• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

GUI and JASS...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Given that you do not count the Custom Script-Action in GUI as GUI.

• Having local variables.
  • Modulating the code through custom functions is troublesome in GUI, as you have to transfer parameters in global variables/event responses and to execute triggers.
  • You do not have access to all native functions (features).
  • GUI is slow in both writing code and executing it ingame. GUI offers non-native functions mostly, thus having heavier basic bricks. It has to be slower ingame also because the code is more roundabout.
  • Jass brings the mapmaker closer to programming languages and promotes understanding of how things work. I see regularly that much simpler questions are done by GUI users and that they have harder times figuring out a new problem/cannot derive too well.

That are some advantages of Jass towards GUI. It does not mean that GUI does not have some own itself but you did not ask for it.

Level 12
If count in custom script in GUI, Jass = GUI already.
GUI is slow in both writing code and executing it in-game? That only happens when your computer is really rusty, no offence.
Jass brings mapmaker closer to programming language and promotes understanding of how things work? I disagree, some programming language is obviously different from Jass, they use ";" input and output, sockets, etc... these things you will never learn in jass or GUI.
My conclusion is that GUI is as good as Jass is, but only if all programming language could be combined together....[quite off-topic eh?]

Level 20
Once you get used to JASS,you don't need to take look at the functions,you'll know most of them,atleast those frequently used. Also with JNGP,it's way easier as it shows possible functions when you start typing.

Concerning what JASS can do and GUI cannot...
JASS can use regions,while GUI can't thus for event Unit enters region in GUI,you can't retrieve the rect it entered,only region which is useless in GUI.
Also some things can be really simplified using JASS. If you're using same functions in many triggers (example would be floating texts that requires several functions),you can just make a JASS function in map header with needed parameters and make your life easier.

Level 26
If count in custom script in GUI, Jass = GUI already.

Not really. You can only place custom scripts inside action functions. You cannot declare new functions there nor global variables. And GUI does not give you access to all variable types, region as mentioned for example.

GUI is slow in both writing code and executing it in-game? That only happens when your computer is really rusty, no offence.

GUI users also tend to have less demands. Since they do not outsource in functions and executing triggers is inconvinent (hardly used), they stuff everything in the event trigger and this can become of some size. I am clearly above the specified requirements but that does not change the fact (it's not like I'm the first to mention this) that the calculating time becomes noticable when having some hundred actions. Even the "best" pc may struggle when the programming technique is just ineffective/limited or not adjusted. Yet, I did not mean the pc performance only. GUI makes you to click through a lot of windows that can even build up on one another. So if you are to change the lowest level, the upper ones will need to be remade. You cannot simply transfer functions to use in another action/condition/event. To do so, you would need to create a Set Variable line for each window right in the beginning, resulting in many more lines and awkward variable use. Plain Jass text is better copyable and editable. Someone can post his/her code in the forum here and we are able to take it over easily to test it out for example. I have not seen a tool yet that scans GUI code and puts it into cache/WE.

For ingame-ineffectiveness: If pcs can easily handle it, why are people here so obsessed with fixing leaks? That's something GUI users usually did not even come across without others making hints. I agree that most GUI actions/functions do not contain too many native calls/the additional wrapper is not that pricy but there are just too many indirect approaches (that also originate from bad writing).

Jass brings mapmaker closer to programming language and promotes understanding of how things work? I disagree, some programming language is obviously different from Jass, they use ";" input and output, sockets, etc... these things you will never learn in jass or GUI.

So Jass still teaches some basic concepts that resurface in many programming languages. And its expanded in vJass and the like. Of course, there can be languages of different kinds.

I have not met a single Jass-user yet that liked GUI better but most have started in GUI, so they should have the image.

Once you get used to JASS,you don't need to take look at the functions,you'll know most of them,atleast those frequently used. Also with JNGP,it's way easier as it shows possible functions when you start typing.

There's also the function list (or just open the common.j) and that's not much different from getting the clue in GUI, except you may use the name search.

