• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Gaming PC Need Help [NEW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey everyone!!
I received a massive amount of help and support on my last thread asking for PC help. From all your help I've decided to build my own computer instead of buying from an 'upgrade-option' store. I have decided on specs according to everyone's help and I have come up with the following specs:

CPU: Intel i5-3570K
Mobo: Asrock Z77M
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850 2GB
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsX 8GB
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 500GB
DVD: ASUS DRW-24B5ST
WiFi: TP-LINK N150 TL-WN781ND
PSU: FSP Hexa Series 500W
Case: NZXT Source 210
Coolermaster ELITE 334U
Coolermaster ELITE 342
Coolermaster K280

As you can see I'm not decided on a case yet... Those are the ones I'm looking at, at the moment. So tell me what you all think!! All that amounts up to $802 at the moment so that's a bit more than I'd like... If you'd like all the prices separate for each component then tell me and I'll add them ;)
Again thank you so much and if everyone who helped out last time could do so again then thank you so much!!!
BTW that price includes postage and is in AUD. The site I used was this one:
www.mwave.com.au
Thanks again everyone in advance.

Level 14
I believe this is one of the best cases for the price range
http://www.mwave.com.au/product/sku-aa12567-bitfenix_shinobi_black_case_usb_30

I'll repost this here
Then there's FX-8350 which might be a bit cheaper.

battlefield%203%201680.png

This video also shows some interesting results of FX-8350 beating Intel in some games
Tbh I didn't watch it fully.

Level 8
That brand of PSU isn't that uncommon, and not necessarily low quality either - it's a primary manufacturer of PSUs, I believe (spent quite a lot of effort on this... Oh well). Other interesting supplies seem to go above 50 bucks, which might be out of your budget.

Level 5
Yeah FSP is the brand that manufactures something like Corsairs and another brand's psu's.
@Nuclear thanks I don't have my laptop at the moment, I showed get it tomorrow do I'll look into it when I get it ;)
Thanks everyone do far keep it up!
@Zakamutt oh and ill add the prices web I get my laptop back as well ;)

Level 5
Going by wikipedia FSP makes Antec, Sparkle Power International, OCZ, SilverStone Technology, Thermaltake, Nexus and Zalman. I know Antec also has PSUs made/designed by Seasonic and there are other brands that have used FSP's designs. Honestly it changes a lot but the modern FSP ones seem fine. I don't know about the older designs though. Also, Corsair's PSU are made by Seasonic. This was rated as the best out of the 11 cheap ones they tested and its MSRP for the US is $55.

Level 8
Note that many of the PSUs tested (but not the winner) do not have two graphic-card-powering connectors (PEGs, apparently). If you wish to run either a high-end gpu or two gpus in a multi-card setup, that will be a problem.

Level 5
The connection type used by graphics cards is PCIe (apparently it is also known as PEG but I've generally heard it being referred to as PCIe) they either use a 6-pin or a 8-pin connector and high end ones can have either 2 x 6-pin or 2 x 8-pin depending on how high end we are talking about. Anyway the one I linked to was the winner and was the one I recommended looking into, but its not the only one with 2 x 8-pin connections the Rasurbo RAP 450w also has them.

Level 5
They share the name as far as I can tell because the cables on the PSU are labeled PCIe. I can take a picture if you want when I open up one of my comps for cleaning. Honestly the cables are only really used for PCIe cards nothing besides them has that kind of connector. Technically I guess the ATX12V one does, but it has its own line/connector. So they're PCIe connectors, and since I like abbreviating things PCIe. Yes I know its the bloody slot as well, but you would never think I was talking about the slot on the motherboard because of context so I can drop the connector to save some time typing.

Last edited:
Level 34
You can get an adapter for the GPU pins (I have used them). It requires two regular power cables from the PSU. If that makes sense.

Level 14
Going by wikipedia FSP makes Antec, Sparkle Power International, OCZ, SilverStone Technology, Thermaltake, Nexus and Zalman. I know Antec also has PSUs made/designed by Seasonic and there are other brands that have used FSP's designs. Honestly it changes a lot but the modern FSP ones seem fine. I don't know about the older designs though. Also, Corsair's PSU are made by Seasonic. This was rated as the best out of the 11 cheap ones they tested and its MSRP for the US is $55.

XFX Core Editions are manufactured by Seasonic, that's why I recommended it.

Level 5
You can get an adapter for the GPU pins (I have used them). It requires two regular power cables from the PSU. If that makes sense.

By regular cables you mean molex ya I forgot about those. Although it would be more economical to buy one that has the correct cables from the start, but it is something to think about if you have an older PSU you can reuse.

Level 5
Hey guys, unfortunately I still don't have my laptop so bear with me till Monday... And lol sure KingZeus I have a old PSU :) its about 15 years old, 240w and is from a brand I've never heard of before, Daltons XD So yeah I can't exactly use it :p I'll be looking at those PSU's guys thanks. Keep it coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.