• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Good Animes to Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Looking for some good animes to watch and wondering if anyone could recommend one to me. I'm open to any genre, but fantasy, supernatural like animes are the most interesting. Only animes I've really enjoyed and respected are Avatar The Last Airbender, Attack on Titan and Deathnote (not that I've watched many yet).

I don't want to start a fight with anyone, but I've tried popular animes such as Bleach, One Piece and Fairy Tail and a few others and they're horrible. They have potential, but the storyline is dragged out, lots of fillers, too many side stories derail the overall storyline, fight scenes are slow and unoriginal and the bad guys are constantly talking and explaining their every move, lots of lame quotes and the writers put a stupid joke in every second scene (silly humour is great, but they all overdo it and I can't take any of it seriously!).

Hope you sort of know what I'm looking for judging from the description. Any recommendations anyone?

Level 12
No game no Life; in another world everything is decided by playing games, most creative series imo and it's ongoing.
(can be a bit annoying with sibling stuffs and little of ecchi crap but they got to get some money from all the people that like that shit so w/e)

Log horizon, an MMO gets a new expansion which warps the players into the game as their game characters and it works like a sandbox type so they can create and make anything they can come up with depending on their jobs and stuff.

Steins Gate; it's a complex series about time travel and time lines, the main character goes from the "go happy" kind of guy to desperate as he tries to save a friend over and over (kinda bit of a spoiler but there are more twists), it's more complex than inception imo.

Edit: Also I forgot one of my favourites: Chrome Shelled Regios, a futuristic sci fi where humanity is in constant threat to big monsters, refered to as "polluted beasts" that roam the ruined planet.

Last edited:
Level 23
If you like some mindfuck. I'd recommend Steins;Gate. :)

And I'd recommend more but I'm afraid I'll hit the post character limit.

I don't want to start a fight with anyone, but I've tried popular animes such as Bleach, One Piece and Fairy Tail and a few others and they're horrible. They have potential, but the storyline is dragged out, lots of fillers, too many side stories derail the overall storyline, fight scenes are slow and unoriginal and the bad guys are constantly talking and explaining their every move, lots of lame quotes and the writers put a stupid joke in every second scene (silly humour is great, but they all overdo it and I can't take any of it seriously!).

Couldn't agree more.

Level 9
Singeki no Kyojin (Attack on Titan) and the former lovely Neon Genesis Evangelion.
They are serious ones.

I'll recommend Ghost in the Shell.
One of the very best animes I have watched, and I don't watch too many because to me animes often gets too out of hand with energy balls and tacky one liners. Although I love DBZ because it's all that ALL the way.

Ghost in the Shell is a bit more down to earth and has a more "realistic" setting even though it is a futuristic show.

Level 30
Its been a while since someone ask some good anime to us bros :grin:

I'll just recall some of the anime I've watched so far while I'll give little info each:

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: based from a visual novel, this horror genre is a really great series except for season 4 which most wouldn't bother, but I kinda like it too much.

LOVE-RU: Ecchi/Comedy, its a good for laugh but has alot of fanservice after Season 1.

Fate: Stay Night/Zero: another based visual novel game, its a fighting anime, season 1 is awesome but they made season 2 a pure drama bomb. Also the guys who made the anime made some spinoffs like Carnival Phantasm (mixing all of their anime productions and made it into a comedy series) & Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA☆ILLYA (mahou shoujo series).

Clannad: and its second season Clannad After Story, if you plan to take on some drama anime, its gonna make you cry not until season 2.

Corpse Party: based from a game, its a horror genre that has 4 episodes short but damn its awesome.

Black Lagoon: awesome fighting anime, it has a couple of episodes and its worth the watch.

Oreimo: Or the other title My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute, I couldn't understand why I watched this series while I was on college, its funny from early episodes until it gets some negativity after the end.

Sword Art Online: Animation is top shot although the plot is too brutal, its a RPG like genre that I can say it redeemed my bad experience watching .Hack and Ragnarok when I was a kid.

Kill la Kill: a funny action series worth a watch, to me its like a mahou shoujo, some people think its like Gurren Lagann for some reasons (plus that awesome theme songs).