Level 15
- You can put things into libraries and declare variable/functions private
- You can have local variables
- It's faster to write (once you get used to it)
- The way GUI converts into jass contains alot of useless function-chain calls and double negative conditions
- You can't write custom object-oriented code in GUI
- You can only save things to a unit via hashtables (the slower option) in GUI
- There are certain natives available in Jass that are not available in GUI (i.e. setting the z of lightning objects)
- GUI sometimes converts into poorly written BJ functions that either do things inefficiently or run through 'idiot checks' and the like.
- You can easily transfer Jass code from one map to another (Just CnP) but you can't do this as easily with GUI

The most popular reason for using Jass is that people say it's more efficient and can execute more smoothly in-game. While you may not notice the difference with small functions and quick scripts if you have a fast processer, you will most certainly notice the lag no matter what system you have if you try and do something like Bribe's Projectile system in GUI (if you could write that in GUI, that is).

On a side note, if people are comfortable with GUI let them use GUI, if they are comfortable with Jass let them use Jass. I don't see why it has to be an argument all the time (not that this thread was created for that reason). Hell, there are even people who are saying that people who use VJass are taking the "easy way out" and that regular jass is the "better" route. Everyone has their own way of getting what they want in their mods done, and I don't see why it matters to them what other people do/use.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

*Not going to type big paragraphs or anything*

I only use GUI when making my maps. Since I began using the Wc3 editor GUI has allowed me to do everything that I've ever wanted to do in Wc3. Personally I don't see any good features of jass but I do see the (IMO) stupid way that you write jass which as far as i know is text.
If you seriously look at it GUI is just way easier to use (IMO), I've done everything from creating a simple quest to creating a custom resource system in my evolution maps.

Why use Jass when you an easily do the same thing in GUI?

Level 11
Also maths in GUI is a pain because of

If you're to make an equation in GUI,you're
screwed
if you need to edit it.

^ i completely agree, in gui you would have to go through a bunch of "arithmetic" functions if you wanna use a semi-complicated formula. And if you forget one thing you have to redo a lot of it just to fix it.

Plus locals are way easier to work with, would you rather do this:
local location a = udg_location[GetTriggeringPlayer()]
and just hit "a" on your keyboard when you want to refer to that location
or, have to go thru a bunch of dropdown menus to get the correct index for the location array?
I think that using "a" is about 10 times faster and easier, plus it is much easier to edit
Thats just one little example of how jass is much faster than GUI

Also jass is more efficient, and if you have newgen, making efficient triggers is quite easy
You dont even have to use locations, you can just pull the formula from the function list and set x and y values instead which is much easier and you dont even have to worry about leaks!

As far as jass not helping you learn other programming languages, it does help. Learning the language and the format of it is the easy part. Actually applying the language to make something that works is the hard part.

Level 22
What JASS can do that GUI cannot? (make it brief and simple)

jass is the backbone of GUI, GUI is the front-end of jass, without jass, GUI's existence would be void, without GUI, jass will still be functional, and kick ass. Therefore, GUI is jass' GUI.

Simple eh?

btw mckill2009 *pinoy ka rin pala*(so you're a filipino too)

Like one expert say..."make it in vJASS and I'll make it in GUI"
Why use Jass when you an easily do the same thing in GUI?

Try declaring a local variable in GUI without using the Custom Script module, why not allow that module? Because it's assisted by writing jass scripts, hence it would nullify the task of proving the point.

Try learning jass and you'll understand what GUI can't do that jass can't, If you're not willing to learn jass then you won't be able to truly understand.

Just to be fair, I'm going to mention one scenario wherein jass' GUI cannot help you; A 3d projectile system that requires a physics system. First you need a physics system, which isn't click-code-able in GUI; Then a 3d projectile system, but that's doable in jass' GUI, just prepare a bowl of warm water or cold (whichever you prefer) so you could soak your sore left or right click finger when it hurts. If ever one manages to accomplish this, I bet no one would fucking look on the variable editor because of the text wall lurking in there. But who would make a fucking physics system on warcraft 3's engine? There's a lot of them just look in the maps section (bob666's flight simulator), you could also look for grim on wc3c, or MadLion's MADOS, he even has a youtube video, there's also the Simple Entity Engine written by HINDYhat. There, a lot of reference just for you. Hope you like em.

