1. Melee Mapping contest #3 - Poll is up! Vote for the best 4v4 melee maps!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The 30th edition of the Modeling Contest is finally up! The Portable Buildings need your attention, so come along and have a blast!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have a new contest going on right now! Join the 11th Music Contest! You are to make a Cinematic modern sound-track for this contest, so come and compete with other people for fun.
    Dismiss Notice

[Defense / Survival] Hero Siege RPG

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by Eat_Bacon_Daily, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:

[​IMG]

Features
    -5 unique heroes
    -6 abilities per hero
    -5 completely unique hero evolutions
    -Custom items
    -Custom item classes (common, uncommon, rare, epic, legendary)
    -Scripted Boss Battles
    -Custom waves
    -No Grind
    -Mazes
    -Puzzles
    -Tower Defenses
    -Secret Rooms
    -At least 4 ultimate style spells per hero
    -Dungeons
    -Unique environments for each Chapter
    -and much much more!

Arthas Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Bless (Q): Damages and heals Nearby
    [​IMG] Guards (W): Summons a Minion
    [​IMG] Defensive Stance (E): Periodically Heals
    [​IMG] Retribution Aura: Grants Bonus Armor

[​IMG] [​IMG]Curse (D): Deals Damage and Heals Nearby
    [​IMG]Damned Servant (Q): Summons a Minion
    [​IMG]Unending Servitude (W): Periodically Heals
    [​IMG]Resiliance Aura: Grants Bonus Armor
    [​IMG]Wrath of the Lich King (R): Grants and Deals Damage

Sylvanas Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Resolve (D): Grants immunity and attack speed.
    [​IMG] Virtuous Arrow (Q): Deals damage in a line
    [​IMG] Orb of Annihilation (W): Grants damage and splash
    [​IMG]Critical Strike: Gives a chance to multiply damage

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Vengeance (D): Grants immunity and attack speed
    [​IMG]Malice (Q): Deals damage in a line
    [​IMG]Banshee Arrow (W): Grants Bonus attack and Splash
    [​IMG]Echoing Strike: Gives a Chance to multiply damage
    [​IMG]Forsaken Fury (R): Summons ghosts of Sylvanas to fight

Grom Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG]Furylust (D): Grants splash damage
    [​IMG]War Stomp (Q): Damages and stuns nearby enemies
    [​IMG] Cry of the Hoard (W): Damages and slows nearby enemies
    [​IMG]Bash: Grants a chance to stun enemies

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Chaotic Rage (D): Grants temporary splash and damage
    [​IMG]Warsong Warcry (Q): Stuns, slows and damages enemies
    [​IMG]Dreadful Echoes (W): Weakens and damages enemies
    [​IMG]Crushing Blow: Gives a chance to stun increase damage
    [​IMG] Reign of Chaos (R): Teleports and damages around Grom

Malfurion Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Remorse (D): Damages and stuns a target
    [​IMG]Overgrowth (Q): Slows, damages and buffs an area
    [​IMG]Imbue (W): Heals multiple allies
    [​IMG] Essence Aura: Grants mana regeneration

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Sorrow (D): Deals damage and stuns
    [​IMG]Dawnwing (Q): Summons a hawk with passive benefits
    [​IMG]Blessing of the Wild (W): Heals multiple allies
    [​IMG]Wisdom: Grants various permanent bonuses
    [​IMG]Emerald Dream (R): Creates illusions of a target

Jaina Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG] Empower (D): Empowers the next ability cast
    [​IMG] Arcane Missiles (Q): Damages 4 random nearby enemies
    [​IMG] Mystic Barrier (W): Heals allies and stuns enemies
    [​IMG] Dimensional Step (E): Teleports a short distance and grants mana on spellcast

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] Magic Surge (D): Summons a minion on spellcast
    [​IMG] Arcane Barrage (Q): Deals massive damge to nearby foes
    [​IMG] Arcane Field (W): Heals allies, damages and stuns foes
    [​IMG] Reality Bend (E): Teleports a short distance and refunds mana
    [​IMG] Mirror Entity (R): Summons an image that casts spells when you do

