• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Hacking incident

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
It seems some computer experts are notifying me about my email getting compromised, and i subscribed to a website where most hacking incidents occurred named as "haveibeenpwned.com".

P.S. I found a person claiming to be a Paypal/Credit card hacker. I'm not sure if it's legit or an edgy manchild trying to be a badass.
archive.is/uGBg4

UPDATE: Now this is a breaking news, an epidemic ransomware called "WannaCrypt" is spreading around the world and will destroy your files unless you have Windows 10.

To stop the ransomware to spread at your computer follow these steps:

1. Turn off the internet, Back-up all of your files to external hard drive.
2. Turn on Windows Updates and Install all Microsoft offers to your Windows updates.
3. Update your Antivirus software. If you don't have one, Install one of the best Antiviruses like Avast and MalwareBytes.
4. Update your Browser.
5. Download the MS17-010 security update. if you didn't find one turn off SMBv1.

How to Disable SMBv1.
1. Open your Control Panel, go into Programs, and then click Turn Windows features on or off.
2. In the Windows Features window, clear the SMB1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support checkbox, and then click OK to close the windows.
3. Restart the system.

If you have infected by the ransomware, DO NOT PAY whoever owns the ransomware.

Give +rep if i helped you a lot.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
omg, where to start?

It seems some computer experts are notifying me about my email getting compromised,
Who and how?

i subscribed to a website where most hacking incidents occurred named as "haveibeenpwned.com".
Huh?

P.S. I found a person claiming to be a Paypal/Credit card hacker.
So?

an epidemic ransomware called "WannaCrypt" [...] will destroy your files
The files will not be destroyed afaik. The ransomware will encrypt some files, based on their extension.

unless you have Windows 10.
Not really imho.
...now, is that you DSG? :wink:

1. Turn off the internet, [...]
2. Turn on Windows Updates [...]
Microsoft Update / Windows Update requires a working internet connection. Plus, it should never be disabled in the first place.

3. Update your Antivirus software. If you don't have one, Install one of the best Antiviruses like Avast and MalwareBytes.
Starting with Vista, Windows includes an anti-malware.
Windows 10 includes both an antivirus and an anti-malware.

About Avast:
Avast Update Kills Internet Access - MajorGeeks
Best protection against internet threats indeed, and consistent with advice #1 to turn off the internet...
gg Avast! :xxd:

Malwarebytes 3 is still more of an anti-malware than an antivirus imho:
Malwarebytes Premium

In case you were referring to Malwarebytes' anti-exploit (MBAE), updated standalone versions of it can stlll be downloaded from here:
MBAE 1.09 - Latest standalone BETA

For the record, one should not use more than one anti-exploit at the same time.

4. Update your Browser.
Not sure this would prevent such exploits / ransomwares from working / spreading atm.

5. Download the MS17-010 security update. if you didn't find one turn off SMBv1.
This is what Microsoft has to say about the WannaCrypt attacks:
- Customer Guidance for WannaCrypt attacks
- How to enable and disable SMB in some versions of Windows

More stuff:
- Microsoft Security Bulletin MS17-010 - Critical
- Microsoft Update Catalog - KB4012598
(for so-called 'outdated'/'unsupported' Windows OSes)

If you have infected by the ransomware, DO NOT PAY whoever owns the ransomware.
Sadly, some will have no choice but to.

Last edited:
Level 19
Microsoft is the one who released that virus

do not update your windows! !!!!!!!

Microsoft has been caught numerous times spreading virus via their updates to damage earlier models of windows. this so you are forced to buy a new computer/update

they have even been caught embedding virus into their Microsoft mouse's to stop working after awhile so you buy a new one

if you get a virus on your computer. back up your files and reset to factory settings. then reload your files... disable widows updates permanently! !!!!!

I did it with my vista and for 15 years I haven't had a single problem

Level 35

do not update your windows! !!!!!!!

Microsoft has been caught numerous times spreading virus via their updates to damage earlier models of windows. this so you are forced to buy a new computer/update

they have even been caught embedding virus into their Microsoft mouse's to stop working after awhile so you buy a new one

if you get a virus on your computer. back up your files and reset to factory settings. then reload your files... disable widows updates permanently! !!!!!

