• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Guide me please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Can someone guide me please, my World Editor is running quite slow even though I disabled the Brush List already. Can you list me all of the things that would speed up the World Editor.

Occurring lags:
- Object Editor (creating units/doodads/abilities/etc) - "Takes 5 to 10 seconds to load"
- Loading the map. - "It should take 3 to 5 seconds after loading everything but it loads 8 to 15 seconds; 20 seconds worse"
- Deleting a variable. - "Deleting 1 variable takes about 30 seconds, dunno why; sometimes crashes the editor"
- Slow list accumulation. - "By list I mean Object Editor fields like Abilities, Model File, Icon, Ground Texture etc; even Trigger Editor accumulating units in a Unit Type variable is slow."

My specs:
Windows 10 Home Basic
Intel Pentium CPU N3710 1.60GHz x64 (64bit)
4Gb ram
Intel HD Graphics 405

Level 5
i think he/she means you are using a lot of Preset units in trigger Editor when you want to set a variable unit or using unit functions you can use the Preset units which can be obtained by selecting a unit in Trigger editor this might make the map slower but iv experienced the same thing with my map which is heavy by importing too many Models and use a lot Dooads and trees i suggest to code triggers in other map and terrain your map in the different map apart the Coding map and after your project finished import your custom models ,units , abilities,triggers to your terrain map it would be much more faster and safer

Level 11
What do you mean by that? Can you elaborate?
Well when choosing a unit variable in the trigger editor you can hit the "Select a Unit" button (might be named slightly differently in different locales) and click on a unit that has been placed on the map. If you do this too much then it will start to lag the trigger editor. Each unit selected this way creates a variable that never goes away and adds a lot of overhead since the editor is old and coded poorly.

Level 5
i think he/she means you are using a lot of Preset units in trigger Editor when you want to set a variable unit or using unit functions you can use the Preset units which can be obtained by selecting a unit in Trigger editor this might make the map slower but iv experienced the same thing with my map which is heavy by importing too many Models and use a lot Dooads and trees i suggest to code triggers in other map and terrain your map in the different map apart the Coding map and after your project finished import your custom models ,units , abilities,triggers to your terrain map it would be much more faster and safer
Well when choosing a unit variable in the trigger editor you can hit the "Select a Unit" button (might be named slightly differently in different locales) and click on a unit that has been placed on the map. If you do this too much then it will start to lag the trigger editor. Each unit selected this way creates a variable that never goes away and adds a lot of overhead since the editor is old and coded poorly.

Oh okay, I think I have bunch of those. [Problem Found] But now how can I delete them? I have bunch of variables in the variable editor that I didn't know exist. Deleting one causes lag and worse crashes the Editor. Can I export the terrain?

Well that's the basic. I've done that almost everytime I load up with a new Editor.

Level 5
Well you can delete all the units on the map and place them again. That will remove the generated variables.

As far as I know you can delete a unit in the map if it is visible, well in my case they're not visible on the map. As I've said I don't know the cause of this.

CPU clock rate is very low. I would not be surprised if the problems you are suffering from are the result of hardware constraints.

Well this wasn't a problem before but I'll run a check and see if my hardware is the cause.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
It is possible the new builds are optimized for more powerful processors. For example modern compilers will favour loop unwinding a lot less due to modern processor branch prediction capabilities rather than older compilers which favoured loop unwinding due to the performance penalties associated with branching code.

However it is more likely that something else is the cause. Check anti-virus software is not interfering, make sure there is sufficient free memory available, make sure GPU is not the bottleneck and obviously remember to only run the editor in high power mode when plugged in to a charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.