Illidan Abilities
    [​IMG] [​IMG]Hatred: Grants stacking damage bonus
    [​IMG]Entangling Roots (Q): Immobilizes and damages target
    [​IMG] Immolation (W): Damages nearby units periodically
    [​IMG] Abhorrence Aura: Grants melee lifesteal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]Festering Hatred: Grants stacking damage bonus
    [​IMG]Demonic Grasp (Q): Jumps to target, while immobilizing it
    [​IMG]Eternal Blaze (W): Deals periodic damage nearby
    [​IMG]Magic Thirst (E): Grants temporary damage and life steal
    [​IMG] Metamorphosis (R): Grants range, damage and stats

Screenshots

Starting Zone

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dungeon 1 (Classic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dungeon 2 (Classic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dungeon 3 (MINIGAMES!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dungeon 4 (TOWER DEFENSE!)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MEDIA

DEVELOPPER INSIGHT
    Subject
    Discussion
    Suggested Players
    My intentions in making this map was to have a Hero Siege/Dungeon Crawler to play with my friends on Skype or on a Lan Party. Due to this mindset, the map requires a full house to be properly played. I have no intentions in going into tedious balancing for reduced player groups, though I have seen some people make it particularly far as a group of 4. That being said, I added a special item that spawns when the game is played in single player. The purpose of this item is for lone players to test out some features. It is important to note that single player gaming does not reflect the full house experience. If you are looking for more people to play with, try hosting this game on MakeMeHost. I always upload the latest versions there and enough people play it that you should be able to get a full house rather quickly.
    Gameplay and Inspiration
    This map is a hero defense/dungeon crawler, which combines elements from my favorite maps. The idea of each hero having a specific role and being color assigned came from Illidan's 7 Demon Hunters. This setup also allows players to setup a strategy in the lobby and discuss their roles. The waves in the early zone are also similar to 7 Demon Hunters, as each wave uses different combinations of the same units to provide variety and uniqueness throughout the fights. The idea of dungeons came loosely from X Hero Siege, as one of my favorite parts of that map was when you and your group are transport into a different zone to partake in unique challenges. Having your heroes evolve visually and ability-wise throughout the game came from DBZ Tribute. Having your initial hero change visually always felt exciting in DBZ tribute, plus it allowes you to change your ability setup to fill any gaps your party might have as they face new threats.

Items
    Items come in two forms in this game, the first is the classic dropped loot, meaning killing stuff will drop powerful items that you can equip. These items are classified in power from Common to Legendary. Such items can be found in secrets all over the maps, by killing bosses or simply by killing regular foes. The second form of item progression comes through recipes (OMG how original.....). I struggled with the idea of recipes because, I feel that no one likes looking through 10 different shops looking for some random item who's name doesn't always match the icon. (Hmmm, i need Claws of Justice to finish this recipe. Let me just look through all these goddamn shops, including secret shops for an icon that looks like a claw and hope it is the item i'm looking for.). So I decided to make a fairly simple shop setup. The recipes are in the starting castle and all required components are in a single shop. The component items have the same icon/names as the normal Warcraft III items (I.E Robe of Magi, Claws of Attack ect...) and the recipe progression is fairly obvious when looking at the items sold in the castle. Furthermore, to add a little bit of fun, the final form of all recipes require a single item that can only be obtained by finding in secret zones.
    Special Events and Minigames
    Throughout the game there will be minigames and special types of challenges that diverge from the classic Hero Siege/Survival concept. I added these to the game so that players can have a small breather once in a while. These such events range from Mazes to Tower Defenses. I made sure that these parts of the game are somewhat easy, meaning that you likely wont lose as a result of being unable to beat a minigame. My thought process here was that, if you spent the whole game upgrading and shaping your hero, you should only be able to lose in parts directly involving your hero. It would be pretty lame if you lost a game because you couldn't solve a puzzle even though your hero can take down bosses with ease.