I did it with my vista and for 15 years I haven't had a single problem

maxresdefault.jpg

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So people are aware it did not affect Windows 7 machines that were updated. It only affected Windows XP machines (all of them) and Windows 7 machines that were not updated in the last few months (possibly even years). It probably affected Windows Vista machines but as good as no one ever used those hence they would have made up an insignificant fraction of infested machines. Most infections were caused by an exploit in some OS level network protocol allowing arbitrary code execution upon receiving a specially constructed communication, a like to those that occurred late 1990s and early 2000 before network stacks were standardized and better engineered. As it used an exploit toolkit it had other methods of infection as well.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
[...] I did it with my vista and for 15 years I haven't had a single problem
This means we are currently in 2022, since Vista was released worldwide on January 2007

if you get a virus on your computer. back up your files [...]
Too late...

[...] disable widows updates permanently! !!!!!
Not a great idea if one is connected to a network imho

Nonsense

I doubt it

Care to elaborate on that one, please?

Level 19
This means we are currently in 2022, since Vista was released worldwide on January 2007

Too late...

Not a great idea if one is connected to a network imho

Nonsense

I doubt it

Care to elaborate on that one, please?
ok you got me, I haven't had my computer that long. I think I've had it for at least 10 years, too tired to do the calculations.

Microsoft was caught with an embedded virus inside their mouse's. their mouse's would listen out for a software release and then so symptoms of not working ( flickering on and off like it's becoming faulty). people who found out threatened to sue Microsoft but Microsoft released a statement along the lines, 'we did not force you to buy the mouse or download the update. these are our products and we can do what we like with thm'

Microsoft is evil. I have never updated (at least since hearing of these cases) and have never had any problems

Microsoft was caught with an embedded virus inside their mouse's. their mouse's would listen out for a software release and then so symptoms of not working ( flickering on and off like it's becoming faulty). people who found out threatened to sue Microsoft but Microsoft released a statement along the lines, 'we did not force you to buy the mouse or download the update. these are our products and we can do what we like with thm'

Microsoft is evil. I have never updated (at least since hearing of these cases) and have never had any problems
1) Do you have any proof?
2) Not all mouses are manufactured by Microsoft. Most hardware (and their drivers) you use here are made by other companies.

3) That's probably your own fault. Why would Microsoft waste their money doing stuffs like this?
4) If Microsoft is evil, then why bothering to offer a hotfix for the outdated Windows XP? Or rather, why bother give away free updates instead of putting all updates into Service Packs and force users to buy them for updates (just like EA and its DLCs)?

Reactions: pyf

pyf

pyf

Level 32
I would suggest people to please link to their sources. Of course, original independent research on that subject is most welcome too.

So people are aware it did not affect Windows 7 machines that were updated. It only affected Windows XP machines (all of them) and Windows 7 machines that were not updated in the last few months (possibly even years). It probably affected Windows Vista machines but as good as no one ever used those hence they would have made up an insignificant fraction of infested machines. [...]

WannaCry / WannaCrypt targeted Windows 7. The original WannaCry does not infect Windows XP boxes:
Over 98% of All WannaCry Victims Were Using Windows 7
The original WannaCry does NOT infect Windows XP boxes @ AskWoody

[...] Most infections were caused by an exploit in some OS level network protocol allowing arbitrary code execution upon receiving a specially constructed communication, a like to those that occurred late 1990s and early 2000 before network stacks were standardized and better engineered. As it used an exploit toolkit it had other methods of infection as well.
About the SMBv1 hole / worm / exploit itself (which is not an exclusive to WannaCry / WannaCrypt, nor an exclusive to any specific OS version):
The worm that spreads WanaCrypt0r - Malwarebytes Labs

More info from AskWoody about WannaCry / WannaCrypt:
Tag » WannaCry « @ AskWoody
Tag » WannaCrypt « @ AskWoody

Quoted from the same source:
"Microsoft’s sticking to the “WannaCrypt” name while most of the popular press has moved to “WannaCry.” I switched from WannaCrypt to WannaCry, too, in response to an edit. The worm calls itself “Wana Decrypt0r” with a zero. Malware researchers pick their own names, and there’s no central authority assigning names to specific infections. It’s all about branding, folks — I guess “WannaCry” sounds more compelling."

For those interested in Microsoft's security patches / updates, and the problems they might eventually cause on some PCs:
Category » Windows Patches/Security « @ AskWoody

Some related information mentioning the exploits and hacking tools leaked online in April 2017 by The Shadow Brokers:
Shadow Brokers and what the leaks mean to Windows users @ AskWoody

For the record, I was first made aware of WannaCrypt / WannaCry thanks to this page on Technet.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
:confused:2 A rage post from September 2015 from an angry tech who had issues in the last two weeks on three computers out of more than 1,000, and who provides no clear specifics about which the faulty Microsoft update(s) is/are?

