• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hero Contest #4 [Animalistic Nature] ~ The Poll

Vote for your favorite entry

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poll is 30%, judging is 70%

Also, yeah this wasn't a spell contest which is why coding is only a part of the criteria... and also why the aesthetics and the others are for the overall appearance of the hero (model, icons, tooltips etc)...

For me, I was willing to give 10/10 to those who used OE only, if the quality is good... And if I see effort put into making sure that the OE entries are fine... Due to this, mistakes on the OE is also on the same point reduction as those who has leaks on their code... and lack of effort on fixing basic OE data made me wanna hit Shift-Del on the maps...
Well, it was much easier to edit the OE data than coding a lot for each spell, so at least put effort in making the OE data as good as possible especially tooltips...

Also, OE data is reflected in the aesthetics part too as icons/tooltips are set on the OE... so lack of effort in good OE editing results to a low Aesthetics value too...

Poor coding also sometimes reflects on the aesthetic value of the spells which in turn reduces the overall impact of the hero...

Let's face it, in an overall hero concept, spells still play a lot of role... Just take a look when we compare the melee heroes, what we normally compare is the effectiveness of their abilities in different situations (like how well they go with each race, or when fighting
1-on-1 etc)...

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
I totaly agree with you @Adiktuz, and thats great that w have judge like you.
Personaly I've never told here that it's all about coding, what most ppl blame me for, but to be honest the factors which create a hero are:

- attribute
- spells
And thats all if we are talking about mechanics, because the last factor is the 'fit into race' theme.

The spells represents hero itself, his status, his role and.. his gameplay.
If you put all the spells from MK into PAL you would probably notice no diffrence, pal would be just normal mk with less hp but more mana (and it's true, the more mana str hero has, theb more imba he becomes ^^). So this is the spells what counts the most (I don't tell coding), and that what contestant should take care of at first.

Level 17
I agree but your missing something, its not just that, yes you need spells but its the mechanics of the hero. Look at paladin for example his role for the human race, tanky healer support. His name is Paladin, when you hear paladin thats what you think of. Mountain Kings mechanics are damage hero killer and tank, what else would you expect from a "Mountain king" its not just the spells itself, its the overal mechanics of the hero, what does this hero have to contribute to the race chosen, or to the game itself. Is it just another mountain king? or is it a whole new idea that gives whoever owns this hero an advantage over who doesnt have a way to counter it.

Level 9
Standart spells would make a hero boring, they should be avoided, why don't we start putting standart models in modeling contests?

I think even a shockwave should get coded since this could allow us to make adjustments without being limited to standart fields.

Level 9
True that, but public is attracted to eye candy (that's why it's called like this) than the coding. Most likely, voters of a contest have almost nothing to do with its object. They won't care for a structured code and how well it is built, they will care for the visuals.

eye candy is one of the factors the makes the spell, it's really important, i would even give it 50% of the spell's success rate, but you also need a good concept, idea and leak/lagless interpretation("care for the code and how well it is build").

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
Vote 30% only, so if difference between given participants is small the adventage/disadventage you can get by poll is even less.
Judges judge the world here =)

Espacialy Maggy :SSSSS I bet his comments will make me laught enought to lose my breath.

EDIT: BUGZ YOU READ IN MY MIND. NOOOOOOOOOOO

Level 16
Vote 30% only, so if difference between given participants is small the adventage/disadventage you can get by poll is even less.
Judges judge the world here =)

Espacialy Maggy :SSSSS I bet his comments will make me laught enought to lose my breath.

EDIT: BUGZ YOU READ IN MY MIND. NOOOOOOOOOOO

You are way 2 slow.. Now rep me for being super fast :mwahaha:

Last edited:
Level 17
the maximum points from the judging one could get is 31.5 since its only 70% of the final score. And since theres so many people, that a very close range will be hit with all contestants, so in this contest, with the low values of all the preferences, the public pole can change the outcome of the contest.

Level 16
the maximum points from the judging one could get is 31.5 since its only 70% of the final score. And since theres so many people, that a very close range will be hit with all contestants, so in this contest, with the low values of all the preferences, the public pole can change the outcome of the contest.

Shit we made some low quality -.- ( me being the worse )

I wonder how the 30% is calculated from the voting... I don't think getting 30% of the actual votes is good since it doesn't have a maximum, while the judges judging is only up to 45 points... I think its based on percentage of your votes from the total...

like: 100*[.7*(Judges score/45) + .3(Your votes/Total votes)]

it seems more fair that way...

because if you do it like what you currently want, it won't really be 30%

example:

You got 45 from the judge and then got 100 votes

.7*45 + 100*.3 = 31.5 + 30 = 61.5

and 30 is almost 50% of your total score...

Level 30
OMG INFINITY!

attachment.php

Attachments

• omg.jpg
    omg.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 129
Level 5
why everyone dislikes Bugz's entry? it's nice! i'm gonna vote for him :p
it have nice descrition, nice model, fites the theme very well!
this cannot be, a nice entry to have only 3 votes!

we dislike nobody's work we just vote for the best from our own perspective
they all did a good job and a great work
but the idea is that the best one wins
so we vote for the one we think he's the best.. but we dont dislike anybody i repeat they all did a great job:thumbs_up::thumbs_up:

Status
Not open for further replies.