The most popular reason for using Jass is that people say it's more efficient and can execute more smoothly in-game.
jass is the reason GUI executes it's code. There, fixed.

One supports one another, without the other it cannot function well...
jass supports GUI, it does so by executing the code GUI generates. GUI, however, cannot support jass, it only interfaces with the user, which would be useless if ever the user just used jass.

Hell, there are even people who are saying that people who use VJass are taking the "easy way out" and that regular jass is the "better" route. Everyone has their own way of getting what they want in their mods done, and I don't see why it matters to them what other people do/use.
Technically, vjass is an enhancement for jass, so it's as pointless as the topic discussed here. I also, agree with your latter statement, just use what you want.

Ok, enough of the quoting, let's move on to scripting:

GUI condition:
  • GUI condition
    • Events
    • Conditions
      • ((Triggering unit) is A structure) Equal to (==) True
    • Actions
Converts to this:
JASS:
function Trig_GUI_condition_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    if ( not ( IsUnitType(GetTriggerUnit(), UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE) == true ) ) then
        return false
    endif
    return true
endfunction

function Trig_GUI_condition_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_GUI_condition takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_GUI_condition = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_GUI_condition, Condition( function Trig_GUI_condition_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_GUI_condition, function Trig_GUI_condition_Actions )
endfunction

In pure jass, it would be like this, though there could also be other ways of doing it:
JASS:
function jass_condition takes nothing returns boolean
    return IsUnitType(GetTriggerUnit(),UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE)
endfunction

function jass_action takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_jass_condition takes nothing returns nothing
    local trigger t=CreateTrigger()
    set gg_trg_GUI_condition=t
    call TriggerAddCondition(   t, Condition( function jass_condition) )
    call TriggerAddAction(      t, function jass_action )
endfunction

By writing jass directly, one could simplify a simple but complexified GUI generated jass script.

I'm not saying jass has no flaws; my point is that GUI and jass cannot be compared as if they are of the same type, GUI and jass are two different things. The jass' GUI was implemented because not all modders have programming knowledge, so as to not restrict them to just using the object editor. But it is also true when we say that jass will be a better tool in map development since it offers more functionality that what GUI can offer.

There lol, hope no one takes offence.

Level 29
Yes Im pinoy and Im learning JASS that's why I opened this topic...

Like I said earlier "Custom Script is a part of GUI system", so why it shoudnt
be included even if it used to write JASS codes even though it will void the
point...

Many people say that JASS is easier and I believe them, but for me as a
beginner who doesnt even know what the hell is this...

JASS:
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_GUI_condition, Condition( function Trig_GUI_condition_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_GUI_condition, function Trig_GUI_condition_Actions )
endfunction

...GUI is much much easier and a powerful tool for a beginner...

Level 11
Just learn jass slowly, dont try to do stuff that is too complicated at first, you will get the hang of it eventually.
And once you get used to it, im sure that you will be very glad that you decided to learn jass because there is so much more stuff that you can do.
But you really do have to take your time with learning it, its not like you can learn how to do everything that jass can do in a day, you just have to break it up and try to understand one thing at a time

Level 22
...GUI is much much easier and a powerful tool for a beginner...
That's the reason why GUI was added to the World Editor.

Learning jass requires a lot of time and patience, but it's worthwhile. When I was just beginning editing maps I also used GUI, at first I thought jass was harder to use since you need to learn how to use it first, while GUI triggers were easily understandable and it seems that it does what I need for the time being. Upon stumbling into dash spells and slide systems, I found out that jass played an important role into development of such systems. I was compelled to learn this jass thing.