Madoka Magica: its a deconstruction of the magical girl(mahou shoujo) series, like mixing cute stuff with crazy bad shit.

Black Rock Shooter: based from a vocaloid music haha, just 12 episodes and the animation is too much awesome.

Sakura Trick: best yuri series so far, makes me squeal like a manchild.

That's just for now, there's been so many awesome animes out there which I couldn't type it all here and recall most of them. And about those popular shonen series that makes you want to finish it till you get fucking old I'd rather tune in with Fairy Tail, they just have a few episodes going on along the manga unlike the others.

[EDIT] This guy recommends some good anime to watch, it still depends on some people: http://www.youtube.com/user/GRArkada/videos

Level 22
Not sure if you like dramas and highschool thingies but

Little Busters, based from a light novel, i'm not good at describing something but this is mostly about friendship. there's also some funny moments and things.
Here's the summary:
The MC, Riki, was a child when his parents died, leaving him hopeless and depressed. What saved him was a group of four kids calling themselves the Little Busters. They took Riki out and played with him during his time of need. He really enjoyed being together with them, and his grief gradually faded away. Now in his second year of high school they still hang out, fight and live together, and enjoy their school life.
the story starts interesting in the second season "Little Busters Refrain"
i cried a lot for this anime.

Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu, A story about stupid children, there's a combat system or something in their school where they can call an avatar with power depends on their grades. Because they're stupid and have low grades, they're studying in class F. the worst class in their school. They can challenge another class with their avatar with permission of the headmaster. once the challenged class has defeated, they can take over the class but if it's the otherwise, their class will get even worse. This anime has a lot of funny part, I laughed a lot for this one.

my other recommendations would be those that people have mentioned before me. I'll add more if i remember the good ones

My personal favorite is Full Metal Panic! and Full Metal Panic - The Second Raid.

Mecha anime done right: A lot of good homour, awesome suspense (especially the terrorist hijack on the first season or the whole second season), great character developement, a lovable main character, great music and realistic displayal of guns and technology.
Plus, I think it's one of the very few anime where the female lead isn't just a disposable sidekick to-be-rescued fanservice slut for the male lead. Chidori is a great character that not only avoids a lot of chauvinistic tropes on fighting shounen series, but also shows a great developement throughout the second season.
And the villain is pure badass.

I started this series and instantly found myself watching it on a two days marathon. Couldn't get enough of it.

I also recommend reading the manga after being done with the series. The background story that does not get completed in the series is awesome.

I never like Code Geass, though. Was too childish for me.

Last edited:
How about Full Metal Panic! Fummofu?
It's merely a romance/comedy spin-off without story content. You can and imho should skip it until you've watched the original series and The Second Raid, as it might give you the wrong impression about what this series is actually about.

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot one of my alltime favs:
Detroit Metal City!

It's basicly a satire on metal music and metal artists and the image they want (or are forced) to create. I laughed my ass off on that series. It's a must-watch if you are into metal!

Last edited:
Level 30
Death Note - probably the only anime I've watched that I was impressed on how two characters battle using their wits, both making their move. One making it's move to reveal if a certain person is Kira (as far as I know) and one to kill this other person who is suspecting him of Kira. (L vs. Light but this changes in the following episodes)

Angel Beats - I don't need to say more. An anime with lots of feels for me like Clannad.

Steins;Gate - Two words, mindfucks and feels.

Here are more:
Date a Live I and II
Majors
One Outs
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls (Anime) - though it would be best to play or watch someone play it's game version (Corpse Party: Repeated Fear, it's equivalent game) because it explains the story much more slower and clearer than the anime which is full of gore, yes, gore... quite overkill. The game and anime has a different ending, it has to do something on who survives in the end.

Sadly, while I pretty much liked this mainstream or popular animes in the past, I've got to agree that they are horrible now. Stories gets too much dragged now and pretty much not making senses at some parts.

Level 14
I've been watched a few animes in last two months:

Angel Beats - Funny, Interesting, Sad.

MM! - Had plenty of laughs out of it.

