• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Geki's Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Welcome~!

I am a total newbie in unity, and i will be "Journaling" my journeys and questions about the Unity engine here!.

So far, I have been experimenting with scripting, and managed to get my trigger collider projectile gun to work! :p.

The game i am trying to create is a third person shooter, that goes into First person shooter mode when aiming.

178651-albums6540-picture70962.png

178651-albums6540-picture70961.png

178651-albums6540-picture70967.png

178651-albums6540-picture70966.png

I added a charged function, on where the projectile and explosion get bigger as they charge.

178651-albums6540-picture70963.png

178651-albums6540-picture70964.png

I then used the explosion prefabs that i can get for free in the Unity Store.

and managed to make it work!

178651-albums6540-picture70969.png

178651-albums6540-picture70965.png

Dafuq! xD

I am pretty new to the object oriented programing, and the references has confused me a while, until today.

It took me a while to get the GUI working, and to keep the gun "Facing" the center of the camera target.

I used a raycast (My first raycast success!), shooting from the camera at its facing, to the edge of the realm. or wherever it hits first.

And get the shortest distance as the gun target, to keep the gun facing centered no matter how close or far the target is.

178651-albums6540-picture70961.png

Yes, they work both on 3rd person and First person mode.

Trying out the explosion physics, i made a wall of cubes, to test out how fluid is Unity's built in physics!.

178651-albums6540-picture70989.png

178651-albums6540-picture70976.png

as you can see, Unity constantly runs on 60 fps, even though there are 10k particles or more!, amazing!.

I am using a $700 HP laptop btw, and the specifications is not that amazing either.

The next thing i experimented on is the shader.

I downloaded some shader from the Unity wiki, and tried to apply it.

I tried to create a furball with the fur shader, it works amazing!.

178651-albums6540-picture71048.png

178651-albums6540-picture71047.png

It looks amazing in real time >.<

Its a bit blurry, so i tried playing around with it, to get a more fantastic results!.

178651-albums6540-picture71051.png

I also tried to apply the shader on lots of things, applying it on my terrain made it look like a carpet!.

178651-albums6540-picture71052.png

178651-albums6540-picture71053.png

I also tested out a few skin shader, applying a skin texture i generated with Filter Forge (As well as the normal map, but it seems that normal map generated by other 3rd party does not work well with unity, so i used Unity's normal map generation.).

178651-albums6540-picture71049.png

178651-albums6540-picture71050.png

If you see it in real time, it looks really amazing, that i find it a bit disgusting and scary :O.

anyways, thats it for today!~

Next i am going to do is a raycast gun!.

If you guys could help me out, it will be well appreciated!.

and i will be posting my scripts on demand.

in hope you guys could find my faulty script's errors. xD

since its my first time doing OOP.

Thank you for reading!.

Last edited:
Level 2
Sounds pretty cool, I must say, however I'm not seeing any screenshots! I'm unsure if this is a problem on mine or your end, but all in all sounds pretty good. Not really a fan of any fps/3rd person shooters myself however it looks tolerable. Which is more of a compliment then it may sound!:)

Level 16
Sounds pretty cool, I must say, however I'm not seeing any screenshots! I'm unsure if this is a problem on mine or your end, but all in all sounds pretty good. Not really a fan of any fps/3rd person shooters myself however it looks tolerable. Which is more of a compliment then it may sound!:)

The screenshot can be viewed fine, i am using a phone browser to look at it!, thanks for the support..!

@ghostwolf

Highlighting keywords provides a glance view information, which uses
Both your right and left brain to retrieve the information, where a mere colorless paragraph uses only a small part of your right brain.
This does not need viewer to actually read your whole text, merely glancing at it already gives viewers the idea of what it is about, just because not everyone might find a time to read the whole thing.

You are right about ot being too colorful though. Ill edit it when i get to my laptop.

Level 16
You should!,
I will gladly welcome you xD

Maybe we could even start makin something functional
Together.

This engine is very easy to learn,
The only downside so far is the lack of assets (unit model, animation, etc),
As to compared with the worl editor with everything ready.

Unity is the best ive tried so far, working fluid with 60fps even with 10k particles real time.

You can broaden your design without restrictions, heck im even planning on getting mercenaries to unity.

But with freedom, comes a great price xD

Dem lack of asset and animations is hurting me. That means you have to dedicate more time into your work.

Level 16
I figured out what comes best to use variables!,

Unity variables is a member variable, so its values are unique for each instance.

static variables is wc3 style normal variables, where its value is shared for all instance. this is used as constants in most cases. such as gravity that is used in many other classes.

public variables are member variables that can be referred from other classes.

private variables are variables that are only accessible from within its own class.

normal variables are used only within the class, inaccessible from other places.

hope this helps for someone out there!.

it took me a few days to figure out what is best to use for many situation.
I used to make variables static just because its accessible from outside the class,

which might be bad for multiplayer later on.

that's pretty normal to 3D engines... at least there's a lack of free resources to use... :)

I'll try it out when I get time, quite busy at work...

btw, what's the size of the installer of the engine?
Est 350mb. It's worth it, though. Comes with a sample project and useful packages, like camera scripts and some assets.

Level 16
Its working pretty fine to me Toby, slow internet maybe? cuz the images are really big.

Anyway, nice start Geki! I might try unity if you can really run it on 60fps even on a lowspec laptop cuz cryengine is making my laptop cry.

Its not a start xD,

This is a thread from long before since I started Unity o.o (Its like 5 months ago!)

I have no motivation to update the thread (That is why its kind of abandoned..?)
(Have learned a lot since then)

Anyways, I will be making a new thread, about the new project we are making (Gekigengar and tobyfat50's collaboration!).

It will be announced soon, when my exams are over.

Project Etherium is the name I am thinking of giving for now. (Unity Engine)

Look forward to it!

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/178651-albums6931.html

And yes, it runs on 60 fps without a drop, unless I have over 1 million particles xD)
Both Image below have tons of physics, but it still runs on 60 FPS (Look at top left), my Laptop is bought at 2010, still runs unity smooth! (You can count how many box are affected by physics, still 57++ FPS!)

178651-albums6540-picture70989.png

178651-albums6540-picture70976.png

Last edited:
Level 16
Yeah I know it's the slow internet, and yes this time my internet is slow but I wasn't sure that was the cause of it. It's strange however that only Geki's pics are affected, I don't have any other problems on this entire site.

You guys should follow the project when it comes out!!! Awesomeness is guaranteed!

Level 16
Yeah I know it's the slow internet, and yes this time my internet is slow but I wasn't sure that was the cause of it. It's strange however that only Geki's pics are affected, I don't have any other problems on this entire site.

That is impossible o.o

I tested on my school's lab, and every single one (Well, haven't tried every single one, but almost all of them) do not have any problems with viewing my album :O.

You guys should follow the project when it comes out!!! Awesomeness is guaranteed!

Anyways, yes!, you guys should follow the project, awesomeness is an understatement!

:ogre_haosis:

It will not be just another top-down space shooter game!.
It contains :ogre_love:, :ogre_frown:, and :goblin_boom:!

Created with love directly materialized into a software!

;P

Status
Not open for further replies.