• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help with DOTA-like abilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
The abilities that i'm making are similar to the Earthshaker's Fissure (I'm trying to use a tree line instead of the rocks) and the Treant Protector's Overgrowth. I am confused when it comes to creating the multiple trees and I have no idea where to start on the Overgrowth ability. Any help would be awesome.

Level 4
i know this isn't going to help as much as it hurts. but many people don't like people creating spells from dota for other maps. In other words you're not very likely to get someone to help you. (personally I would help you if i knew the abilities first hand, although i can't stand dota so i have no clue...)

Level 7
explain the spell a little more, and I can help you, I have played dota a few times, but I can't remember all teh spells.

Level 6
Fissure:
based off channel
point/unit target (like shockwave).
what it does is stuns units in a line. also, the line is filled with pathing blockers so theres a well there. this wall lasts for a while. (also, if you click on a target unit, the stun will ALWAYS hit the target whether or not he is in the area of the line).

overgrowth:
war-stomp-aoe/cast style where stun is swapped with ensnare.
when casted, all nearby enemies get ensnared.
that simple.
numerion , i dont think its entanglin thats casted; coz it gets affects units in avatar (bkb).

Level 4
hmm the overgroht ability is easy:
base your abiltiy on an instand AoE like eg thonder clap or what ever
then order dummy units in an spezific area around the caster to cast this disurbing roots (dont remember the name-.-) on every unit in the aoe

for fissure i wound use shockwave like SILLYbear
then creat pathing blockers in front of your caster face faceangle of caster and let the pathing blocker look like trees

Level 19
Why do you even post here if you dont know those abilities
Just leave the post alone
dont post "WE NO MAKE DOTA" to get reps like "tru"

About Fissure

There are two things you need to know about fissure
First, polar projection - You need to know how to choose a location with polar projection
Secondly, loops - Loops like For Each A integer from 1 to X that will perform same action many times (create a tree with many times)
go around trigger editor, solve how these actions work then you wont need to ask one more thing

About Overgrowth
Guess what ?!?! TWO THINGS AGAIN
Firstly, Unit Groups - About picking units in area
Secondly, Dummy Units

WTF after a 10 minutes of search I coulndt find a dummy unit tutorial :/

Level 6
Overgrowth is easy(I can do fissure too but I'm lazy right now)

(BTW: This should be MUI because it'll be instant. Also this is in GUI.)

1. Make three "Variables". To make a variable, click "Triggers", then click the "X" icon.

Make a variable called "OverGrowthPoint", make the "Variable type" a "Point".

Make a variable called "OverGrowthGroup", make the "Variable type" a "Unit Group".

Also, make sure it's spelled exactly(removing the variables is case sensitive I think).

2. Go to "Object editor". Create two abilities. Ability one is called "Overgrowth", base the ability off of "Fan of Knives".

This is the ability you'll give to the hero. Add as many levels as you want. For example, I'll give it 4 levels.

Ability two should be based off of "Entangling Roots". Rename it to "Overgrowth (Base).

Remove the "Hero Ability - True" and make it "Hero Ability - False".
(Note - If you want Overgrowth to affect spell immunity units, changed the "Required level" to "6" or higher BEFORE making "Hero Ability - False")

Give it 4 levels as well. Change the values to anything you want.

Make sure it costs 0 mana and make sure it has 999999 cast range though.

numerion , i dont think its entanglin thats casted; coz it gets affects units in avatar (bkb).

Actually, it is Entangling roots. To make any spell go through magic immunity(Note, magic immunity always take 0 damage from spells/magic unless it's triggered), make the ability to "Hero Ability - True", make the "Required Level - " to 6 or higher, then make "Hero Ability - False"(if you want). This automatically makes the ability to be considered as an "Ultimate" and makes it affect spell immunity.

3. Go to "Object editor"(again) and create a custom unit. Name the unit to "Overgrowth Caster"(you can name it anything you want actually).

BTW, you can pick any unit. For example, "copy and paste" a shade(for example, it's under undead units), then rename it to anything you want.

Go to "Art - Model File"(in the unit you created). Click it, then click "Custom", then erase the text and type "nothing".

Go to Art - "Shadow Image (Unit)" - Change it to "None" to remove the shadows.

This will make it so players can't see the units(because it uses no model).

Go to "Abilities", remove any abilities it has. Give two abilities to it, it's called "Locust" and also give it "Invulnerability (Neutral). Give it the "Overgrowth (Base)" ability.

4. Now here's the triggers:

• Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Overgrowth
    • Actions
      • Set OverGrowthPoint = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Set OverGrowthGroup = (Units within 400.00 of OverGrowthPoint matching (((((Matching unit) is A structure) Equal to False) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True)) and (((Owner of (Matching unit)) is an enemy of (Owner of (Triggering unit))) Equal to True)))
      • Unit Group - Pick every unit in OverGrowthGroup and do (Actions)
        • Loop - Actions
          • Unit - Create 1 Overgrowth Caster for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at OverGrowthPoint facing Default building facing degrees
          • Unit - Set level of Overgrowth (Base) for (Last created unit) to (Level of Overgrowth for (Triggering unit))
          • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Night Elf Keeper Of The Grove - Entangling Roots (Picked unit)
          • Unit - Add a 4.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_OverGrowthPoint)
      • Custom script: call DestroyGroup(udg_OverGrowthGroup)
Note - I have the Area of Effect at "400", you can change it to the anything you want.

If you want to make the area of effect bigger as you level up Overgrowth, just use "Arithmetic". Make it ["300" + (Arithmetic again)(100 x "Level of Overgrowth of Trigger Unit")].

For example, that'd make it so that it starts out at 400 range at level 1, then increases to 500/600/700 at levels 2/3/4. Change the values to anything you want.

If you have any questions, ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.