• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good singleplayer RPGs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Lol why wait for WC3WoW? Thats going to be a long time... if you like WTFSA, have you heard about its sequel? Its called This Wreckage, there was a headline about it at WC3 and its at our clan webpage. If you already know about that... well thats all I have.

Level 34
Try The Companions. Or something like that. It has 5 or so chapters an was fun. The Mystery of Friza is a well made game, could use a few touch ups, but it's worth playing.

Level 27
I think a nice terrain is just inviting you to play. if it sucks you get an opinion like 'Wow how ugly that must be bad' and you dont play it. With the phoenix thing i only watched the begin cinematic and then walked around a bit and then was so terrified by the terrain i immediately stopped playing it lol xD

Level 34
A RPG needs great terrain IMO.
An AoS does not have to pay attention to terrain.For example look at DotA.Bad terrain still great map,the terrain serves well though if you can see the position the trees are put is great.

Whoa. DotA has good terrain! Have you ever looked at it? It beats most AoS terrains.

Level 27
Most of great maps have bad terrain. Its just mapmaker's decision if he is going to focus on terrain, what is importaint is conceptual design of terrain, which is a thing many people forget and do just randomly. WTFsa is an example of great conceptual design, every 32X32 square of terrain is used, even fewer times.

3 types of terrain...

1. Chaos: Chaotic noob terrain with everything not fitting in the theme (Or just bad terrain)
2. War3: Warcraft 3 styled terrain. It doesnt look that well in 3d but from above it is good.
3. Import: Totaly imported and made like if it was somekind of low budget game. (With that i mean that its good/very good terrain for war3)

Terrain does not make a good map in my opinion. Terrain is just an extra. It can't make an RPG fun, just make it look better. So you don't need good terrain to make a good RPG.

Well.. I think it does.. really ugly terrain just totaly takes away the gameplay for me and drains all my will to play the map.
Oh yeah its called 'Eyecandy'

Level 8
Try Birth of Shadows. You can download it in the campaigns section of this site.
It plays a lot like Rexxar's RPG. It also contains voice acting and music from Chrono Trigger. You should definitely play it.

Status
Not open for further replies.