Well to make my story short, I learned a lot of things from jass scripting, which aren't just relevant to warcraft; trigonometry, geometry and other math stuff. jass is passively educational LOL.

Level 11
the only thing I dont like is memorizing codes :)...

Well, luckily NewGen has a function list so you dont have to memorize anything really :D
and a lot of it is just setting variables and whatnot, depending on what you want to do.
But in some situations GUI is easier because you dont have to memorize as much, especially if your already familiar with using GUI
Just jass allows you to do a lot more stuff much more efficiently, so it is worth learning

Many people say that JASS is easier and I believe them, but for me as a
beginner who doesnt even know what the hell is this...

JASS:
endfunction

It's expected to not understand what that is, because it's direct GUI converted to JASS and that always looks disturbing and ugly.

To be honest, that whole thing could be simplified as:

JASS:
function IsUnitStructure takes unit whichUnit returns boolean
    return IsUnitType(whichUnit, UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE)
endfunction

The reasoning behind it is that, when starting JASS, for now forget about triggers, events, conditions, actions. Those represent coding dynamics which are too much for just getting started.

Triggers -> They are useful but they are not necessary!
Events -> When you get good enough, you could create your own events!
Conditions -> Believe it or not, you can put your actions inside of conditions!
Actions -> Almost completely useless!

Level 19
I am coding with the GUI for a very long time now and it is very fast if you know the right hotkeys
for example if you want to choose "Storm Crow Form" from the ability list you don't have to scroll around
you can just press "T" and arrow up
with tab and space you can click and edit everywhere so you don't have to use your mouse at all

I also have some jass experience and the only thing GUI+custom script is lacking in my opinion is a way to define custom filters
fortunately null filters work fine in many cases and are sometimes faster but as soon as you need a bigger aoe you are screwed

the reason why I still use GUI in many cases is that I can use ctrl+z on gui actions but not on jass script
I once wrote a few pages of that and accidentialy selected it and pressed a key
everything was gone....
with JNGP I would not have had that problem but I can't use it since it is not portable because every time I connect my thumb drive to another pc the virus scanner goes crazy

@chobibo
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...845/?prev=search=projectile%203d&d=list&r=207
3d projectile syste with acrs and stuff
people usually move to jass before reaching that skill level
so there are not many extremely good GUI systems

Level 26
I am coding with the GUI for a very long time now and it is very fast if you know the right hotkeys
for example if you want to choose "Storm Crow Form" from the ability list you don't have to scroll around
you can just press "T" and arrow up

Only that this very list needs decades to initialize when you have some hundred abilities.

the reason why I still use GUI in many cases is that I can use ctrl+z on gui actions but not on jass script

In the WE that is.

Level 22
@Gandalf
It was clear when I said a 3d Projectile system can be done in GUI, it's just painstakingly tedious. To quote myself: (I mention GUI here as jass' GUI since it really is)
Just to be fair, I'm going to mention one scenario wherein jass' GUI cannot help you; A 3d projectile system that requires a physics system. First you need a physics system, which isn't click-code-able in GUI; Then a 3d projectile system, but that's doable in jass' GUI, just prepare a bowl of warm water or cold (whichever you prefer) so you could soak your sore left or right click finger when it hurts.
My point was; jass is easier to use for advanced applications, such as that resource you posted. Also, the GUI is a user-friendly interface for non-programmers, as stated in my latest post. Again, to quote myself:

I'm not saying jass has no flaws; my point is that GUI and jass cannot be compared as if they are of the same type, GUI and jass are two different things. The jass' GUI was implemented because not all modders have programming knowledge, so as to not restrict them to just using the object editor. But it is also true when we say that jass will be a better tool in map development since it offers more functionality that what GUI can offer.
I hope this clarified things up.

