• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gold Ore Mine

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
I've always wanted a more real-looking source of gold. When I saw a couple of resource models on the hive, I decided to make my own, as I already needed a nice-looking gold model to use in my own map.
Since I've seen a few other maps around using alternate forms of gold mining, I decided to upload this for the use of others, hoping it would come in handy!
And, yes, I do know it looks very much like Age of Empires II. I haven't seen the AoEII mine in about 10 years, but I still have a vision of it in my head :)
Update 5/19/11
--Slightly changed mesh
--Changed textures
--Completely new UV wrap

Keywords:
gold, ore, mine, deposit, gather, mining, resource, stone, cheeseburger, metal, rock
Contents

Gold Ore Mine (Model)

Reviews
22:55, 9th Apr 2011 anarchianbedlam: The UV wrap on the rocks are "terribad". blurry and obvious seams etc. I'd use a different rock texture anyway, the "goldmine" texture rocks look terrible anyway. Could use birth and death animations too The...

M

22:55, 9th Apr 2011
anarchianbedlam: The UV wrap on the rocks are "terribad". blurry and obvious seams etc. I'd use a different rock texture anyway, the "goldmine" texture rocks look terrible anyway. Could use birth and death animations too

The wrap still looks very odd and cluttered, because there are too many contrast on the stone and the gold does not look very good because it is too dull.

Level 9
This model would be much more useful if it had a Death and Decay animation.
A occasional "sparkle" effect in stand animation would be nice, but it would be even more nice if it had a work animation with sparkle/glow/dust effect added.

Furthermore it is quite blurry. Suggest you improve the wrap of it.
I was just playing around with textures, this is how it looks with Textures\CollapsedWall2.blp. Looks quite good if I say so myself.
goldmine.png

Does the gold look better with the "chest.blp" texture instead of the Doodads\Dungeon\Props\AzsharaStatue\Azshara.blp texture?

I don't feel like animating the model, so if anyone wants to make a death animation, that would be great. It can be as simple as having it lower into the ground gradually, although individual movement of the rocks would be great.
I have to leave, but when I get back in 8 hours I'll go ahead and work on the model.
I wasn't able to before because I had... problems accessing the computer, due to a genius changing the password but typing it incorrectly.

I actually kinda forgot about this model. Anyway I came back to it. Spent a few minutes changing the wrap and textures, and moving a few vertices around. Updated, hope it looks better than before.
Thanks for the advice, Zpider, it is indeed using CollapsedWall2 as the texture (with a different wrap, though)
However, the chest model is full of golden coins, not solid gold, so it still uses the statue texture for the gold.

Level 19
hmmm...if this is a gold mine where is the entrance? o_O
except if by gold mine you meant many rocks with gold ores on them...
if that's the case then the model is pretty good gj 5/5 :thumbs_up:

It looks Good, but isn´t normal Gold mine enough ?

you can never have enough versions of a model ;p

EDIT:
i opened the model with magos world editor and i have seen that it uses ingame textures...
and im creating a roc map with tft features so i can't use any tft features...
i had to change the in-game textures from textures of roc...
the model looks like the one in the pic that i attached below...
if you don't want me to use the version i modified just tell me and i won't...

Attachments

• gold vine.JPG
    gold vine.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 248
@xorkatoss Sure, you have my permission to edit anything I make, as long as you credit me. Btw since my resource was rejected, it's not like I'm taking much pride in it anyway.

This model will not be approved because I do not plan on changing it. It looks exactly the way I intended it to look. Real gold looks just as it does in my model; real gold hasn't yet been conditioned, and does look dull as the gold in my model.

I'm not "too lazy to change the model"
I'm not going to change the model to look exactly like the warcraft 3 gold mine. There would be no point in importing it.
The whole point of this model is to have an entirely DIFFERENT look to the gold you collect.
You would stand over the chunks of rock as in Age of Empires II and hit it with your pickaxe.
If I change this into a cave and use different textures, it won't be much different from the goldmine already existing in Warcraft III...