• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Design 4-Way Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
The Hive Workshop
The "Triggers are for smart people" Hero Challenge!
tl2_popup.png

Participants are to create a hero using only the object editor, using NO triggers and NO imported data.

Challenger:
Krakenn99 (me)

Opponent(s):
Voidray, BalanceDruid7(aka Dzolo), Rence Kristoff

Challenge Duration:
Until December 10

Proposed Reputation Award:
9 (-3 from each loser)

Challenge Judging:
Rufus

Winner Determined By:
Judge -40%
Public Poll - 60%

Rules and Details

Challenge Arena Rules:

• No memory leaks are allowed in triggers or scripts.
  • Challenge results must be bug-free.
  • Copy and paste techniques are not permitted.
  • No exports from other games are acceptable.
Challenge Rules & Conditions:
  • Design a Hero using only object editor data, NO triggers and NO imported data. Simillar to the challenge Kyrbi0 and Direfury had but they were more restricted.
  • One entry per person.
  • No submission may violate the Hiveworkshop Rules and Spells Rules.
  • The hero must be made with only In-Game Resources, which means no Custom Resources (models, textures, icons, etc). Specifically, that means Resources that can be found in War3.mpq, War3x.mpq, War3xlocal.mpq, & War3Patch.mpq. The only exceptions to this rule would be
    • A) A modified version of an existing in-game icon to increase functionality ONLY (i.e. creating a Passive-version, or Autocast-version, or Regular-version, etc); i.e. only Border-change.
    • B) A custom "Hero Glow" model (Chest, Weapon, etc) for use in making Unit models into better-fitting Hero models. PROVIDED HERE by RETERA
    • C) An existing In-Game model, modified to have Dissipate anims instead of Decay.
  • The hero should be balanced qualitatively and quantitatively as if it were a standard hero in standard/ladder WC3 melee games.
  • Your hero must be designed with a max level of 10 in mind.
  • When the hero is complete, submit it to the Challenge thread with the phrase "FINAL" somewhere in the title/post.
  • All submitted entries must use the same test map, which will provided as soon as all participants have accepted the challenge. (Modified as necessary, but not with any drastic changes) (Attached Below)
  • The map you submit your hero in should be set up as a melee map so the hero can be tested in a standard melee game; that means no cinematics or other extraneous additions, aside from:
    • Your custom Hero, it's custom spells, etc (your submission, essentially).
    • Triggers which should be provided to allow a single player to test the hero individually with ease and without having to build an altar and gain experience. (These can be made previously)
    • All submitted entries must have a filename in the format:
      HCH.<MyUserName>.<MyHeroName>.w3x
      Example: HCH.Kyrbi0.Paladin.w3x
    • All submitted entries must have an in-game map name in the format:
      HCH.<MyHeroName>
      Example: HCH.Paladin

The challenge will begin when all participants have read this post and confirmed that they want to participate, by posting in this thread.
You have one week to finish your submission.

Last edited:
Level 11
I have put some triggers in my map for testing. The triggers are not for my spells, they spawn enemies and set the hero level. Just saying... anyways I'm done!

THIS IS MY FIRST AND FINAL ENTRY! (attached below)
Shaman.png

Edit: After everyone is done I'm going to take some screenshot of every hero and add them to the thread for some extra sexyness.

Attachments

• HC - Enhancement Shaman (Krakena).w3x
    25.7 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
Level 10
Tested it and nice hero idea. The only skill I'm guessing is the last skill, was that devour magic? Skill Description gave it to me.
And one of the skills where it said it would hit more than one enemy, well I never saw it, maybe I just didn't wait long enough. And I've looked at your spells, and I didn't expect one or three of them as a base.

Level 26
I have put some triggers in my map for testing. The triggers are not for my spells, they spawn enemies and set the hero level. Just saying... anyways I'm done!

THIS IS MY FIRST AND FINAL ENTRY! (attached below)
Shaman.png

Edit: After everyone is done I'm going to take some screenshot of every hero and add them to the thread for some extra sexyness.
The name or/and title of the hero would further increases its sexiness! :D

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Lol, I just now found this. How cool! And good work simplifying it. Might be harder to Judge (between different kinds of Heroes) but also easier to Judge (no need to Judge 'Balance', for example).

