• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[Spell] How DOTA's Treant Protector's Ultimate works (Overgrowth)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
Yeah so the question is, how does this spell really function (as I'm too lazy to figure out myself).

Link for those who don't know what neither Overgrowth and DOTA is

Summons an overgrowth of damaging vines and branches. Prevents all nearby enemies from moving or attacking and deals damage to each.

• Damage type: magical
• Prevents usage of the Blink spell.
• Disable works on currently magic immune units, however if a unit becomes magic immune while already affected by Overgrowth, they will break free.

So that's the information given from PlayDota. What I know from the OpenDota version this spell is made with a dummy unit casting entangling roots at all units in the area and the whole spell is done. This is not how I want it as I will trigger it all from immobailize to damage. All I need is some information like

• You cannot attack the tooltip says, does this disable both melee and range or just melee?
  • Does this disable using spells?
  • If those above are true, then this spell just acts like a stun + immobilize right?
  • Prevents blink apparantly, does normal entangling roots this as well?
  • Where's the damage tick, each 1 second or each 0.5?

If you could answer these questions above (some might be way too obvious but just clearing things out) I would be thankful.

~baassee

Entangling roots not only disallow attacks, but spells that have to do with movement, e.g. Blink. It in fact says that in the tooltip:
Causes roots to burst from the ground, immobilizing, disarming and damaging a target enemy temporarily.
As for the Blink, the error "Caster's movement has been disabled" shows up when you try to blink out of the roots.
DotA's most spells tick every 1.00 seconds. Yes, it works every second.

If you are about to customize everything, you will need to add/remove the abilities that the units are ordered to cast. As for the attacks, you can remove their attack ability, by adding Cargo Hold (Orc Burrow) to the unit and add it back, after the effect ends.

Level 13
This spell is used from Entangle.
It will disabled range and melee attack,but can cast spell when entangled.
It not immobilize because the entangled hero still can cast spell.
And like Phantom Strike(Phantom Assasin),it can blink,but normal blink(anti-mage blink),
it can't work.
Every 1 second deal XXX damage.Last 3 second.

Level 22
Phantom Strike is not a blink, it creates an illusion.

Yeah I know but I just wonder, if it cannot cast blink but others spells I have to prevent the orderid of blink in that case. I got each function done already (or J4L made it) so I just need to put it all together.

Alright I think I got all the info I need for now.

EDIT:

As if they're paused they cannot cast spells and that is against the function of the spell.

Level 13
Phantom Strike is not a blink, it creates an illusion.

Yeah I know but I just wonder, if it cannot cast blink but others spells I have to prevent the orderid of blink in that case. I got each function done already (or J4L made it) so I just need to put it all together.

Alright I think I got all the info I need for now.

EDIT:

As if they're paused they cannot cast spells and that is against the function of the spell.

Phantom strike is a blink,but not blink POINT,it blink to a target unit,also,if get entangled,the hero still can cast phantom strike.
EDIT: Sometimes,i playing dota,the phantom strike cannot cast,but,last time i can cast,holy shit? O_O
EDIT 2: Maybe you can create a dummy and add Silence to the dummy,cast silence,last 3 second?

Level 7
A simple way to do a spell much like this is using the Silence Ability. Although most people proberly think it can only disable usage of spells, Silence can do alot of things.
It can modify movement speed (Be sure to going onto Gameplay Constants - Movement - Minimum Movement speed, and set it to 0) it can disable ranged and melee attack, and can also give targets a chance to miss, or changed attack speed. It even adds a buff and has an easily changed AoE. But everything else needed for mass entangle(apart from no-Blinking) can be worked into this spell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.