Heroes and Story The story of this game is loosely based on the Warcraft III campaign. Basically you will be facing the same big characters you saw in the campaign. The heroes also follow the Warcraft III campaign. I feel like the stories Warcraft custom games that are completely original often get ignored, except by hardcore fans. So despite this game not really having a story, it is pretty easy to follow what is going on as these are characters we all know and love. Plus I feel like it's cool to somewhat relive the fantasy of being Arthas, grabbing Frostmourne, murdering your father and turning from a Paladin into a Death Knight. I am also pretty proud to have seem some people really get sucked into their characters while playing. I have even had games where some people spontaneously role play once they get their evolved character (I'm not making this up, I have really seen it!). I also like the idea of people calling each other by their character's name as opposed to by their color (I.E Yo Illidan grab that item. as opposed to, Yo Yellow Grab that item.)

Abilities I'm probably not going to win any awards for most original abilities here, most of them are simple edits of already existing abilities and some are pretty much the normal abilities with some simple added eye candy, especially for the base forms of all heroes. Though you may not agree with me here, I enjoy simple straight forward abilities. When starting a new game I really hate reading all the custom abilities that are so overly complicated. (When cast your Hero turns into a cucumber that deals X damage based on your enemies hps + the STR of your grandmothers age divided by a random number from 23 to your base agility + 16.). My abilities are usually very simple to understand and when you evolve and get a whole new set of spells, each new spell has the same basic concept as your old ones. But I feel like I was still able to keep abilities fun and special by allowing you to unlock new abilities through items later on and by adding special bonus effects when you maxe out your spells. This means that despite some heroes feeling like they are getting weaker as the game progresses, they will likely hit a pretty large power spike when they unlock a new spell or when they max out their already existing spells.

Credits

Anachron
    Mr.Goblin
    I3lackDeath
    BLazeKraze
    Elfsilver Lord
    Sellenisko
    JollyD
    Big Dub
    Devine
    Darkfang
    Hellx-Magnus
    4eNNightmare
    PeeKay
    RightField
    JetFangInferno
    Tranquil
    Kwaliti
    Ujimasa Hojo
    DarkFang
    Kimbo
    13lackdeath
    Callahan
    Darkranger002
    Henry
    Kimbo
    Sin'dorei300
    CRAZYRUSSIAN
    Hellx-Magnus
    zbc
    NFWar
    -Berz-
    morbent
    67chrome
    sPy
    SAN
    Tranquil
    Tauer
    RightField
    Darkholme
    JollyD
    4eNNightmare
    WILL THE ALMIGHTY
    NFWar
    ~Nightmare
    Spellbound
    Anachron
    Golden-Drake

And a huge thanks to testers
    Apheraz_Lucent
    WrathfulZombie
    Pat1487
    Popartica
    namnume123
    FFslayer
    Olonavy
    Hspence21190

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  2. WhiteFang

WhiteFang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Illidan's hidden tag is also called Malfurion
    Other than that,the map sounds interesting and ill gladly test and review it for you if you want

3. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Oh thanks, i didnt notice that mistake.
    And thanks for saying it sounds interesting :D

Updated the Map Today

4. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Such a map sounds inherently quite long to play. A big problem I always had online was getting dedicated enough players to stay for the entire duration of a hero siege as usually I end up solo shortly before the end.

5. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    It is long and i fully understand what you mean, but i *hopefully* built it in a way to make people stay. There is pretty much no grind in the game, and your are always hit in the face with new eye-candy and challenges. And so far from my experiences hosting it people dont usually leave.

6. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thread Updated!

7. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I had tested the game the mechanics are certainly interesting as to spending gold for a temporary ward, well I shouldn't spoil it here. It's a good game but I assume you have made it only possible to survive in multi player. Please make it possible to play it solo!

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Too bad most of todays players do not have time to spend more than 1 hour odd on a session. You should design sessions to last around 30-60 minutes for this reason. The exception are sessions of open ended games (RPGs etc) where there is no limit to how long people can play but they should be able to resume where they left off.