Don't forget to create an agreed-upon set of Judging Criteria for Rufus. Unless you just want to let him do whatever (but you run the risk of someone being upset, ala "Wut?? I didn't know we'd be judged on that!?").

Lookin' forward to the results!

Level 11
Don't forget to create an agreed-upon set of Judging Criteria for Rufus. Unless you just want to let him do whatever (but you run the risk of someone being upset, ala "Wut?? I didn't know we'd be judged on that!?").

Lookin' forward to the results!

Great idea since BalanceDruid always has something that will bother him. I need to speak with him.

Level 10
Never changed the dialogue that pops up at the start, and the RK part of the file/map's name is shorter for my shorter name :razz:
Here is my sad excuse for an entry :mwahaha:
And here is a lame screenshot that I want as a preview for her :xxd:
Hero Challenge.PNG
:grin:

Well Seriously, This is my final/official/ etc submission/entry/ anything else that could describe it.
RK Out :p

Attachments

• HC - RK!.w3x
    22.4 KB · Views: 219
Level 11
Done. Hope you like it.

Oooh I see a pocket factory in there. Honestly pocket factory is the best skill ever cuz it works as if you summon a dummy via triggers. I really liked your hero Void. It's interesting how you sacrafice stats to gain stats, even doe imo his spells don't match his theme very well... at least the molotov one everything else is quite good. Nice job.

Level 10
Let's give him a little more time. I think the rules have something about this, rules of challenges.

Man, I totally forgot something on my map, nevermind, those who download can just place it on a map. One of the arrows were based from the Black Arrow, which turns enemies that die with it's effect into skeletons. The Units there were Immortal :grin:

Last edited:
Level 4
Yo

I'm done, finally.

My first hero failed because I couldn't find a morph spell that changes your other spells, so this caused slowed me down and destroyed everything.

I finished my second hero, although he has one issue, his third ability (Bouldersmash) has no icon because its based on Phoenix Fire ability and I have no way of fixing that. FML

Sorry to keep you waiting.

aee947e5f82e4b5fba2f96eed9b06799.png

Attachments

• HC - Rock Golem (Balancedruid9,Dzolo).w3x
    26.5 KB · Views: 217

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
My first hero failed because I couldn't find a morph spell that changes your other spells, so this caused slowed me down and destroyed everything.
Engineering Upgrade? Or just giving the alternate Hero form different spells?

BalanceDruid7 said:
I finished my second hero, although he has one issue, his third ability (Bouldersmash) has no icon because its based on Phoenix Fire ability and I have no way of fixing that. FML
Usually we just end up creating a "dummy" ability for the icon & tooltip & such, with the Phoenix Fire ability being added via triggers & leveled appropriately... In a 'no-triggers' Contest, I might argue that's a serious enough issue to warrant picking another ability, but meh...

Level 10
Nice choices of skills, didn't expect one of them to be phoenix fire, there's metamorphosis, which I easily found out, you have pocket factory like everyone else, very nice.

When does the voting start?
I already got an idea for a new fun little friendly challenge that is very different from this one.

Last edited:
Level 4
"Kyrbi0, post: 3117715, member: 153942"]Engineering Upgrade? Or just giving the alternate Hero form different spells?

Engineering Upgrade is permanent effect, which was bad for my hero. I needed a way to switch between 2 stances (2 units with different spell set). Tried morph spells but that didn't work either.

Usually we just end up creating a "dummy" ability for the icon & tooltip & such, with the Phoenix Fire ability being added via triggers & leveled appropriately... In a 'no-triggers' Contest, I might argue that's a serious enough issue to warrant picking another ability, but meh...

Yep, I know its fixable with triggers but I can't do that. As far as I know, there is no way of making Phoenix Fire ability itself to show up. I guess I can't help it.

So, question, how bad will that affect my hero? I must change it? or can I leave it be and just lose some points in the judging?

Level 7
Engineering Upgrade is permanent effect, which was bad for my hero. I needed a way to switch between 2 stances (2 units with different spell set). Tried morph spells but that didn't work either.

I dont know, but what happens with a transform-heroability(metamorphose/robogoblin), who has a Engineerring upgrade as basicability? Can this work? Or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.