• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Games stuttering, PC makes grinding noises

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I bought this PC 3 months ago:
Intel i5-760 2.80 GHz
ATI Radeon 5500 HD
3 GB DDR2

So far I have been satisfied, games ran well, e.t.c. But recently, I noticed that a lot of my games (Angry Birds, Magicka, Black Ops, New Vegas) "stutter" for no apparent reason. It's like a game pauses for a millisecond and plays. And it happens every 5 seconds - so annoying! I scanned the PC for viruses, nothing present. I close all demanding programs - still stuttering. I also hear a lot of medium grinding noises from the PC. Can anyone please help me? I'm desperate!

EDIT: Made a scan on HD Tune Pro. Says that I have a damaged sector in Reallocated Sector Count. Could this be any kind of what's causing the problem?

Last edited:
Level 4
Experimented a bit. I lowered anti-aliasing in Black Ops to none, everything else max. Works fine and smooth. While having AA, I have the same stuttering problem.
Also, a lot of people complain about their Magicka game stuttering. But I still have it on Angry Birds. Aaaand Darksiders.
Could it NOT be the HDD?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well its an i5 but yeh, the "i" range only works with DDR3...

Anyway, a grinding noise has 3 causes.
1. A broken hard disk (some form of mechanical damage or problem with it).
2. A fan (most common cause, it just is scraping against the casing or its socket).
3. An Optical Disc Drive (the disc it is reading will usually be rubbish after any period of such a sound).

Try and listen to where it is comming from.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In that case it is a fan, and nothing really to worry about. Just check that all fans are working otherwise you run the risk of thermal resistance of the heatsink going too high.

Try disabling audio and music to see if it makes a difference. Perodic stuttering I heard can be caused by sound cards.

Level 4
Disabled audio, still stutters. However, the grinding actually isn't just occasional. It starts whenever it loads a game or opens a program. And while I'm typing this, I do hear occasional "hurrk" "durrk" from my PC.
As I askedearlier, what are the chances that installing Windows 7 would fix the issue?

As I askedearlier, what are the chances that installing Windows 7 would fix the issue?

nope, since OS would have nothing to do on a hardware problem...

also if ever it was a problem with lack of memory, installing win7 would probably worsen it since win7 takes more memory and games running on win7 also requires more memory than on xp...

and I'm still wondering on how that pc uses ddr2 RAM when it uses i5 processor (which only supports ddr3 RAM)...

Status
Not open for further replies.