• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

GUI to jass, impossible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
hi. i'm an experienced world editor, very experienced with GUI. i heared about how much better jass is. i'm trying to learn how to use it but it seems absolutley impossible. i'm sorry, there are about 50 tutorials that say they are for total newbs, and the intro is usally ok. but after 1 subchapter, they start talking like we are experienced jass editors and constantly using big long words. (not to mention when they link in a code it usally is bugged and says nothing). maybe its just me or somthing. is any other newbie jass'ers feeling this? and if any experienced jass dude who has some spare time is reading this could they please contact me?

ty :wink:

Level 6
I used to be in your position. I wanted to be able to make all the leak free and awesome abilities that some other people could make in JASS. Unlike you however, I sucked it up and read those tutorials over and over until I got it. I don't know what you mean by "50 tutorials". On Hive I think there are like 3 and they're all very well written. You have to be committed to learn a computer language. And saying you're very experienced with GUI is saying you know how to click buttons. Everyone learns differently, so I don't know exactly what part is confusing you. Instead of complaining about big long words, maybe you can be more specific so maybe someone can help you.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Maybe this belongs in the World Editor Help Zone.

I share your opinion, I read Vexorian's tutorial and I understand everything, but then it reaches a part where I don't understand things clearly anymore.
wyrmlord's tutorial is ok, but incomplete.

Tip, sometimes you think you don't understand anything, but what you really find confusing is the large amount of functions, don't get tricked by that.

Level 32
JASS is indeed tricky stuff for the uninitiated. Reading the tuts and starting with baby steps is probably the best way to learn (little by little).

is one of our affiliates, they provide a loot of additional ways, means and methods.

~ Thread moved from Site Discussion to WEHZ.

Level 9
... I remembered when i learnt Jass... It started when i wanted to make a experimental system that never got released, even though i read the tuts, i really hated reading them. Then from there on, i just learnt Jass

-Av3n

Level 23
And saying you're very experienced with GUI is saying you know how to click buttons.

I resent that statement. To me, when someone says they're very experienced with GUI, it means they are imaginitive enough to use it's functions to perform the things they want to.
When stuck with limited options, the mind gets trained to create ingenuitive work-arounds. This is in essence, a good thing.

Last edited:
Level 21
Indeed. People say you can't do something like
JASS:
loop
    exitwhen GetUnitState(Unit_var, UNIT_STATE_LIFE) <= 0 // don't know the exact jass :)
endloop
in GUI. Well, it's wrong. I can. That's why I count myself with the more experienced GUI users. You're experienced when you can do stuff beyond the limitations of GUI as it was known. The same can be said about jass. Where people are still stuck at today, perhaps an experienced jasser will find a solution for that tomorrow.

More on-topic: The first tutorials I read were lacking at the same point. Yeah, I understood everything in the basic tutorials, but most of the stuff said there can also be done in GUI. When I came to the point they started talking about more "advanced" stuff (from the GUI viewpoint), I got stuck seeing as how it wasn't explained well...
But now I'm ok at jassing, so I guess that if you try hard enough, you'll finally get to understand stuff...

Level 6
I resent that statement. To me, when someone says they're very experienced with GUI, it means they are imaginitive enough to use it's functions to perform the things they want to.
When stuck with limited options, the mind gets trained to create ingenuitive work-arounds. This is in essence, a good thing.

Hrm. Yes, I realize how what I said could be offensive and I am sorry. What I meant was that GUI begins creating thought processes that could late be used for JASS. This is its essential purpose in regards to JASS and JASS-users. That doesn't, however, negate its solitary purpose as an abbreviated computer language. Nor is it true that JASS is superior to GUI (disregarding the leak factor), as was so well put by Eleandor. I wish you good luck in learning JASS.

Level 7
The reason why the triggers are "bugged" is besacue 100% of the tutorials require Jass craft pro so download this and use their WE it will allow all those "bugged" jass to work. As for your problems with jass I'm still in your phase. But I'm getting better. This is my more favorite tutorial that tought me how to use some jass It helps you tremendously because it breaks every aspect down then challenges you so that you wont just be reading but working too! Good luck!

The main reason I won't learn jass is because of need to learn all of those functions without any documentation. In GUI you have a dropdown menu, which contains all avalaible commands. Not to mention that the trigger is much easier and faster to create in GUI, initialization is just very tedious. GUI is also more readable and easier to debug. So I stick with GUI wherever possible and if it is really impossible, I add custom scripts.

Level 21
Well...

In the NewGen pack you just have a functionlist in front of you that tells you exactly what parameters it uses or returns. It's, IMO, just as useful as the GUI dropdown menu. I mean, NewGen almost IS a graphical user interface, with all the syntax marking, functionlisting, etc.
Now that I'm jassing, I also disagree on the fact that triggering is easier and faster in GUI. It's just different. And yes, some functions in GUI are actually multiple lines in jass, which makes it "harder" to make in jass.
The reason GUI is easier / faster is that it's more "structured" than jass. GUI FORCES you to use certain "models" of programming, since the gui scripts are all you have. Once you start to understand jass, you'll see that it gives you much more freedom and less need for workarounds.

I think my main problem with jasstutorials was that they don't really "teach" you anything. They tell you how to do certain things, how the very basics work in jass, but it never tells you the WHY of things...
Questions like WHY do we need to end a function with (), what the hell ARE parameters, ... remain open and unanswered. When I did what they told me to do in the tutorials, I felt I was just copying stuff without actually knowing what I was doing, because they actually never told anything about WHAT I was doing... If I wish to learn something, I want to know what I'm doing, you know...

This makes me feel like I want to write a tut :p

Level 9
Couple of things that helped me learn JASS.

#1 get JassCraft or JassShop, something that lets you type JASS and has a syntax checker as well as highlighting.

In your GUI triggers click Edit > Convert to Custom Text, then just look at the code. The main chunk of the part you have to look at is Your_Trigger_Actions, and below that is the meat of the trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.