• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

need help jassing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
hey ppl, i got a big problem. You see, i want to do something with the editor that is not supported by GUI triggers, and i am a total newb in JASS. this is the effect i need:

actions:
change the name of "my item" to the string: (substring1: "my variable") + (substring2: name of "my item")

plz an experienced JASS programmer, post the code here.
any and all help is appresiated :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 3
its called runes of daerk and you can find it somewhere on maps.worldofwar.net. you need to register. when you have the map, you go to the goblin merchant to the south east and buy the scroll thingy... now that i think of it, it might have been done with GUI there, just switching items when you buy them. because, you see, the scroll changes by name when you buy it. however, i will need to be able to really change the items name, not just switch it with another item...

p.s. the name runes of daerk isnt spelled wrong... its the real name.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
IT IS IMPOSSIABLE!!!
JASS is not C++ or PYTHON.

You can not change item names using triggers and there is nothing more to say.

You can change an item's name by replacing the item with a different item with different name but you can not use any variable input in an items name.

Level 3
IT IS IMPOSSIABLE!!!
JASS is not C++ or PYTHON.

You can not change item names using triggers and there is nothing more to say.

You can change an item's name by replacing the item with a different item with different name but you can not use any variable input in an items name.

ah crap i had a perfect system of magic runes in my head, which i wanted to make reallity in my map, but without changing item names, it's just impossible... ah well i just have to ponder on the subject a little longer and maybe i will find another way to do it... thanks for your help JASSers.

Level 3
and i wuz under the impression that JASS was a programming language with which you could do anything if you had enough time :wink: , although i have no real knowhow about JASS. Can anyone give me a link to a good JASS tutorial? and no, not the one from world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net, because i dont understand a word of what is being sayd there :sad:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It could be possiable using a third party memory changing aplication which takes data from a variable and changes WC3's memory used to store the items name and change it to the requested name but such a system would be hard to make, laggy, problematic to use and hard to make multiplayer compatiable (does not cause Desync)

Status
Not open for further replies.