Kill la Kill - Recommended for Mature Audiences as the costumes are well revealing. Don't try to take the anime seriously, watch it for the action and how ridiculous it is.

Steins;Gate - It's funny, smart and you have to focus a little bit. Also very sad at some parts. It's slow some times but it's a great watch.

Sword Art Online - Good Action, Animation, Story is good, falls off about half way.

No Game No Life - Recommended for Mature Audiences as it's quite revealing. Good if you like games.

Code Geass - REALLY GOOD, RECOMMENDED.

Shinsekai Yori - EXCELLENT STORY OH MY GOD. Characters are nice in depth.

These animes will leave you with a void that can only be filled with more anime. Most of these animes are finished with the exception of No Game No Life which comes out 1 episode every week on Wednesday (Australia).

Level 12
A Certain Magical Index & A Certain Scientific Railgun

These are both great animes about people with supernatural abilites. They are funny and serious with many awesome storylines, although Index and Railgun does overlap in one storyline but with different perspectives. There are also great fightscenes!

Level 5
Kaichou wa maid sama: funny,school life :D
another: horror, so mystery....
sakurasou: Funny too! school life
baka to test : funny again! school life
Ano hana: funny and the end soooo sad...
Sword art online: fantasy, cool!
kokoro connect : funny !! xD

Level 25
Samurai Champloo - Very high production quality, interesting characters, interesting episodes, some extremely funny moments. Only thing it's lacking is an overall story - which might be another advantage depending on your taste.
Yakitate Japan - An anime about making bread. It's simply hilarious, definitely definitely a must-see.
Great Teacher Onizuka - A classic. A reformed gangster becomes a school teacher, and hilarity ensues.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya , I guess it's already been suggested but still..

Too bad you don't like fighting anime, you would've loved Naruto series.

Level 23
Oh, if you want something that can be watched for less than 10 minutes each episode, (usually 4-7 minutes per episode) watch Pupa.

The story is something about a virus, the girl needs to feed on meat because of this virus, her bro gets infected, she feeds on her brother's carcass forever because the virus hyperspeeds flesh regeneration. Not much spoiler here. :p

Definitely not recommended to people who don't like gory stuff. :3

Level 34
Samurai Champloo - Very high production quality, interesting characters, interesting episodes, some extremely funny moments. Only thing it's lacking is an overall story - which might be another advantage depending on your taste.
This. Except you can ignore the rubbish at the end, it's story is actually pretty good.

Seriously the best anime ever made.

Level 6
I was gonna' mention Samurai Champloo, but it seems I've been beaten to the punch. But that's okay, I've others that haven't been mentioned yet.

Firstly, I just need to say, after skimming this whole thread, how on Earth has nobody mentioned Trigun in nearly two and a half pages' worth of thread? xD Maybe I missed it, but I certainly didn't catch it.

So yeah, I'm mentioning Trigun first, simply because it's one of the better popular ones and still hasn't been mentioned. Though my actual first recommendation to you would be...

Monster: A Japanese doctor living in Germany has to make a difficult patient-priority decision which causes him to become suspect as a serial killer, forcing him to live on the run, and pursue the real killer whom is tormenting his life.

Elfen Leid: I don't even fucking know where to start with this one. Crazy fucked up Japanese shit. Scientific experiments. Invisible limbs. Lots of gore. Some.... taboo.... ness....

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann: I honestly haven't really seen enough of this to be able to give a synopsis, but it's fucking badass. So, from Wikipedia: "Gurren Lagann takes place in a fictional future where Earth is ruled by the Spiral King, Lordgenome, who forces mankind to live in isolated subterranean villages. The plot focuses on two teenagers living in a subterranean village, Simon and Kamina, who wish to go to the surface. Using a mecha known as Lagann, Simon and Kamina reach the surface and start fighting alongside other humans against Lordgenome's forces."

Escaflowne: A schoolgirl is transported to another world which blends the elements of feudalism, imperialism, aristocracy, and mechs, where she discovers that she has special powers and develops a complicated relationship with a prince.

