could have more relevance than just a handful of logos nicely embedded in there.

5/25

Optimization: This would not work well on a t-shirt without edits. The drawing just ends at the edge and you can’t see the rest of the character. Remember, a t-shirt has a backside and the drawing has to either fade out or be self-contained. This would however work well as a poster as is. And nicely for that.

5/25

Composition: I really like how a face this awesome can be made from the letter H. I feel like the idea here was that a face could be made out of the letter H which is well done. I like the mysterious look on the guy. It seems a little excessive to have so many HIVE references though.

15/25

Originality: Unique and interesting yes.

25/25

FINAL SCORE: 50

Shido

Relevance: It’s very funny to me. It represents Archian chilling with a statement. But I honestly don’t believe anyone is going to buy this shirt. It’s not really representing the community as a whole but funny to those who might get the joke. I would like the winning entry to represent the community and not just one individual of it.

5/25

Optimization: This will work well on a t-shirt and mug and pretty much everything we have going on in the merch store right now. No worries about that.

25/25

Composition: The artwork is nice and easy to understand. I feel like it could have more depth or detail in some way.

10/25

Originality: Definitely original yes, but I feel like it could be more interesting.

10/25

FINAL SCORE: 50

frostwhisper

Relevance: A city or island shaped as the H filled up by Warcraft related things. A subtle and classy way to represent the community.

20/25

Optimization: This would work great on a t-shirt, wall-art and anything else of some scale. I believe it would not work on a mug at all though. It reminds me a lot of the community shirt.

20/25.

Composition: It’s great! The idea is clear and well executed. It sends a subtle message and not as “in your face” as some of our other shirts but I think that only adds to it. Without knowing the reference, it is just cool to look at.

25/25

Originality: It is unique and interesting. Check. The drawing style reminds me of Davit Yukhanyan but it is far from similar to anything he’s done.

25/25

FINAL SCORE: 90

BLazeKraze

Relevance: The orc is certainly Warcraft and HIVERS is a reference to people on HIVE. But it seems a bit shallow. The globe and “WORLDWIDE” references that we are a community around the globe. But it just feels generic.

5/25

Optimization: This would work on most forms of apparel. The text is large and the details of the orc you might miss are unimportant.

15/25

Composition. I feel like the idea here is mentioning hive and slapping a copy-pasted orc into the picture. It looks cheap to me.

3/25

Originality: The text along with the orc might be original but separately they’re both quite generic.

5/25

FINAL SCORE: 28

Archian's Review

Murlocologist​

RelevanceAt first look the design looks like a Warcraft symbol, like the faction banner for each race. So the Warcraft theme is definitely there.
I can see you had a clear idea in mind. It's hard to execute that idea so that it makes sense. I had to read your comment in order to get it.
For instance I didn't realize it was antlers, it looked more like green flame, nor did I realize the gear represented the different sections of the Hive. I like the idea, it's clear that you gave it a lot of thought, but apart from the H I didn't really get the feeling that this reflected our community. There is a lot going on.
OptimizationThe design seems suited for every category. A logo is generally suitable for almost everything. Good thinking.20
CompositionThe art is really neat. It was designed with a great idea in mind. But there is a lot going on. It's interesting to see how you managed to gather some of Hive's core aspects and put into a design.20
OrginalityThe artwork resemble that of a Warcraft faction banner. Which is not "unique" per se. But it's certainly interesting when you get a closer look to further analyze what's going on.10

PrinceYaser​

RelevanceTo be honest, I don't really get a feeling that this reflects our community. If it wasn't for the H's, it would just look like a badass piece of artwork. I don't think our members would buy it, not because it doesn't look awesome, but because it doesn't reflect our community. It does reflect our concept art section, though. But Hive is more than just our concept art section.5
OptimizationI think this is more suited as a poster than on apparel or drinkware for instance.10
CompositionThe artwork itself is great. I can see the idea you were going for. A Hive Knight. You tried to implement the logo into the design. Commendable.
However, the artwork seems to be in an unfinished state. Some areas are more polished than others. I'm not quite sure what message this artwork sends. It's a an entity wearing dark armor, with a Hive logo.
OrginalityThe artwork is certainly unique. It's interesting to see how you managed to incorporate the aspects of the Hive e.g. the amulet, helmet and brooch.10

