• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

What are the first steps to learning jass from gui?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
FIRST off im not sure if this is where to post but this is the only place i belive was the best place

well im good at gui and i wana learn jass but there is like 10+ jass tourtorials out there. i dunno witch one would be good for some one like me who only knows gui and no programming languages at all (cc+, java, jass..ect).so could some 1 link me to a tourtorial that would help me.

also i know that you convert and start typing but i notice in jass there are alot of lines and setan stuff on each line and its not always started at the very left of the screen so what do i do press space x many times?? and use enter for each line???

also is there any programs that is good to help write the Jass.

and is there much difference between Jass and vJass? what are they? would it be better to jump streat to vjass?

every one goes on about how jass has more options but never says what they are, what are these extra options/features.

also people say its cleaner is it possible to write it in gui then convert and clean it up?

Level 33
Further Info:
If you want to start using JASS and that, your grammar and textual word MUST be sensitive and PERFECT, no spelling error as this can cause a whole fatal error on the system you've been working on, CAREFUL with it

Level 11
I wouldn't say you have to master GUI first, but some basic GUI knowledge is a must if you want to move on to JASS. Keep in mind that there are things that differ between JASS and GUI. For example, 'Triggering Unit' in GUI is 'GetTriggerUnit' in JASS; you get the idea. You can start by reading this and this. A really good tool for editing JASS scripts is JassCraft, I suggest you download it.

Level 11
I never said you don't need JASS, what I meant was, you don't need to learn JASS at all, since WC3 modding will sooner or later die and all the effort put in to learn it will be a waste of time, whereby you can learn a different and much more useful coding language...

Nah, don't waste your time learning a new language, since, eventually, that language will get outdated and you'll have wasted your time learning it.

Level 28
The program I always used when I started out with JASS was JassCraft.
You can change the interface to your own liking (makes it easier to read as well) and there's a helper which doesn't try to help too much (it doesn't auto-complete you).

As spells in JASS are a lot easier and more efficient than in GUI, I checked this tutorial first: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...king-spell-vjass-practice-session-1-a-114519/.
It explains everything very well and there's a step-to-step guide of how you create an actual spell.

Note:
ALWAYS, in all tutorials you check (whether it's photoshop tutorials, JASS tutorials or anything else), try to KNOW the techniques they use.
Don't just copy/paste it, once you know the techniques, you can start pondering about how they could be used in a different way, to create something completely different which uses the same technique.
That's the key of tutorials... you shouldn't do tutorials to learn one specific thing, you should do them to understand the underlying techniques.

Status
Not open for further replies.