9. Ezekiel12

Ezekiel12

Resources:
    Resources:
    I agree with DSG that nowadays the sweet spot is 30-60 min. You could keep it that short but increase replayability by e.g. hidden content unlocked after playthrough or settings at the start of the map.
    It's your map however and you can do what you want.

Another thing would be the ground textures/doodads. Don't get me wrong, from the screenshots your terrain seems to be well done. It's just after having played hundreds of custom maps that I know every pixel of the standard terrain/doodads and it's hard to get the feeling of playing something special on such maps.

10. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thank you so much for your comment and suggestion! I will absolutely look to adding a single player possibility in my next version. Except it might still be incredibly difficult to play because the way the maps is built. For example in the third dungeon, you must defend a point while completing mini-games, which might bad extra hard to accomplish alone! But if you have access to Battle.net, hosting with entbots will grant you full house in 1-2 minutes. Although sometimes the bots in the channel dont recognize my map, so for the best experiance you should make an account on their website and host through there, heres a link https://entgaming.net/link/host.php .
    Please leave me any other comments, suggestions and concerns! Also hit my up on USeast, my name is Eat_Bacon_Daily :D.

I know what you mean, but i usually host the game with Hero Siege in the title so people know how long to expect the game to go. Also ive hosted it a bunch and i'd say the leave rate is only around 20%, which is really fine. Completing my map should only take around 1 hour and a half, which i believe to be fair, if someone is playing at the end of the day, but i will definitely take your comment in to consideration and try and shorten it.

Hahaha, i know what you mean, i am using an aesthetic similar to what blizzard has done in their maps and campaigns. Unfortunately i will likely be limited to that since i have just on the edge of the maxiumum doodad limit on the editor and i prioritize amazing skins for the player characters over environment aesthetic, which eats up most of my map size, so i think will be stuck with the basic doodads. Although your comment does inspire me to try different types of decorations, i'll see what i can do :p
    P.S Your profile icon is beast.

I have hopefull also fixed the inflated icons on the main thread post. Not sure why the hero ability icons keep bloating up 10 minutes after i fix them.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. Acutesharpness

Acutesharpness

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks creator for the tips for entbots XD!

12. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Map updated and single player option added (kinda).
    Cheers

13. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    New Version! Now with moar eye-candy!
    enjoy

14. namnume123

namnume123

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well me and my friends got stuck after TD scene , also i havent found Malfurion evolution.

15. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    HOLY CRAP, SOMEONE ACTUALLY POSTED HERE!
    Thanks a bunch for testing my map man, it means the world to me :)
    If you have proof of you making it there ill add you to credits! Although your description makes it somewhat obvious that you did make it to the end, so i'll prob end up adding you anyways.

As for being stuck after the TD part, i'm super sorry about that, but that's pretty much where the game ends in that version. It's still in ALPHA, meaning the game is not fully playable yet. All hero evolutions are complete though and my newer version should grant access to evolved Malfurion and Illidan. I hope you had fun though :) .
    Also might i ask how you guys played my game? Got it off epicwar.com or entbot?

Also updated screenshots, if anyone is actually looking at this thread at all :p

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  16. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You know Bacon... I have been keeping my eye on this, glad your still working on it. Haven't seen you in a while, it's Tal0n. Good work so far, will test again some time soon or so I hope.

Forgive me for not posting anything sooner, hope we can try your map together sometime. =)

17. Eat_Bacon_Daily

Eat_Bacon_Daily

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Thanks man! It really does mean a lot to em that you are keepin an eye on my project. I didn't know you are actually active on Hive :D . We def need to play together as soon as possible! Do you still getton Bnet? Did you change your username, i gatta add ya :D

18. Dat-C3

Dat-C3

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Nope, still on east as Tal0n. =)

19. raisen

raisen

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I like, Illidan is great with his evolution. :)
    this is gonna be be exciting..

20. namnume123

namnume123

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've found your map on epic war , in a sunny borring day :D.No need for credits , was our pleasure to test a great map.