• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gilles Terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 34
Added new screens from RPG! I wish the thread would just update when you change the original post! Oh well.

Level 25
The second to last screenshot isn't that great. Looks messy and there should be Rough Dirt maybe where the chickens are. The stuff around it looks awesome though.

The last one looks great. The only advice I could give is the park deserves some elevation with a hill or two.
~Craka_J

Level 25
Yes true. I always forget to comment about the camera angles! >.<

Anyway I didn't mean it looks messy as in random placements everywhere. I think it's the corn in the view that causes that messy illusion.
The camera angle could've been better, perhaps raised higher so you can see more.
The camera in the last is a bit generic, giving that boring feel. It's not very unique, but hey! The terrain of the city looks great so far. Keep it up!
PS: You better add a bunch of camera modes! ;)
~Craka_J

Level 34
Alright, lol I'll add more angles.

Craka, the problem is I only have one dirt tile. I'm struggling on tiles (the map's large, and I want different types of tile). I also do have height variation, but the problem is that when I add more it starts messing things up.

The idea with the overhead was just to let people tell me what they think should be done with the overall city.

You don't like the rock tile raging? Well it's the only good path tile I have, and I don't mind it, I guess it looks off because of the orange grass around it.

OK adding more! I'll remove the RPG pictures (unless I really like it) and maybe put them into the map develop area later (tomorrow or tonight)

The main reason I don't like it is because it makes me think of a flat mountain :p

I always use those rock tiles only when I create mountains, so looks odd to me when used as road.

I don't think height variation is a big problem in a city, just raise/lower with a single or 2 clicks here and there and it should be fine. A city should be rather level.

Level 34
The park HAS hight variation, one or two clicks exactly! I can try and mess around with the tiles I have and see if I can get a nice path one. Or make it rough dirt?

Perhaps in the corn area add some small grass turfs and such as a fields never are corn-only but has some random grass and other things aswell. I think it would make it look better, just some low grass turfs at the foot of the corn.

EDIT: Then I guess 1-2 clicks weren't enough this time :p Make a few more then, 4-5 clicks. Just a few places to make it look good!

Level 34
I did throw one or two in there, but obviously not enough to notice =P

Updated the farm with (IMO) an ugly dirt tile. I need a dirt tile that's only 1 cost in the modify tile thing.

Level 25
Oh, probably just hard to see. Well having the elevation is a good thing and as long as its in the park as you say it does, it's good. Just about perfect. I'll try to find flaws... besides the stonepath tile by the fountain. Doesn't look proportional to the others. It's too much to the right I think.
[Edit]:
Theres a much darker dirt tile in Dalaran Ruins. Might wanna check that out. Village Fall dirt tiles are dark too.
~Craka_J

Level 34
Remember Craka, needs to be only a value of 1. Both of those are 2. Most grass and dirt are. Also, I am going to need to extend the limit of doodads later. I remember hearing about doing it. I can't remember too well, but can you do it with JASS, or newjenjass? Or whatever it's called.

Level 34
Craka, remind me to fix that later.

Raging, your right, I will throw a new trees in there, maybe use WEU and get more grass tile, and look for some new shrubs/plant models. I remember some on wc3campagins that I really liked.

Err, I just got some weird error when I tried to post.

Level 34
New screen, don't like it much, I liked my idea, but I really just noticed how ugly the coral is with all that green.

Level 8
I like a lot of the screens, however the last one has an overabundance of shrubbery. I'm guessing the viney plants at the bottom are meant to represent seaweed etc, but its a bit too much with very little variation and covers up almost all the tile and possible terrain elevations making it extremely flat looking.

The green fog does a good job representing the underwater sea life, however underwater areas around that depth are a more turqouise/blue color and have quite a bit less undersea life.

The angle its taken at doesnt do a good job implying its underwater either, normally underwater screenshots show a significant background where the doodads and terrain fade into the fog showing the undersea terrain. Try avoiding any views similiar to the default angle to make it a much more interesting shot.

In short:
Bring the angle closer to the ground
Decrease the spammed viney plants :), and add a larger variety of aquatic greenery and animal life
Adjust the fog tinting to a more blue-ish color to more accurately portray the depth
Show more of the actual terrain (not doodads) to show and have more height and tile variation
Try adding larger coral/reef structures and ruins.

+Rep fa sho

Level 34
Thanks for the tips demonsofdante some of what you said is very helpful!

But, I don't want to change the viney plants. Using them to cover the tile was the idea! I will throw more plants in there, and change the color of the "water".

I won't bother adding ruins or making the screen fade into the distance because that would require me to redo all this, I'll just remember for next time.

I will add a noticeable hight variation.

Level 34
I should try that, I can just extend them and stack.

BTW, the first link doesn't work.

Level 34
New stuff. I hope to be done my island terrain by Monday. I can't decide on a good fog. Let me know if you think any other color would be better.

Level 34
Yeah the variation in trees would be nice, but the other palm trees in WEU are so different.

Level 3
Hey Gilles, thanks for the rep for that WoW comic : P

Anyways, this terrain is my style and it's the way I feel terrain should be. +rep

Level 34
No problem, thanks for the rep! =P

You have any insight that could help me? Or is it that perfect! lol

Level 34
Where is it going?
What do you mean? I added a few jungle terrains from a map I'm working on.

Level 25
The jungle is great. And when I say jungle, I mean the actual area where palm trees are placed a lot and ferns, rocks, etc. Looks great and very atmospherical. However once the jungle area stops, it looks really plain. That's the feeling I get. The road needs more stuff on it, what does it need? I don't even know yet. But it looks empty and definately needs some doodads to occupy the emptiness.
~Craka_J

Status
Not open for further replies.