[...]

Again, proofs? Links pointing to reputable sources of information?

You are saying that Microsoft released WannaCry / WannaCrypt
You are saying that Microsoft has spread viruses which target previous OS versions, via their updates.
You are saying that Microsoft has been caught embedding virus into their mouse driver(s?)

ok you got me, I haven't had my computer that long. I think I've had it for at least 10 years, too tired to do the calculations.

Ok, so 2017-10 = 2007.
... which means your Vista OS does not have any Service Pack installed?

I am pointing out that at first, Vista had many compatibility issues with some applications. Microsoft soon released an update, which would later become a part of the SP1, and is now obsoleted.
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-vista-application-compatibility-update
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929427/the-windows-vista-application-compatibility-update

Level 19
:confused:2 A rage post from September 2015 from an angry tech who had issues in the last two weeks on three computers out of more than 1,000, and who provides no clear specifics about which the faulty Microsoft update(s) is/are?

Again, proofs? Links pointing to reputable sources of information?

You are saying that Microsoft has spread viruses which target previous OS versions, via their updates.
You are saying that Microsoft has been caught embedding virus into their mouse driver(s?)

Ok, so 2017-10 = 2007.
... which means your Vista OS does not have any Service Pack installed?

I am pointing out that at first, Vista had many compatibility issues with some applications. Microsoft soon released an update, which would later become a part of the SP1, and is now obsoleted.
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...indows-vista-application-compatibility-update
- https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929427/the-windows-vista-application-compatibility-update
powerful enough o play skyrim, write in Microsoft, program and watch videos

I've never encountered any compatibility problems except for maybe java not allowing databases though I think thats a java problem.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
powerful enough o play skyrim, write in Microsoft, program and watch videos

I've never encountered any compatibility problems except for maybe java not allowing databases though I think thats a java problem.
I have the feeling that you are trying to elude my questions for some reason.

Again,

Proofs? Links pointing to reputable sources of information, please?

Also, does your Vista OS have any Service Pack installed? And if yes, then which one please?

Level 19

Again,

Also, does your Vista OS have any Service Pack installed? And if yes, then which one please?
I'll have to check for service packs when I get home. I believe I got a few from games so I probably do have some.

I remember a particular virus when it came time for the mouse virus to spread. it was called the Pharaoh virus or something similar because your mouse kept dying and coming back to life. but when I Google it now I can't find it

there have also been cases where perfectly legal windows computers have falsely flag windows not genuine. evenly resulting in broken pcs.. finding nothing

oh well that's life

pyf

pyf

Level 32
UPDATE: [...] an epidemic ransomware called "WannaCrypt" is spreading around the world and will destroy your files [...]
The files will not be destroyed afaik. The ransomware will encrypt some files, based on their extension.
WannaCry Development Errors Enable File Recovery

Again,

@TheLordOfChaos201: I am still waiting...

Fyi, this is what a Windows Service Pack is:
Service pack - Wikipedia

Windows Vista has 2 Service Packs: SP1 and SP2; and one Platform Update. Plus all the additional security updates, plus the optional ones (not security-related), plus the hotfixes (which can be security-related or not).

I remember a particular virus when it came time for the mouse virus to spread. it was called the Pharaoh virus or something similar because your mouse kept dying and coming back to life. but when I Google it now I can't find it

there have also been cases where perfectly legal windows computers have falsely flag windows not genuine. evenly resulting in broken pcs.. finding nothing

oh well that's life
I notice that so far you are unable to provide any link to substantiate anything you say in this thread...

Last edited:
Level 19
WannaCry Development Errors Enable File Recovery

@TheLordOfChaos201: I am still waiting...

Fyi, this is what a Windows Service Pack is:
Service pack - Wikipedia

Windows Vista has 2 Service Packs: SP1 and SP2; and one Platform Update. Plus all the additional security updates, plus the optional ones (not security-related), plus the hotfixes (which can be security-related or not).

I notice that so far you are unable to provide any link to substantiate anything you say in this thread...
You can begin the paraded

I can't find anything and it's my word against the internets.

but... mark my words, Microsoft will find their collective pants down in the future once again and when it happens you will hear my posts burning though your eye balls

pyf

pyf

Level 32
You still did not tell me yet, whether or not your copy of Windows Vista has any Service Pack installed. And if yes, then which one.

