• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Helping a novice in WE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi there, im kinda new to mapmaking so i apologize if these are very basic questions or anything, moving right along though:

1. how do i make a unit be able to transform into another unit, then turn back into the previous unit (i want to make acolytes be able to turn into shades at will, then be able to turn back into acolytes)

2. how do i make it so only a specific hero can *use* an item, but anyone else can carry it (make frostmourne have an activatable effect, and give bonus stats + damage, i want only the lich king hero to be able to use the active effect, but that any other hero can carry it for the bonus stats + damage)

3. how do i make it so that if i give a hero a specific item, that he will permanantly turn into a different hero - while keeping his inventory and level (i want to make a regular illidan turn into his demonic form forever by putting the skull of gul'dan into his inventory)

4. how can i make it so that if a hero goes to a specific place with a certain item in his inventory that something happens (like if illidan [while holding the skull of gul'dan] goes near a certain building [in this case the black temple] the building will turn to whoevers side controls the illidan)

5. how can i make a pocket factory be able to train regular units like a barracks can - on top of still auto-spawning units.
5 CONT: and on a side note how do i make a pocket factory-type building auto-spawn various types of units instead of just 1 type (I.E. ghouls AND crypt fiends for example)

IK that was quite a few questions but i would really appreciate it if anyone could help me with this :)

Level 25
You just copy an existing ability and modify it. In this case, Bear/Crow Form should suffice. Correctly set it up so it doesn't need any research or needs different one, costs no mana, etc. and make sure you correctly set up unit-types in it (use the default values as reference).

This requires triggering. Actually when you use an item, the unit will cast the spell that item has. So all you need to do is actually catch when unit is about to cast the spell, check if it is an allowed unit-type and either leave it alone or stop it.
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Begins casting an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Item Healing (Greater)
      • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Not equal to Paladin
    • Actions
      • Unit - Order (Triggering unit) to Stop
This trigger prevents any unit from using Potion of Greater Healing (or any other item that uses the Item Healing (Greater) spell) if that unit ain't of type Paladin.

You may need to manually (via trigger editor) create Demon Form Illidan, pick all items from regular Illidan, give them to the Demon Form, then remove anything you don't need and perhaps add level, Xp, etc.
Better (and far easier) may actually be passive transformation via abilities.

This depends on your approach. You either created region (rectangle) that when entered checks the unit that entered it and if it is Illidan with Skull of Gul'dan, you change owner of Black Temple.
Or you can use the event "Unit - unitA comes within range r of unitB.

You can't, because Pocket Factory unit isn't structure, but a regular unit with 0 movement speed, so it lacks some fields that structures use (like the "Units trained" field which specifies which units said structure can train). You may need to change that and make Pocket Factory a structure. However I have no idea how the spell will behave then.
You also cannot make it spawn multiple types of units, because the ability simply lacks such field. You may try to add rawcode of any other types forcefully via holding down shift button while opening field where you set up which unit-types it spawns, but I have no idea if it will work and if it won't actually cause any problems.
You would need to make a substitute - either spawn other (or all) unit types via triggers or use some other ability (for example making the building or a dummy unit cast Dark Portal at the Pocket Factory)

Level 3
You can't, because Pocket Factory unit isn't structure, but a regular unit with 0 movement speed, so it lacks some fields that structures use (like the "Units trained" field which specifies which units said structure can train). You may need to change that and make Pocket Factory a structure. However I have no idea how the spell will behave then.
You also cannot make it spawn multiple types of units, because the ability simply lacks such field. You may try to add rawcode of any other types forcefully via holding down shift button while opening field where you set up which unit-types it spawns, but I have no idea if it will work and if it won't actually cause any problems.
You would need to make a substitute - either spawn other (or all) unit types via triggers or use some other ability (for example making the building or a dummy unit cast Dark Portal at the Pocket Factory)

oh, ok, hmm, well in that case how would i create a building that automatically spawns a small pack of units every 60 seconds (im trying to make my demon race be able to build a portal structure that automatically spawns in greater demons [infernals and doomguards] that are permanant and are not counted as summons (so dispelling or attempting to control magic them would be futile)

really appreciate you answering my question, i expected someone would answer only 1 of the 5 questions i asked or something, you helped me out a ton :) anyways, just 1 more question and then i'll be good :)

how do i make it so i can raise permanant units from corpses - essentially im trying to make a unit that can raise permanant zombies from corpses, i would use the carrion beetle spell but if i recall correctly things summoned from that ability are considered summons and can be dispelled/controlled, so how would it be possible to raise permanant zombies that cant be dispelled?

but again, thank you so much for your help :)

