• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hill Passage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
Ok i've been updating my terrain so i can do better on my wc3 dbz map, and here are some pictures.

Updating As we speak.

And what do you think ?

You can download the "Hill Passage" too look at the terrain your self if you wish.

Here Is a Barrens Sample:

Attachments

• image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 251
  • Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 303
  • Image3.jpg
    Image3.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 247
  • Image4.jpg
    Image4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 244
  • Hill Passage.w3x
    55.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Level 8
Select a tree - any of them, please.

Now hit (at the same time) Ctrl + shift + ~ to select all of the same kind.

Now hold down your CTRL key and hit page down - again and again until those ugly bottoms are buried beneath the ground.

Repeat for each kind of tree you have.

But what I would do first is use the Advanced Reset height field - I would set the variation low and the smoothing high - if there is water in your map then check ignore water. What that will do is add a bit of variety to the ground, small hills and dips which can be smoothed out further using the tool pallet.

In all honesty I strongly urge you to look at other submissions here and on other forums and read what people say about other maps. Its the same old story over and over again.

Variation of texture, variation of doodads, more environmental doodads, more variation of the ground, fog, etc. etc. etc.

You have a good start here, a rough draft of potential - however it will require a lot more time and careful consideration of placement of "stuff" to get is looking great.

Level 25
List of What-To-Do
  • Your terrain is currently too flat. Add more hills. (Make sure you don't make them pointy!)
  • The tile variation is there, but definitely a lot of room for improvements. Try to vary the grasses with dirt tiles and other grass tiles as well to give it more oomph.
  • You should certaintly use a terrain fog for ALL of your terrains. To do this, it is in the Scenario/Map Options section in the World Editor's toolbar. (NOTE: Make sure you make the fog help the terrain blend with the sky, vice versa)
  • Add a lot more environmental doodads such as shrubs and rocks.
  • Increase your field-of-view when taking screenshots. (Hold Ctrl and scroll up or down to raise/lower your FoV)
I high recommend you look at other terrain artists and terrain tutorials to educate yourself more on how good terrain styles look. I guarantee you will improve a lot more if you do so.
Here's a link to a thread that should have a list of many helpful things.

~Craka_J

Level 8
You should certaintly use a terrain fog for ALL of your terrains. To do this, it is in the Scenario/Map Options section in the World Editor's toolbar.
I beg to differ, fog is not necessary in all terrains. If it's not a dense or misty or something like that environment you shouldn't use fog.

Edit: Tho removing normal fog is required to not make it look like shit.

Last edited:
Level 34
I beg to differ, fog is not necessary in all terrains. If it's not a dense or misty or something like that environment you shouldn't use fog.

Edit: Tho removing normal fog is required to not make it look like shit.

I disagree with you. Fog is always needed. I've never been anywhere in the world where there is no fog.

Level 8
Gilles said:
I disagree with you. Fog is always needed. I've never been anywhere in the world where there is no fog.
Polish your glasses? There're indeed places in the world where there is no fog.

donut3.5 said:
Fog isn't only misty fog, its also the general atmosphere.
True, fog can make terrain look way better, but it's NOT required for good terrain.

Level 34
Level 8
Oh, I see what you mean. Well, if you're a fan of teh realizm.. In reality that's a great distance away;

gillesz.jpg

Now to begin with wc3 can't draw that big environments, the only way would be faking it, and then I suppose fog could be used that way. That, however, does not mean every terrain needs fog.

If you're making something like this, fog about all you want. If you're making something like this however (yeah, bad example but fuck you it's 2 AM) fog is not necessary. It might make it look better, but it's not necessary to make the picture look good. Comprende?

Level 34
It might make it look better, but it's not necessary to make the picture look good. Comprende?

It doesn't make a terrain, but it sure helps. I've seen so many of my terrains improved with just a touch of fog. I don't think fog ever hurts a terrain (If you do a good job of course). Why leave it out if it only helps?

BTW in this picture look at the tree, notice how it's not clear, a bit foggy? It's distance fog!!

Level 25
Adding fog, no matter how clear the weather is, is a good thing. At least when making maps in WarCraft III. The exaduration of weather in this aspect give maps (Terrain) a positive feel because fog helps bring the atmosphere and environment alive. In WarCraft III, everything looks rather dull or empty without fog. Sure some times it can look good, but when a fog is added, it looks a lot better.

Fog defines distance, yes. But fog also helps define the climate and environment around the terrain; in and out!

If you make a jungle terrain and add green fog, the green fog helps the terrain blend with better with the objects placed and helps bring the greens bind with the greens. For example, the jungle trees (Leaves preferably) will blend mostly with the fog and if the sky was also chosen well, it will blend with the sky as well.

The addition of fog in video games is a good thing. Maybe not so much in First-Person-Shooter games, but in other games such as RTS games and MMORPG's, it is a very good strategy. It helps bring the terrain alive, pretty much. The fog also helps the sky blend with the terrain. As you can see in robot-dude's terrain, the fog defies the sky and doesn't blend at all with the terrain either. When the sky doesn't blend at all with the terrain or have a wise choice of color (Neutral colors such as Gray and Black), usually the terrain will look uneven, messy, or give that feel that something is missing, and without that missing something, the terrain is ugly.

The fog is what makes terrain have depth. Yes, tile variation and environmental doodads have a large impact on terrain depth as well, but the fog is what gives things purpose I guess is what the word I'm looking for is.

If you want me to post a few examples to help prove my point, I will.
~Craka_J

Level 34
Craka nailed it. Well done dude! We are way off-topic, you should have reminded us Craka, you are the Mod! This poor man's/ Woman's thread is wrecked.

Status
Not open for further replies.