I can't find anything and it's my word against the internets.
You mean that all the evidence that Microsoft is (as you claim) the one who released WannaCry / WannaCrypt (and other such things) has... disappeared from the internet?...
Wow...

tin-foil-hat.jpg

but... mark my words, Microsoft will find their collective pants down in the future once again and when it happens you will hear my posts burning though your eye balls
Yeah, yeah... I am sooo very eager to read them already... :ogre_hurrhurr:

Level 19
You still did not tell me yet, whether or not your copy of Windows Vista has any Service Pack installed. And if yes, then which one.

You mean that all the evidence that Microsoft is (as you claim) the one who released WannaCry / WannaCrypt (and other such things) has... disappeared from the internet?...
Wow...

View attachment 269958

Oh please information disappears off the internet all the Time

quite recently about a month into trumps presidency he accidental launched a nuclear bomb at lower Africa. it was in the news, our politicians were screaming their heads of in parliament about it... but now if you look for it you won't find any information.

A whistle blower here, even before Snowdon, release that street lamps have microphones and other recording devices in them. he was In a very news worthy court case defending himself. the media was invited but removed behind a sound proof screen. when the defendant went up to defend himself every time he spoke the speakers went on mute and the media could not hear his defences. the judge stated. 'please note that I am not pushing the button which silences the defendant but rather it is as if some outside force is muting him'

America also accidentally dropped deactivated nuclear bombs on a few more countries. I believe them to be silent threats. but though the news reports it the internet forgets.

Australia's barrier reef has received a bomb
Iraq

and I think those are it

Level 22
I would suggest people to please link to their sources. Of course, original independent research on that subject is most welcome too.
I'm not sure and just wondering, is this becoming a serious discussion? Because it seems that way or at least about to become that way. :xxd: But it sure is interesting. ~

Look, he just changed the topic :ogre_hurrhurr:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
@TheLordOfChaos201 :

Please stay on-topic.

You seem to add lots of other unrelated statements to your already existing claims, in the hopes to make them all the more believable. But again, you do not provide any links to any reliable source of information. Feels like a smoke screen to me.

Please feel free to post these other unrelated statements in another thread, if you feel like it.

I highly doubt so far that your claims make any sense. WannaCry / WannaCrypt is being thoroughly discussed and documented. It is impossible imho that such an information could have disappeared from the internet.

You still did not tell me yet, whether or not your copy of Windows Vista has any Service Pack installed. And if yes, then which one. This is something you can check out yourself. I trust that this information has not disappeared from your Windows Vista OS, because of whatever / whoever?
:grin:

I'm not sure and just wondering, is this becoming a serious discussion? Because it seems that way or at least about to become that way. :xxd: But it sure is interesting. ~

@Rheiko: It is both a serious thread and subject, with not that many serious and/or documented posts in it imho.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
EsteemAudit: an in-depth analysis:
A Dissection of the “EsteemAudit” Windows Remote Desktop Exploit - Palo Alto Networks Blog

EsteemAudit is part of the hacking tools released by the Shadow Brokers on April 14th 2017. Like EnglishmanDentist and ExplodingCan, it did not receive any official patch by Microsoft as of this writing afaik.

An unofficial mitigation / remediation technique exists against this exploit, though:
Security Firm Releases Windows XP Patch for NSA Exploit ESTEEMAUDIT

As a reminder:
Protecting customers and evaluating risk

** update **

Official fix by Microsoft released on June 13, 2017:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...update-for-windows-xp-and-windows-server-2003

The unofficial mitigation / remediation technique (done by a third party) mentioned above should therefore not be used anymore.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
"Microsoft releases additional updates for older platforms to protect against potential nation-state activity"

June 2017 security update release

Quoting:
[...]

Further Resources:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
As yet-another means to raise awareness, people are kindly invited to read the weekly security bulletins from US-CERT:
Bulletins | US-CERT

This site may have other pages of possible interest. Like:
National Cyber Awareness System | US-CERT

Quoting Wikipedia, "US-CERT is responsible for analyzing and reducing cyber threats, vulnerabilities, disseminating cyber threat warning information, and coordinating incident response activities. The division brings advanced network and digital media analysis expertise to bear on malicious activity targeting the networks within the United States and abroad."

United States Computer Emergency Readiness Team - Wikipedia

Some links pointing to US-CERT used to be available on someone's profile.
For some reason, I feel compelled to repost some of these links in this thread.

