• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

GUI or JASS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Recently i wanted to start to get into world editor and mapping (guess i'm a bit late to the party, huh?).
There are some things i'd like to know.
First off, all i know so far is some very basic GUI, and there are some paths i can take from here, i can either try to concentrate on GUI, i could try to learn JASS, or finally try a bit of both, the only problem is that GUI seems a bit more simple and "attractive" compared to JASS in my eyes and here is where my questions come in.

Where should i continue from here?

Do i need to use JASS to make a map from start to finish?

Is JASS harder than GUI?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

You can use GUI to your heart's content. No need to tackle JASS to create fully working map.

I would say that JASS is harder.

Level 2
I would say start with GUI and then see how it is, if you would prefer using JASS (which is a lot harder than GUI) then switch to that if you want.

I just started map making a week ago and let me tell you, its hard, even in GUI. I thought it would be fairly easy, since you got those drop down menus and such but once you start making an actual map you will see how difficult it is just to create something so small as making an item that you can fill up with water if you are near such terrain. I cant even imagine how I would be able to learn and use JASS to create maps so I'm sticking to GUI.

At this point I'm just rambling. Point is, see for yourself, try GUI and see how you like it. If you don't want to use that then try JASS as well.

Level 15
Do i need to use JASS to make a map from start to finish?
No. It depends on what map you want to make though. A blizzard-style campaign can be easily done in GUI, I think the campaigns were mostly done in GUI. If you are doing a very complicated map, you might need JASS though. That's why you should start with something more simple.
Is JASS harder than GUI?
It's harder to learn, but it is more powerful.

Start with GUI. If you feel you are good at GUI, you can think about learning JASS, but before that I think you should focus on GUI. If you are good at GUI it will also be easier to learn JASS, so there is nothing you can do wrong about starting with GUI.

JASS gives your more access over details and features which for different reasons do not exist it GUI.
JASS's "moduls" are more common -> much harder.
except you need one of this not existing features, in GUI there often is a wayaround if you accept it to be not 100% accurate.
or already know much about scripting/programming.
GUI does alot of stuff for you and offers an "easy" useable still quite powerful form.
By using imported systems it still keeps "easy" but allows more stuff without developing next candidate for directors cut.​

But overall its more this question: can you puzzle together what you need with the stuff warcraft 3 offers you and you know (which applies for GUI and JASS).

There is more then coding to create a good map.
A Good map is based on:
  • code
  • concept
  • gameplay
  • story
  • environment
  • map design
  • and more
Code = JASS or/and GUI are 1 strong part, but not the only one.

Do you intend to create a working map with as little knowledge and commitment as possible? Use gui, your map might not be very advanced, but it will work and if you've designed it well it'll be fun to play.

Do you intend to create complex game-breaking systems that people's jaws will drop at the sight of? Use Jass.

Do you intend to revolutionarize how something is done in wc3 maps? Use Jass.

Do you intend to learn programming? If so, learn Jass, if not, learn GUI.

As you can see as far as map development go you only really need JASS if you want to do something that's in some way advanced. People experienced will JASS will code everything in it, naturally, but a lot of things can be done in GUI with little to no harm.

Status
Not open for further replies.