• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gloomy Swamps

A 6 players meelee map; enemies are closer than they seem. Updates will follow
enjoy

Keywords:
Melee, Swamp, Swamps
Contents

Gloomy Swamps (Map)

Reviews
10:15, 22nd May 2008 Rui: Approved! See my comment below.

M

10:15, 22nd May 2008
Rui: Approved! See my comment below.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Approved!

This is a fine map. Some points:

[+]The terrain is well-built.
[+]Texture variation is slightly weird but it's OK.
[+]Some Gold Mines can only be reached through a Goblin Zeppelin, creating more strategical points.
[+]The map can have up to 6 players, not everyone has the patience to do a map that big.
[-]The majority of the creeps do not have balanced drops.
[-]Some creeps are in a closed area, although this is not completely relevant as it may be intentional.
[-]Starting (green) creeps leave a plague cloud on your units. Again, it may be intentional, but seeing as they're starting creeps this could be re-thought.

My rating is 4/5 (Recommended)! Keep up the good work.

Level 3
Overall "Gloomy Swamps" is an good map, with decent terrain, item drops and general layout. However, there is room for improvement in some areas.

In my opinion you should add a few more green creep camps, because it didn't seem like you could work up to the stronger creeps, also if you couldn't harass/rush there wasn't much to do early game. Here is what blizzard has to say about creeps:

Blizzard said:
The overall placement of the creep should be gradual, meaning that there should be an easy camp near the start location and as the player moves toward the contested parts of the map the camps should progressively get harder. The idea is to allow the player to do things in the early game, there should be options to rush, harass, or CC (Creep and Conquer)."

"Creep that guard goldmines should never be on camp mode because players will be able to fast expand or build towers near the camp without the creep attacking the constructing building."
(See whole article here)

The terrain and pathing only had minor issues as well, the terrain in the middle of the map looks like it needs to be smoothed a little. There are some "Viny Plants" in purples start location that you can't build on. Also the tree bridges and split ramps the map messes up the pathing map, which confuses computer players (The computer just ran back and forth while I killed it in some places near the expo cliffs).

I give "Gloomy Swamps" a rating of 4/5, good job!

Attached is a image of the trees and ramps pathing.

Attachments

• Pathing.png
    Pathing.png
    719.6 KB · Views: 168

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Rui's review on "Gloomy Swamps" (melee map by Kallimachos)

After a year of taking a look at this map, I am re-reviewing the map with my reviews a little more organized (hehe).
Still, the rating will remain the same.

This map's terrain is more or less good. I didn't see you making much use of the Dirt and Rough Dirt tiles. I didn't like the Noise tool you applied on the center, and the overall structure wasn't very good-looking.

Neutral buildings are correctly placed.

The only thing that, as usual, screws up the map, are the drops. The Murloc camp's items don't seem to be fitting. Still, the majority were well set. Creep choice and placement was good.

Regarding that document up there, I was sure there was a constant building construction detection radius for the creeps, both on Normal and Short acquisition ranges. I'll check when I open up the World Editor.