• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What do you look for in an RPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
I'm putting in all the best things I can into my map, but I'm curious if there's something I'm missing that could be there. For super secretive purposes, I'm not going to tell you what's currently in my map, I'm just simply asking...

What is it you look for you play a Warcraft III RPG?

Level 4
Well, there've been a couple of RPGs I've played that start off instantly without much (or any) explanation of how to get started. Needless to say I left almost immediately. Also, since it's an RPG and all, make sure the terrain is really good. No one wants to play on a map that's boring. Items are also crucial - keep them balanced, and don't add retarded combo weapons that only two people will ever learn how to make. Finally, keep in mind that even if you import everything so that the game looks cool, it's the gameplay that matters. Several of the most popular games in the past have used all the normal Blizzard stuff. Hope this helps! GL with your game.
-Z

Level 2
One of the best things for any game is Evolution. Reaching a certain "X" and evolving to something better.

If you could work something into a game that made it so that doing "A" had you evolve into something or by doing "B" made you something else, it would be cool.

However dont just make it paths or quest. Make it every action such as if you could turn ranged attack on/off and then by accumulating "X" amount of ranged hits "Variable" is changed so that upon reach level 2 you morph into "X" hero.

Level 12
I look for hundreds of different ways to customize my guys. That means a load of items and stuff but they will make me like to play it. Also if I get to completely make my own guys, or pick from a horde of people, that is good. I dislike the Black Road becaue there are only like 6 guys to pick from. There are some RPGs with only about 50 items which isn't a whole ton for an rpg but it has about 50 different guys top pick from too. That makes it good.

Level 2
I like good story lines. Things that require teamwork but also you can do it by yourself if you wanted. I also want something to keep me entertained and something that makes me want to play the game again.

This is just an idea i had but it was of an rpg which was different every time. How it worked was that everytime a game started it would randomly choose a time or story out of maybe 20 different ones. And then the towns and units and quests get built while ur waiting 1 minute for it to load. and then you start off in any random place and do the rpg as normal. When you play the game again though it is completely different, you start off in a new place, there are different towns, different heros, different bosses etc. I hope that makes sense but i suppose it probably won't happen.

Btw one of my favourite rpg's is legacies. It has a kool view and a unique feel to it. The max level is like 15 and it is really hard to get up to it. Most of it involves teamwork which is also pretty kool and it has a mad storyline.

Level 26
Almost every rpg on wc3 makes you feel like you are doing the same thing over and over again. Almost none of them have any story development. You're an archer. You have no past. You have no life beyond killing the evil mutant platypus terrorizing the candy cane cave, then getting 52 gold for it so you can buy a better bow and kill the flaming monkey in your pants and get 36 more gold for it.
Disclaimer: This was a dramatization. I take no responsibility for apparent storylines ripped off from an rpg containing actual mutant platypuses and monotonous archers.

If you make an rpg, please more than one cinematic and develop a story beyond an intro.

Whitehorn, congress is full of women containing natural organs. I'd be delighted to hear you associate the US senate with vaginas.

Level 1
What do I look for in an RPG? Hm... tough question. I don't think I can say it all in one post, but here it goes...

1. A Storyline
  2. Unique, Interesting Characters with Great, Non-Average Abilities
  3. Custom Models / Skins / Icons (Optional)
  4. Reasonable Quests
  5. Enjoyable and Not Boring
  6. Re-playable With a Loading System that WORKS
  7. Reasonable Play Time

And more... but I can't just list them all down in one posting... :D

Level 7
2 things would be really nice:

1) Various and interesting quests- not just go, kill, bring item.

2) Multiple choices. You can choose many paths. If you do one thing, it blocks some quests, but enables others. Something like that. For example- you helped one village a lot, with your help they defeated some tribe, so you can't make quests from that tribe, because they are dead.

3) Storyline and cinematics. Cinematics can't be too long. This is one of the worst things in campaigns and RPG's - too long and boring cinematics. I prefer laconic messages than whole essays in cinematics.

But you should tell something about your map Cyrus. What type of RPG will this be? Single player? Or like Defiance- loading/saving system, big levels, no plot.

I don't like RPGs like Defiance or Julien's RPG, because if I wanted to level my hero for looooooooooooooooong, I would install Diablo 2, Fable, Neverwinter Nights, etc.

If your RPG was like Blizzards Beastmaster's(what was his name?) campaign/RPG, and it had similiar quality, it would be awesome.

Level 35
I think that we can summarize it into one list.

:Beautiful Terrain- NOONE wants to play anything on a piece of flat uninteresting land and we dont want to see horrible terrain selections.

:An excellent and expansive story-NOONE really wants to play the same old boring "you are a farmer and -insert creature here- attacks your village" and it needs to drag the player into the story.

:Good gameplay-An RPG needs to have original gameplay and like rui said the spawn and hero is getting boring. And as players we want customablility and player freedom and an interactive world.

:Good aesthetics-We dont want to read or hear 1337 in any form except mabye in the funny parts as an easter egg not as the main language. Also tooltips, dialougue and such needs to be readable and it needs to match the story theme. If its medevil dont put this "hey man thats pretty friken sweet thats the coolest" use a more shakespearian or old english approach. Also good theme matching music and if you can voices we dont really want to hear death metal while your in a castle love scene nor do we want to hear (most of us) Rock while sieging a fortress. And finally while it is optional good skins and models can really bring out the characters.

Level 8
1. A good background theme would help.
2. The terrain has to be excellent.
3. The story really has to be interesting otherwise I won't play it if it's just hack and slash.
4. A reasonable amount of playing time. You have to understand that there are a lot of other ORPGS on Warcraft 3 and that we won't play your map if it takes to long to level up.

Status
Not open for further replies.