Level 22
Last time I had a problem like this was when I still downloading random executables from the net, that was back in 2004. Oh! And also the occasional adware from adult and anime video stream sites I went to nyahah XD

Level 9
Last time I had a problem like this was when I still downloading random executables from the net, that was back in 2004. Oh! And also the occasional adware from adult and anime video stream sites I went to nyahah XD

Dem old times. Less drama, bigotry and assholes. I missed my favorite 2000's.
My account was Firedragon94 back there.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
When it comes to any computer dysfunction, PEBCAK-related issues must also be taken into account.

This is why we, as users, must fix ourselves first and foremost.
... and no, I am not talking about having drugs, dammit!
:xxd:

Dem old times. Less drama, bigotry and assholes. I missed my favorite 2000's. [...]
In the mid-1990s when the Internet was first made available as a consumer product, computers were still widely considered to be a 'geek' thing by people.

Starting with the first half of the 2000s, the (commercial) Web slowly began to rise and take over
(I am pointing out here that the www is only a very very tiny subset of the Internet). It drew more new, non technically-minded audiences to using desktop computers, with varying degrees of success.

Since the mid-2000s, the rise of the (so-called) social networks drew (even more) non tech-savvy people into using computers. And desktop computers themselves were being replaced more and more, first by laptops, then by handheld multimedia communication devices.

I miss my favorite 1990s.
:wink:

Last edited:
Level 22
What's with all that detailed answers though, you write like a reddit bot pyf. Also, that was a compliment.

"This is why we, as users, must fix ourselves first and foremost." - pyf
Um, nope. I like fucking up, keeps me human.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Thanks, even though I have no idea how Reddit bots write.

The question could be, what is this thread about exactly?

I understand so far that it may or may not be related to the Shadow Brokers' release of stolen software tools coming from *cough* somewhere. It may or may not also be related to how Microsoft unexpectedly reacted very early to this release of stolen software tools from *cough* somewhere.

Maybe this thread has not reached its full potential yet? (which is admittedly hard to achieve because of Rule #10).

What do you think?

Level 9
At first look i would laught at this thread, but after checking my email, i have saw that apparently i have now BIT.AC account and someone from paris tried to log on my discord account, + my email was inside Anti Public Combo List, with bilions of emails inside it. so, fml

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Quoted from:
Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226 for PC - Windows Experience Blog

"Today [June 21, 2017] we are excited to release Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16226 for PC to Windows Insiders in the Fast ring!

What’s New in Build 16226 For PC:

[...]

Windows 10 and SMB1: As part of a multi-year security plan, we are removing the SMB1 networking protocol from Windows by default. This build has this change, however the change only affects clean installations of Windows, not upgrades. We are making this change to reduce the attack surface of the OS. Here are some more details to take note of:

• All Home and Professional editions now have the SMB1 server component uninstalled by default. The SMB1 client remains installed. This means you can connect to devices from Windows 10 using SMB1, but nothing can connect to Windows 10 using SMB1. We still recommend you uninstall SMB1 if you are not using it. In a later feature update of Windows 10, we may uninstall SMB1 client if we detect that you are not using it.
  • All Enterprise and Education editions have SMB1 totally uninstalled by default.
  • The removal of SMB1 means the removal of the legacy Computer Browser service. The Computer Browser depends exclusively on SMB1 and cannot function without it.
For more information on why SMB1 is being removed, see: Stop using SMB1

For more information on software and devices that require SMB1, see SMB1 Product Clearinghouse"

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
An overdue CnP...

"After previously stating it was dropping support for EMET in July 2018, Microsoft announced yesterday [June 28, 2017] plans to embed its vaunted EMET security toolkit in the Windows 10 kernel during the operating system's major update, scheduled for October-November 2017. [...]

EMET, which stands for Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit, is a standalone application that users can install and bolster the defenses of their Windows operating systems."

More details here:
- Microsoft Will Embed EMET Into Windows 10 Starting This Fall
- Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 16232 for PC + Build 15228 for Mobile - Windows Experience Blog

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Statistics and facts about the EternalBlue vulnerability (and SMBv1) posture worldwide:
Eternal Blues - Worldwide Statistics

These ongoing scanning results use the data collected by Eternal Blues, a free EternalBlue vulnerability scanner. It can help find blind spots in one's network that are vulnerable to the NSA-linked EternalBlue exploit.

Should this thread be locked?
:con:

Maybe no.

Status
Not open for further replies.