SHIDO

RelevanceIt's not really relevant to the Hive community. It reflects a single member of the Hive (lol). If it wasn't for the HIVER, it could just be a character from Warcraft i.e. Archimonde, enjoying a drink.5
OptimizationIt's certainly optimized for printing. But I feel this suits Apparel more than the other categories.10
CompositionIt's a clean design. It's a funny take on a Warcraft character/Hive member. The text adds to the overall feel of the design, and goes well with it. It captures the attention of the viewer and makes them read it. You clearly had an idea with this.15
OrginalityThe artwork is unique and the text makes it more interesting.15

frostwhisper​

RelevanceWhen I first saw this, I immediately thought of the Hive community AND Warcraft. It certainly reflects both in a really cool manner. I feel like this is something Hive members would buy, because they can identify themselves with it.25
OptimizationIt's certainly optimized for printing in all categories. Different colors variations for different color merch is neat.20
CompositionThe design is awesome! You clearly had an idea with this, and it was executed perfectly. It's simple yet elegant.25
OrginalityOriginal work of art. The details of the design makes it very interesting. At first your glance you clearly see the H, and second glance you see the Warcraft buildings. And then you notice it's an Warcraft island shaped as a H - really cool.25

BLazeKraze

RelevanceI feel it reflects Warcraft more than the Hive community.7
OptimizationIt's suitable for printing in most categories. But it does resemble a poster for a contest or something.10
CompositionYou definitely had an idea, that was expanded upon quite a bit. But in the end it feels a bit "thrown together".7
OrginalityWhile interesting, the artwork is not original. It's copy-pasted i.e. the Orc.5

Poll: 30%

Judge: 70%

FinalScore = (30*Reached_Votes/POSSIBLE_VOTES) + (70*Average_Judge_Score/POSSIBLE_SCORE)

CONTESTANTVOTESPOSSIBLE VOTESAVERAGE JUDGE SCOREPOSSIBLE SCOREFINAL SCORE
Murlocologist16606510053,5
PrinceYaser6604510034,5
Shido46047,510035,25
frostwhisper336092,510081,25
BlazeKraze16028,510020,45

CONGRATULATIONS TO

--- 1st Place (Winning Entry): @frostwhisper ---

2nd Place: @Murlocologist
3rd Place: @Shido

Thanks to all contestants for participating.

The Hive Workshop Administration team will start a private dialogue with the winner to determine the specific pricing for each item.
A public announcement will be made once the winning entry is available for purchase in the HiveMerchshop.com

HONORABLE MENTIONS:

@-Grendel
@Taylor Mouse

Contest | Poll

Last edited:
Level 39
(re: Frostwhisper)
It's certainly optimized for printing in all categories. Different colors variations for different color merch is neat.
Optimized for printing on fabric? I strongly disagree with this take. I do think it's the best piece of art but I really think thin overlapping lines will not look and work well screen-printed.

Last edited:
Level 15
Congratulations, everyone! I watched this contest from a distance and wanted to say that all the participants did great.

And @frostwhisper (long time no see), I'd like to personally congratulate you for "grabbing" the 1st place and cheer for you! @Murlocologist and @Shido (man, I love it when you're funny sometimes), congratulations for earning the 2nd and 3rd places. This calls for celebration...! 🍾😄👍

Congrats everyone!

Hmm.. I may bring up an issue with the awards given to the rest of the participants though. Not personally because I don't care about my exp level that much, but it might sound weird for anyone who participated. I will just name myself to avoid misjudgings. I can make an icon in 10 minutes and get 20 exp just for uploading it, and here I make a 'let's say art' for such a contest and recieve 25 exp?! I think it was supposed to be 'per entrant'.

But anyway, this was fun. And big thanks to the judges. :]

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Congrats everyone!

Hmm.. I may bring up an issue with the awards given to the rest of the participants though. Not personally because I don't care about my exp level that much, but it might sound weird for anyone who participated. I will just name myself to avoid misjudgings. I can make an icon in 10 minutes and get 20 exp just for uploading it, and here I make a 'let's say art' for such a contest and recieve 25 exp?! I think it was supposed to be 'per entrant'.

But anyway, this was fun. And big thanks to the judges. :]
Thanks for bringing this up. The EXP system is still be adjusted from time to time, and we are still fine tuning things.
Also FYI In this case, Ralle and myself decided not to give ourselves any EXP for being judges.

I'm actually struggling on how I can make an art that will fit to hive community, but you guys are cool! Thanks for the opportunity!
I hope there would be another design contest, I will surely participate again if I have more spare time again.

And yeah, congratulations to everyone and thanks for the fair review. You guys deserved it!

Status
Not open for further replies.