• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Genesis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
GENESIS

Hey guys!

I was here about a year back working on a very ambitious project called RPG Myriad, which I had to put on hold because of a study course I started, but my ambition has not lessened over that time. In fact it got worse. :)

So now that I'm on a brief break, I decided to revisit the concept and build it from scratch again.

My concepts for it have gotten so ridiculous that I was forced to make my map 32x32 just to handle the code I was using.

I am now working on Genesis! The test bed of my dream RPG Myriad.

I'll also be attaching the map here. But at this point I'm not going to be spending a huge amount of time on the forums (except to ask questions about jass probably).

This thread is just to let you guys know that I have a project in the works (or in the works again I should say).

A brief teaser:

I'm experimenting with physics in a large way. Unfortunately I'm not a hugely experienced jasser, as I only had a couple of months of learning to use it before the big year long gap. Don't know how to use hashtables and that sort of thing yet. At the moment the game calculates the molecular makeup of objects to determine mass and properties. It builds them up from elements.

Sympathetic_Objects: This was cool, this is a way to tell the game how things interact with each other. E.g, two hydrogens interact with an oxygen to make water.

Components: Related. Two hydrogens and an oxygen are components of the molecule H2O. This is for processing as well as interface reasons.

Genetic design: It will be possible for players to interact with the universe in what should be an ultimately flexible way, including genetically engineering new creations.

AI: :D Self learning AI?

The main problem I'm facing is not figuring out how to do things, it's figuring how how to do it in a way that the processor can handle. :)

I've figured out a really cool way for the game to simulate real brain activity and input and patterning and all that jazz, including realistic vision, but the processing required to make it effective is a bit tricky.

But hey, it's only a playground for the real thing. I can aim high, and then scale it back as needed. :)

As a note, this is an RPG, but I'm aiming to create the most ridiculously advanced and complex little 32x32 world possible. Wish I could program for real, would make it so much easier. :)

As soon as that's done, I'll probably move on to make a larger, more simplified version based on what I learned, but Genesis promises to be moderately mindblowing.

I'm not going any further into than that because this is only a brief holiday break, and I can guarantee nothing after it's finished. I am really enjoying experimenting with this map though. :) Which is why at the moment, I'm not going to attempt to recruit people to help me yet, until I have something substantial to show.

Thanks for reading!

PS. Be aware that if you look at the map, there's actually nothing to do as yet. Just a couple of people, and some esoteric code I'm working on. So I'd only have a peek if you're interested in the concepts and code I'm working on. :)

View attachment Genesis 0.1.w3x

Last edited:
Level 9
Interesting..Good luck with this project..I like the idea of players able to interact with universe and are able to engineer new creations, playing God.. I would have wanted a system like that on my own map Gods and Empires but its too complex to make and hard to implement..

Status
Not open for further replies.