off-topic: Your parabola tut is great :D

ive been using GUI for all the thew years ive been world editing in warcrat3 and have had all the power i need for my mapmaking in GUI over than GetLocalPlayer == whatever. A thing that I would like to complain about Events are that they dont use variables and only use things that are already preset in the worldeditor and also the lack of choice in Events(very anoying).but anyhow I thinks its about time for me to actualy learn more on about jass. If you've been world editing for aproxematly 1 year I recomend moving on to jass as even though I havnt learnt it enough to do even something simple(because of the new school year). Anyway I am only 14 and will like a life time of experience in proggraming and like to challange people that are older than me:D. as I have read Jass can be healpfull in making the flow of the map ingame have less lag and also will decrease the size of the map slightly. just as said doing this helps nowladge in maths and other things and I must say that I am the smartest in my class with maths:D.
just as I said from past experience I can use more power in WE and suggest that you also move onto Jass:p

Level 22
I didn't read it all so perfectly well but Trackables is a pain to handle in GUI Custom Script.

I know complex GUI triggering, but its time for me to learn JASS...
So that I can have more power! XD...
When you reach the level of D4RK_G4ND4LF, then say that again.

As I'm not even in his level of coding :p

@chobibo
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...845/?prev=search=projectile%203d&d=list&r=207
3d projectile syste with acrs and stuff
people usually move to jass before reaching that skill level
so there are not many extremely good GUI systems
Still you know that Kingz proj system isn't perfect either since they didn't discover the "CreateGroup()" native so the damage function is all fucked up dealing damage every 0.03 second (yes I've used that system once).

Last time I checked, people went vJASSing or ZINCing before even JASSing :p

And btw, you seriously need to switch your AV.

Level 19
You get power if you take advantage of the functions GUI doesn't have
...which you can access with custom script
but that probably makes a difference for your

and I don't know of any natives which can't be emulated or worked around somehow else (like IsUnitAlive or however it was called)

Trackables is a pain to handle in GUI Custom Script.

not thaaaat much of a problem

When you reach the level of D4RK_G4ND4LF, then say that again.

As I'm not even in his level of coding :p

thanks x)
I'm beyond jass now
not enough power and speed
c is way better
there are so many things to learn so it is like starting at 0
after months of playing around with c I am still unable to do many basic things
on the one hand for example I fail to use most third-party libraries
on the other hand I wrote a program to track colored things my webcam can see and move my mouse according to it but it took weeks of finding out how it works with other compilers than microsoft's

Still you know that Kingz proj system isn't perfect either since they didn't discover the "CreateGroup()" native so the damage function is all fucked up dealing damage every 0.03 second (yes I've used that system once).

yeah it's not perfect but the best in GUI in the spell section I think

And btw, you seriously need to switch your AV.

if it was my pc I would do it
unfortunately it is not
so I learned c but every time I try to inject code into the AV to shut it down it kills my process first :S
maybe I will be able to do it someday
but during that I found out of the tremendous power of real programming languages so I don't see any need to use scripting languages like jass
of course it is pretty cool to be able to use a bunch of models and prebuilt stuff but it is not worth the limitations

I disagree, "beyond JASS" is not a valid statement. Just because I've learned some other, much more powerful, programming languages than JASS does not mean that I am "beyond" JASS. JASS is a mandatory language for developing WarCraft III, and since my passion is WarCraft III, JASS cannot be exceeded.

People can argue programming languages all day, but in the end it comes to personal values. I value doing more with less. My personal opinion is: if it needs an i7 processor, the source code is bad.

Level 22
You're not the only one playing with C. Ruby is fine too. Python is a bit messier and takes reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallly loong time for me to understand it due to its "High Level Programming".

I do agree with Bribe, JASS is a passion for us WC3 modders. Yet our passion for OT related is beyond imagination.

Level 22
Programming language levels pertain to the abstraction of the operations of the computer. You got it wrong dude, high level programming language, in comparison to a low-level language, is easier to learn, and has more features. It's not harder to learn because it's High-level, it's hard because it requires a lot of knowledge of different branches of science, mathematics for example.

