• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gothic, Van Helsing RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I have a RPG idea for anyone to have. I have had a look down the RPG list in the map section and I see a patern of medival RPGs with warrior, mage and ranger. I have an idea to change that.

The game is gothic and dark. You do not pick a class to start off with, but more on that later. You start in a little sleepy village full of strange character that, every night, is attacked by creatures of the dark, including werewolves and brides of dracula. During the day you can prepare the town for attack by lighting torches (light harms certain creatures), setting up barricades and repairing the town guards armour and seige weapons.

In your starting form you have a blade and a crossbow. You need ammo for the crossbow, but it lets you attack from afar.

To defeat the creatures of the night more easily, you can enhance your weapon with the power of one of the many beast slaying techniques. For instance:
Holy - deals more damage to vampires. Also grants bash against them.
Silver - deals more damage to werewolves and gives them a chance to miss.
Powder - reveals ghosts, making them possible to hit in the dark.
Fire - deals more damage to zombies and sets them on fire.

During the day you can also go out and hunt the evil creatures. This will let you level up. You don't get abilities before you unlock your class. To get a class, you need to defeat a certain amount of enemies of a certain type. You can then go to the village priest to be blessed in a certain art.
- For instance, if you kill 100 members of the vampire class, including vampires, vampyres, brides of dracula or vampire bosses (more on that later), you can become a vampire slayer. Vampire slayers deal more damage to vampires, obviously, and have certain abilities to help players fight them, such a shield that stops vampires from drinking their blood and a stake that kills vampires under however many HP.
- Or you could decide that vampires can be defeated easily, but it the hard-to-hit ghosts that are difficult to fight. Then you could invest in 100 urns of powder to destroy 100 malicious spirits to become an exorcist. As one of them, you can always see ghosts. You also get skills such as an ethereal spell that lets allies attack and see ghosts.
- Maybe you are afraid of werewolves and their quick and strong attacks, especially at night when the moon is highest. Then you can become a bestial hunter. Now you can cancell out moonlight and pierce through the thick hide armour that wolves have.
- You might be fine one-on-one, but what happens when you are swarmed by zombies? Become a paladin knight to gain powerful fire based AOE attacks.

During the night the creatures of the dark attack the village. This is a dangerous time if you don't help the guards. If a shopkeeper is killed they are dead for at least a week while the priest tries to commune with their spirit.

If you want a challenge, you can take on the many quests the villagers set you, including killing monsters, gathering supplies, helping research new defences etc, leading up to two bosses of each monster class, one in the middle of the chain, one at the end. Here are my suggestions:
Vampire: Lesser - Vampire Mistress, Greater - Dracula
Werewolf: Lesser - Leader of the Pack, Greater - Wolfman
Ghost: Lesser - the invisible man, Greater - Hollow Man
Zombie: Lesser - Failed Experiment, Greater - Frankenstien

Who knows? Lucky players might find secret dungeons with special rewards, such as Dr Frankenstiens Laboratory, Castle Dracula, The Lost Grotto, The Haunted Graveyard and the well hidden, dangerous but rewarding Van Helsing Manor, home to Gabriel Van Helsing himself. It is said that whoever finds Gabriel and returns him to the village priest will be granted a powerful ally, some odd yet strong weapons and a twist that reveals Van Helsings past as the (MOVIE SPOILER) left hand of God.

This idea, I think, can be expanded and improved and ANYONE who wants it can have it. Comment if you want!

Level 5
Gothic is my type of maps. But you said rpg and as far as i read i only read about heroes fighting waves of monsters. So... wheres the rpg? And for the heroes, lets say you become an exorcist, and thats all? ^^ How about creating a branch split for every hero? Having a choise once you are a full trained (insert tier 1 hero here).

I would be happy to help but my trigger skills arent perfect, but ill do what i can. (Besides, more heads = more better ideas = higher rep :D )

Level 3
This is a great idea though I am not sure about the class system. I know you might not be the one making this map but while it is a good concept imagine how boring it would killing 100 of one kind of monster to gain a set of abilities. I recommend maybe you have a tier structure so kill 20 of something to get this certain ability, etc.

Also to you and everyone else who might be making it would you have all classes available or would you be restricted to the one class. Wouldn't it be annoying being surrounded by an army of werewolves but only having exorcist abilities.

+ rep for this idea :thumbs_up:

Lol, didn't see last post, I'm just expanding on what he said

Last edited:
Level 8
I see some of you guy's point. How about this:

Every 20 or so kills of a perticular enemy class, you can unlock/level an ability suited to that enemy class (eg, kill 20 vamps, get 'tainted blood' which gives poison debuff to vampires that try to drink your blood). You aren't restricted to that enemy class, however. You have 6 ability slots, so you could have tainted blood (vamp) AND Piercing strikes (wolf). Obviously having 1 of each might not be the best idea and could paint yourself into a corner if you end up without the skills required to take on bosses, but if you want to be a jack of all trades, have 1 of each, nothing to stop you.

What about that? Better system?

Level 9
this, HAVE to be created !!!!
it will looks EPIC with B2M doodads pack !!!!

i will, help you in any way ....

I see some of you guy's point. How about this:

Every 20 or so kills of a perticular enemy class, you can unlock/level an ability suited to that enemy class (eg, kill 20 vamps, get 'tainted blood' which gives poison debuff to vampires that try to drink your blood). You aren't restricted to that enemy class, however. You have 6 ability slots, so you could have tainted blood (vamp) AND Piercing strikes (wolf). Obviously having 1 of each might not be the best idea and could paint yourself into a corner if you end up without the skills required to take on bosses, but if you want to be a jack of all trades, have 1 of each, nothing to stop you.

What about that? Better system?

instead of 6 abilities, use spellbooks, each of them contains 11 spells, so 11 * 4 = 44 spells ??!!!

Last edited:
Level 28
The idea is really good, but if I could make a suggestion, Dracula and Frankenstein's monster should be bosses and not stronger members of that particular class, as it's hard to imagine there being several Draculas.

Also should be included something like a karma system, where performing evil actions gets you negative points, but makes the game a little easier. For example, using a villager as bait, attacking the distracted monster when it's already killed her and is feasting on her corpse, kill an entire village so their corpses can't be used against you (by giving the enemy extra health/mana/minions...), killing innocents with area-effect spells, etc.
The idea being that if you do too many evil deeds, you end up either evil yourself (and lose the game), or an extremely strong creature that hunts evil, but is attacked by its former allies as well.

Level 28
Another idea I had, building on the "corrupted by monsters" one.

Basically every time a monster from one of the four classes makes some kind of special attack (bite, for example), you gradually gain characteristics of that monster, eventually giving you an ability associated with them (and slowly turning you into one). For example, getting bitten by werewolves will increase your damage while decreasing your armor, more and more so until you gain the Berserk ability, while a ghost will lower your attack damage but increase your mana, until you finally become ethereal.

And these should balance each other, so there's no real advantage to getting transformed by all four monster types. (Though hybrid classes could be interesting, if suitable models can be found...)

Status
Not open for further replies.