Gundam W, more commonly known as Gundam Wing: Another mech based anime, this time in a more sci-fi based universe. Do I actually even need to say anything about this one? I think the internet has this one covered pretty nicely. Long story short: Mechs + political revolution.

If you're a fan of the Dragon Quest series (Dragon Warrior in North America), there are several animés based on it, animated by Akira Toriyama, the creator of Dragon Ball and the art director of every Dragon Quest game. Namely...
Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken (Dai's Great Adventure. I find this a funny title because "Dai" is Japanese for "Great", so it's basically "Great's Great Adventure". lol)
Dragon Quest: Able Yuusha Densetsu (Legend of the Hero Abel)
I've also read that there are one or two other Dragon Quest oriented animés, but I've never been able to find them. Even then, I've never been able to find all of the above two series either. I've never been able to find Able Yuusha Densetsu with subtitles, and the English dub only lasts for the first story arc, so I've never seen all of that. And I've never been able to find subtitled versions of Dai no Daibouken past the first story arc. Really unfortunate, because as a fan of Dragon Quest and Akira Toriyama in general, they were both fantastic.

EDIT: Another great video game based anime would be Ragnarok Online: The Anime. If you're an RO fan, you'll absolutely LOVE this anime. Although the first episode or two are kind of lame, it quickly proves itself to be well worth sticking through them.

Excel Saga: The funniest anime you'll ever watch, about two girls who work for an organization that's trying to take over the world.

Ranma ½: Much less serious, and far more levitous in comparison to the above-listed animés, and so I'm not sure if it'll be up your ally or not, which is why I'm listing it last, but it's my personal favourite. I don't know how to talk about it without giving away spoilers, but I can say that this show really goes a long way in proving the point that you can put "fu" in front of anything, especially once it reaches season 2. Absolutely hysterical animé.

I'm sure I could come up with more if I were to stop and really think about it, but I think that this should be plenty. lol.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Funny, I was in sauna a moment ago

Level 6
Rheiko said:
Dragon Ball Kai (2014)
Its cool, now I can watch DBZ in HD XD
oh, i saw there's the new one but i haven't watched it.
the difference is just that it is in HD? or anything else?
It also "condenses" the story, by cutting out a lot of filler parts (like the ever-so-infamous dire constipation noises). The only drawback is that it also cuts out a lot of essential stuff as well, creating plot holes. I can't think of any off the top of my head, as I haven't seen any of it myself, but I have a friend who's a huge DBZ fan who said that he had to stop watching it because the plot holes were becoming too much.

Level 15
I just watch DragonBall because its funny. The battle scene... its called "Rapid Super Fast Attack"

And Goku is always cheating, when he almost lose
"I have the power to save the world, please give me your strange"
then spirit bomb come, WTF?!?

But its funny

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

Hagure no Yuusha (Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero)

Prolly the best anime I've watched in ages.

It's also ecchi, but it has the best male protagonist I've seen.. ever.

Too bad no season 2... I have to go cry about that now...

Level 18
Chihayafuru: an intense show centered around a competitive game called karuta
Legend of Galactic Heroes:pretty old anime that is a space opera
Tokyo Magnitude 8.0: journey back to home of two siblings through earthquakes and aftermath
Seth no Hanayome: Romantic comedy
Ga-Rei: Zero: Will you kill someone you love because of love?
Gatchaman Crowds: Where there's trouble, we need a hero, someone who we can depend on to ensure the public's safety. Who better than Gatchaman?
Mawaru Penguindrum: Surrealistic symbolism
Phantom: Requiem for the Phamton:
Denpa Teki na Kanojo:

Last edited:

For Filler-less Long Anime, Read Manga xd

Fullmetal Alchemist/Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (Awesome!!)
Highschool of the Dead (But Beware Ecchi)
No Game No Life <-This one is Epic
Beelzebub, (Not Much Good Fighting Scene But I like it)
SAO (Anime I love the Most)
Accel World (Same Writer with SAO, also my Favorite)
Fate: Stay Night/Zero (I love this one, but is lil too Violent a bit (Too much Blood))
Black Rock Shooter (I don't understand a thing in this anime, but I like BRS)

Status
Not open for further replies.