Last edited:
Level 15
If you want to raise permanent zombies from corpses then when a unit dies or whatever spell you have , save the dying unit in a variable and create a timer and after a short time of decaying , create one Immortal Zombie at the point of the corpse
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit dies
  • Conditions
    • (Unit-Type of (Triggering Unit)) Equal to Mortal Zombie
  • Actions
    • Unit Group - Add (Triggering Unit) to Immortal_Zombies
  • Events
    • Unit - A Unit starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
    • (Ability Being Cast) Equal to 'Raise Immortal Zombies'
  • Actions
    • Set Raiser = (Triggering Unit)
    • Set Raiser_Point =(Position of Raiser)
    • Set Zombies_TempGroup = (All Units within range 400 radius from Raiser_Point matching condition ((Matching Unit) is in Immortal_Zombies) Equal To True )
    • Unit Group - Pick Every Unit in Zombies_TempGroup and do multiple actions :
      • Loop
        • Set Zombie_TempPoint = (Position of (Picked Unit))
        • Unit - Create 1 Immortal Zombie in Zombie-TempPoint facing Default Building angle
        • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Zombie_TempPoint)
        • Special effect - Create a special effect on (Last Created Unit)'s overhead using 'Wave.mdl'
        • Special effect - Destroy (Last Created special effect)
    • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Raiser_Point)
    • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_Zombies_TempGroup)
    • Set Raiser = No Unit

Last edited:
Level 3
heyyyyyyyyyyyy... so i know this is a MASSIVE bump but i figured i might as well resume where i left off, alright so im working on essentially a mastery system for one of my races, im going to have a high elf race that can choose (Via research options) to go either blood elves, wretched, or fel elves. i want it so that you can only research one of the options and that, upon completion of the research, all buildings of a certain type convert to the others buildings. as an example the barracks, im going to have a barracks for each race, High Elf Barracks, Fel Elf Barracks, Wretched Barracks, and Blood Elf Barracks, same with town halls and spellcaster buildings (High Elf Town Hall, Blood Elf Town Hall, ect...) so how would i go about converting all the buildings AND units to the other sub-races. i would like that if a player chooses to go wretched for example all high elf structures, units, and workers swap over to the wretched variants. seeing a trigger of this would really help out alot :)

another thing, i have a demon race and i think it would be really cool if they could summon one of the greater demons (Kil'jaedan as an example) to join their side using a hero of a certain level, now the way i want this set up is that the hero starts channeling the "Summon KJ" spell and a timer would appear in like the top right corner or something that displays how long it will take for him to be summoned, everybody sees this timer and the game pings where the summoning is taking place. if the person summoning the demon is killed or moves while casting the spell the casting stops and the timer dissapears, if he starts casting it again the timer reset to the initial amount. if kil'jaeden is summoned successfully i would like the spell to dissapear from the castable spells menu (for obvious reasons, i dont want like 20 kil'jaedans running around). how would i do something like this?

just one more thing too btw :p sorry, but how can i make a hero unrevivable, i would like to make certain overpowered heros unable to be revived (such as kil'jaedan in the above example)

my apologies if my questions are a bit much, or im very vague at explaining things, i tried my best :p

Level 24
#6 Cant you use animated death and set the duration to 0?
In every spell I know, duration of 0 means infinitely. Could be easier and less memory consuming.

#7 You can give a research building of the high elves, the option to choose a specific race.
Once a reseach is finished, replace all units and buildings to whatever you want.
Be carefull with replacing though. Inventories, exp, abilities, etc are not saved and will be removed. You can use a reversed transform ability that I have seen a while ago. (Can't remember where I saw it. I think shadowsvz showed me.)

#8 You can use an ability based of Channel to make the channel effect.
You can make a multiboard with a timer.
You can remove the ability from the casting unit (or loop through all units of the player/all players and remove the summoning ability from every unit.)
You can remove the multiboard with the timer too.

#9 I think that there is an option in the object editor that you can make a unit (hero) reviveable.

Level 3
cool, thanks wietlol, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand yet another question lol

i plan on making a building for a certain race that automatically spawns in a pack (like 3 or so) of permanant units (for this example lets say footmen, grunts, and ghouls) randomly (so like one spawn could have 2 footmen and 1 ghoul, the next could have 1 ghoul and 2 grunts, ect...). my first thought was like a dark portal or pocket factory, pocket factories however spawn temporary units 1 at a time, which isnt really what i want, and regarding the dark portal i dont know how to make it automatically cast the ability on the building so a bit of help would really be appreciated right now :/

i also want this building to be able to be built via a worker (im adding a build cap for them, dont worry :p) as well as having a toggle-able on/off mode (either using commands or like a button on the building itself) so i would assume using regions wouldnt work here due to the mobile nature of it, how would i make something like this. a picture of like a trigger set would help me immensely :)

btw i really apologize about all this, 10 questions is quite a large amount, but its nice to learn :p

Status
Not open for further replies.