LINKS:
High-level Programming Language

Low-level Programming Language

EDIT: I failed to notice the joke there lol, sorry for being too serious.

Raven0 said:
You can put things into libraries and declare variable/functions private

ahmm, that's a vJASS add-on...

C, C++ is cool
Ruby, well its cool though I haven't really understood that much with Ruby
Phyton, its a hell to understand...

but, I dont really program in real life, I dont even have any programming related subject... (Though I know something in C++, what? I know how to make quizes in the command prompt!!!)

I just learned JASS/vJASS/zinc because I love modding... ^_^

Level 33
Given that Custom script action is JASS because 1 syntax (the wrong use of words, alignment, arrangement, wording) can easily terminate the process, thus making the trigger does not work (and the map can't be saved normally (the "broken" trigger is disabled first before saving)).
Now, that is JASS.

Because in GUI, you can never have a disabled trigger (other than the deletion of Variables and such)

Now, let's compare the usefulness

Everything in GUI can be made into JASS, but not everything in JASS can be made into GUI

For example, this trigger (we take the most simplest example of all, adding ability):
  • Custom script: call UnitAddAbility(Caster, 'Aloc')
Trigger above shows that the Caster (local variable) gets a Locust ability through the use of Custom script (JASS)

But in GUI, you can't access this feature such as adding Locust, removing 'Amov', removing 'Aatk' and so on

Also, to those who said "What can you do in JASS, I can make it into GUI", try make a system that is advance enough without using Custom script (Custom script = JASS, a scripting syntax, GUI is clicking + icon method). I bet you can't even start a 10% upon completing the system

Again, I will compare about features
You can use Unit - Move Unit (Instantly) action but that action will interrupt the current order of that unit, thus making the trigger a bit, flawed

In Custom script (JASS), you can use SetUnitX/Y which will never stops the current order of that unit, thus we can make a fun and simple system by using this function

I'd say that JASS is pretty much more useful than GUI, only in terms of "friendly-user interface", GUI will win for sure.

It is up to you to choose which method (either clicking or typing) but each has its own pros and cons

JASS is pros on the system/trigger itself and has much more speed but for a new-learner, it's a bit hard to catch up with the interface and very, very less-user-friendly program

GUI is pros on making our work easier and doesn't have to remember each function and syntax, it will do it for you but its access is pretty much limited. This method is very much useful for the usage in real world (where we build machines that is easy to operate by user in this world (user-friendly)) meanwhile in JASS is much more useful towards programming the machine itself.

If we are to create a machine/tool, we will use JASS (C++, Java, etc) to create it and will present it in a form of GUI (Graphical-user Interface).

Look at Blizzard, they created the Warcraft III World Editor in GUI, to make people's work easier to understand and manipulate the data in it. But they did not create this tool by using GUI of course, they created it by using scripting syntaxing.

Next, let's take a look at an Antivirus System on your PC.
Once you have entered its interface, everything is easy just click click click and read here and there (straight-forward explanation words such as Scan, Delete, Quarantine, etc) (this is GUI, the method of clicking icons and easy readability)
But I'm sure they created it by using Scripting Syntaxing which is totally not GUI at all.

I'm not gonna flame or anything here, but let's take D4RK_G4ND4LF's system here for example, the Trackables
As you can see in that thread, the usage of Custom script is at large, if we replace (if we can), the Custom script with the normal use of GUI action, that system won't be created as efficient as it is now (Custom script~)

So, your fate is here, choose between blue pill or red pill.

(This article is based on the restrictions of using Custom script in GUI)

Level 22
LOL isn't it GUI to use custom script in GUI? Else it wouldn't have existed wouldn't it? Seems quite fair to me if Blizzard wanted this line between GUI and JASS they should have removed the "custom script" option.

And yeah pretty much is possible in GUI. It's just a pain in the ass to use (and you cannot use alot of features even with custom script such as using only a timer and adding actions to the timer itself, in GUI you have to have a trigger that has a periodic event registrated or simple group recycling).

Status
Not open for further replies.