• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Witch's Swamp

This bundle is marked as lacking. It fails to meet the standard requirements and may only have minor use.
Pretty small map with mostly narrow passages.
Flooded area with pre-allocated places for the construction of buildings.
Expansion areas are open to the enemy, but have a "back door" for faster and safer access for workers to the expansion. A hero or the Tree of Life cannot pass through this back door.

On the map there are: Tavern, Goblin Merchant, Ashenvale Mercenary Camp and Goblin Laboratory.
In total, there are 8 green camps on the map, 16 orange camps (including 4 starting positions) and 2 red camps.
Loot: 8 charging items (including 4 in starting positions) and 14 permanent items.

Change log:
March 14, 2022: Moved creeps on starting gold mines closer to the mines so they don't aggro on a passing scout.
fEJCvqcth6A.jpg
w5lM2xVCMbs.jpg
3FJbbGhAh6g.jpg
fNbF-6x0F6A.jpg
LS4iYEvnpvE.jpg

do you like Reforged?
3a0pIJSo2Pc.jpg
pDhK-pRtLOc.jpg
Contents

Witch's Swamp (Map)

Reviews
mafe
Hello new (?) melee mapper! If this is indeed your first map, it is quite good. Visually the map looks good, the general layout is fine, and creeps/itemdrops are mostly as they should be. The theme with the witches is also unique but not too much...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
Hello new (?) melee mapper!
If this is indeed your first map, it is quite good. Visually the map looks good, the general layout is fine, and creeps/itemdrops are mostly as they should be. The theme with the witches is also unique but not too much over the top.
Nevertheless, it's kinda unavoidable that there are some typical "rookie mistakes":
1. The creepcamps at the shops: The itemdrop is too weak relative to the strength of the camp. Also, these creep might accidentially aggro when units just try to walk past the camp.
2. The "militia shortcut" at the expansion is a neat idea, but problematic for at least two reasons: Humans might be able to expand too safely, other units like footmen/ghuls might also use this path by accident and run into creeps.
3. Pathing in general: There are various other small gaps betwen doodads which can lead to units using unexpected paths (can also be used intentionall to put units into places where heroes cannot attack them), and there are at least two unpathable tiles which appear to be unintentional. See screenshot for examples: red = gape, yellow = unwalkable tile.
1651005019252.png

4. Most creepcamps, but in particular the big valuable camps, are located near the edges of the map. Usually you want to have something near the center that is worth fighting for. There would be enough space, since actually the center is strangely empty, except for the tavern.
5. Canopy trees: Using those is rarely a good idea, as they often just annoyingly block vision.
6. There is no possibility for AoW-creeping at all, which is a big nerf to nightelves.
7. While the map would probably work in 2v2, I dont see it being suitable for 1v1 in its current state, due to the large size/distances and asymmetries in starting positions (with respect to creepcamps and neutral buildings).
8. The highground/lowground situation near the expansions can be confusing since it is hard to recognize ingame, for me at least.

So what does this all mean? Some of these issues should be easy to fix. It's up to you what/how you do this, and what you leave unchanged. But imo at least some updates should be made, due to there being too many issues atm. Therefore map set to Awaiting Update.

Also, feel invited to join the melee mapping discord community, just follow the link in my signature :)

Level 6
Hello new (?) melee mapper!
If this is indeed your first map, it is quite good. Visually the map looks good, the general layout is fine, and creeps/itemdrops are mostly as they should be. The theme with the witches is also unique but not too much over the top.
Nevertheless, it's kinda unavoidable that there are some typical "rookie mistakes":
1. The creepcamps at the shops: The itemdrop is too weak relative to the strength of the camp. Also, these creep might accidentially aggro when units just try to walk past the camp.
2. The "militia shortcut" at the expansion is a neat idea, but problematic for at least two reasons: Humans might be able to expand too safely, other units like footmen/ghuls might also use this path by accident and run into creeps.
3. Pathing in general: There are various other small gaps betwen doodads which can lead to units using unexpected paths (can also be used intentionall to put units into places where heroes cannot attack them), and there are at least two unpathable tiles which appear to be unintentional. See screenshot for examples: red = gape, yellow = unwalkable tile.
View attachment 398730
4. Most creepcamps, but in particular the big valuable camps, are located near the edges of the map. Usually you want to have something near the center that is worth fighting for. There would be enough space, since actually the center is strangely empty, except for the tavern.
5. Canopy trees: Using those is rarely a good idea, as they often just annoyingly block vision.
6. There is no possibility for AoW-creeping at all, which is a big nerf to nightelves.
7. While the map would probably work in 2v2, I dont see it being suitable for 1v1 in its current state, due to the large size/distances and asymmetries in starting positions (with respect to creepcamps and neutral buildings).
8. The highground/lowground situation near the expansions can be confusing since it is hard to recognize ingame, for me at least.

So what does this all mean? Some of these issues should be easy to fix. It's up to you what/how you do this, and what you leave unchanged. But imo at least some updates should be made, due to there being too many issues atm. Therefore map set to Awaiting Update.

Also, feel invited to join the melee mapping discord community, just follow the link in my signature :)
There is actually a new version of this map in another tile set. All updates are there.
1. I agree. These oversights appeared due to the frequent change of the map. Fixed in the new map.
2. I wanted to make an interesting and unique gameplay, but this idea created a lot of new problems. As a result, this feature was removed.
3. I didn't know there was such a view mode (press P). On the new map, most of these things have been fixed.
4. Since the expansions are not at the edges of the map, but in the center, the player has a choice: to push the opponent's expansion or to creep his half of the map. Looks like Turtle Rocks. But then I myself paid attention to the hollow and added creep camps to the center.
5. But in the right places they are very beautiful)
6. They are. Above and below the shops and to the right and left of the orange camps.
7. 2v2 is also a good game mode. And some like bigger maps.
8. There are no elevation changes on the map. Just a thin strip of highground on the expanders for visual effect. Unfortunately, height differences in warcraft do not work the way I would like, so I have to get out in similar ways.