• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Help! This model looks transparent what do I do?, Thanks..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
What does "looks transparent" even mean?
I suppose it means the OP-er doesn't see the model in editor/in game. I think it means an equivalent of "it's invisible". I believe he doesn't know that Transparent is a texture setting in material layers, so he's not aware of the ambiguity.

First thing to ask the OP in my opinion is if he/she read and followed the automatic import guide to set the .blp (skin) path correctly. In case the OP didn't read the guide I'll go ahead and link it: How to import 'RPG Elven Rogue' | HIVE

to the OP: follow that guide for your import and if the problem persists you can reply here.

Alternatively, DSG has already done the work correctly in the testmap. You can use that and if you need to import the model somewhere else just use the same import settings as DSG's testmap :).
___

to DSG: your answer already solved the problem. Mine is just an attempt at teaching the OP to use the automatic tutorials and set textures/skins paths by himself, so he doesn't need to ask questions like this one the next time he faces another model using a custom skin

Last edited:
Level 14
In a situation where reflection and scattering isn't a factor, like the present one, wouldn't you agree that a completely transparent medium, one that can completely be seen through, also cannot be seen? This would make it pretty much the same as invisible.
If your model has complete transparency and it's tested as replacement for a unit model, you classically still see the shadow. Would it be strange that a person then on the basis of this goes ahead and calls the model transparent?

And more pertinently, is this even something to discuss? ^_^ case is closed (hopefully) and let's all be friends

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In a situation where reflection and scattering isn't a factor, like the present one, wouldn't you agree that a completely transparent medium, one that can completely be seen through, also cannot be seen? This would make it pretty much the same as invisible.
Transparency is a mechanic for blending different images together. Or more appropriately so that the resulting texels for different fragment samples with same position can be blended together to form a pixel in the final image.

As such one can describe transparency (or opaqueness) as a normalized value. In WC3 a "alpha" value of 0 (0.0) represents completely transparent while 255 (1.0) represents completely opaque. A value such as 127 or 128 is approximately a half blend so that the resulting pixel value comes half from both samples being blended. This is technically correct as WC3 work in linear colour space, however WC3's colour management is wrong as it does not perform sRGB colour correction so blending results are visually off.

Level 14
I see technical jargon in great abundance but nothing that contradicts the principles that I reported. Reflection is not a factor, hence if something is completely transparent it is practically invisible. Your contribution, while mildly interesting, is unfortunately vague and is also heavily off topic.
I friendly invite you to not indulge into assuming that your own level of technical knowledge and jargon is shared by your audience, otherwise you raise the chance of generating situations where what you want to convey isn't understood: as far as I'm concerned, this is one of those situations.
Due to facts already mentioned above, it is completely justified to think that someone that says that he has an unexpectedly transparent model is in truth meaning to say that he can't see it in-game/in-editor. No dictionary definition should be quoted to support the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.