• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Korean WC3 RPGs : A curiosity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I've encountered this one korean wc3 RPG named "The World RPG" thinking of course that it could be a map based on the ".hack" the world. And although it was not as expected, I was pleasantly surprised to how popular it is, as far as RPGs go.

I'm really curious about the - history (for a lack of a better term) about these kinds of RPGs from Korea - as I have found there are similar rpgs that have the same formula:

- A Hub Starting Town
- Level Locked Regions where to level
- Region Bosses, Field Bosses, Summonable Bosses

Where did it originate from? Why is it so popular? Does anyone have any information about this slice of warcraft 3 community?

I'd really like to have some people enlighten me :)

Level 14
You forgot the main aspect: the grind!
Usually Korean RPGs and MMO are quite grindy. It's safe to say that Korean creators got inspired by what their peers were playing and creating outside of Warcraft 3. Hence, the maps are a reflection of their gaming culture.
I would say a lot of them are popular because they use very apparent progress systems, skinner box design, heavy visual effects and feedbacks and somewhat interesting boss fights.

Level 10
You forgot the main aspect: the grind!
Usually Korean RPGs and MMO are quite grindy. It's safe to say that Korean creators got inspired by what their peers were playing and creating outside of Warcraft 3. Hence, the maps are a reflection of their gaming culture.
I would say a lot of them are popular because they use very apparent progress systems, skinner box design, heavy visual effects and feedbacks and somewhat interesting boss fights.

Yes the grind! Haha Goodness the grind.

That's an interesting idea: Maps are a reflection of a community's gaming culture. It begs the question what cultures are prevalent in other groups.

And I have to be honest, the flashy visuals do attract me XD

Status
Not open for further replies.