1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Gaias Retaliation: Remastered

Discussion in 'Gaias Retaliation ORPG' started by Zwiebelchen, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    With Patch 1.29 hitting the game and offering lots of changes to the editor, including brand new natives that are a complete game-changer for me, I'm planning to scrap most of the core game and battle mechanics and rebuild Gaias Retaliation from scratch.

Over the years, newly made systems and replaced mechanics have had a huge impact on the internal game mechanics. Many features have been updated and refactured partially, resulting in new and old systems co-existing with each other... this created a huge mess of spaghetti code that is hard to maintain and even harder to extend.

So with 1.29 offering new natives that will simplify lots of things (especially changing ability and attack stats, cooldowns, etc.), I finally have that golden opportunity to rewrite Gaias from scratch, making it not only easier to maintain, but also easier to create content.
    At a certain point, its easier to cut a severed leg off and attaching a superior shiny cyber-robot leg than trying to fix the damage.

Among the changes I am going to implement are the following:
    • Complete rewrite of the core battle system to use a behaviour-based approach with streamlined status effects (immobilize, slow, stun, freeze, silence, etc.) to make spell coding more efficient and less prone to bugs when certain spells are used in combination; but also to increase game performance
    • Complete rewrite of equipment and weapon systems (weapons will now have different attack speed timers or different range depending on the weapon type; certain item stats will be changed or removed, new stats will be added)
    • Complete rewrite of the minion system, making them actual ordinary units instead of applying exceptions and special rules to certain types of minions
    • Remake of all class abilities using the new behaviour-approach and making them more modular and extendable
    • All creeps and bosses in the game will now be hero units, which allows for mechanics that are exclusive to heroes to be applicable to any unit (like modifying hero stats, level, etc.)
    Stuff that will most likely stay exactly as it is:
    • Terrain and dungeon layouts
    • Quests
    • Threat system
    • Boss mechanics (mostly)

Stuff that I'm still unsure if I will change it or not:
    • Inventory system (this might be the perfect time to move away from the default WC3 inventory and use an on-screen interface)
    • Class system (This might be the opportunity to move away from advanced classes and make all base classes more spec-based vs. rigid class choices)

Of course, all this will come at a price: the price of rebuilding the game from the core. This means that all existing content will be removed until I had the opportunity to rebuild it. The game will go back to vanilla state, so to speak: few classes, few abilities, limited content.

2. VakarlanS

VakarlanS

Resources:
    Resources:
    Jesus christ my heart can only take so much dude.

3. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
  4. Wareditor

Wareditor

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Glad you have the motivation to do it!
    Good luck and have fun!

5. S0ulseeker

S0ulseeker

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds wonderful zwiebel! ^_^

6. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    That comparison doesn't apply though:
    - I will not throw away everything, just the item, combat and battle mechanics; quests, terrain, dungeons, music, etc. are very functional and will stay the same
    - I'm not a team
    - I've gained experience in coding (contrary to the article)
    - I can actually fix gameplay issues while I'm at it

7. LordDz

LordDz

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds like you know your shit and is confident with it.
    Good luck! :)

8. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Here's some new stuff that the remaster will have:

Randomized Loot

With the ability to edit and change tooltips and names via JASS, I finally have the opportunity to move away from object-editor items and have the opportunity to auto-generate loot with algorithms.
    There will still be hand-crafted items in the game, but these will be restricted to special items or legendary equipment.

Loot will not be uncoditional random as it was with souls. Instead, there will be a selection of 10 stat weight tables per item type so that items generated will always make sense for some classes. Think of Ethereals in the design, just with more variety and a static item level upon drop. Item appearances will be randomized aswell, but only higher grade items gain access to the later item models and skins, to maintain the sense of progression in terms of appearance.

Dualclassing

With the remake of all abilities and hero mechanics, I have the opportunity to allow for more freedom in character builds by moving away from the restricted class choices.
    Instead of picking a base and advanced class, you will now be able to freely mix & match abilities from 2 selected skillsets.
    To allow for this to work properly, I have to update the character models to provide all the required animations for different weapon types, which means that the selection of character models will be limited at first.

Possible skillsets could be:

Warrior (melee, tank and protection, shields, heavy weapons)
    Rogue (melee, mobility, small weapons, utility, weapon enchantments, dual-wield)
    Ranger (ranged abilities, utility, nature spells, spirits, healing abilities)
    Mage (elemental damage, weapon enchantments, elemental summons)
    Mystic (shadow damage, debuffs, utility, dark summons)
    Cleric (holy damage, healing, buffs)

For example, a Warrior/Cleric combination will allow to build a Paladin, while a Warrior/Mystic will create some kind of Death Knight.
    A Ranger/Rogue could be built as a pure archer class, while a Warrior/Ranger could play as a melee that is allowed to summon spirits to his assistance.
    Of course, you will not be forced to actually match abilities. If you want, you can select any combination and only use abilities of one of your classes.

All skillsets will be made in a way that they have abilities that might be beneficial for almost any class. But there will also be abilities that require equipping a certain type of weapon or armor before you can use them.
    For example, while its possible to create some kind of elemental based tank as a Warrior/Mage, some of the strongest mage set skills can only be used with cloth armor equipped. This allows for smoother balancing, as I can put on or release restrictions on popular or less popular skills to make them more or less viable.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  9. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is amazing Zwiebel! I would suggest a kind of team system so that player cap can be increased, while still keeping the dungeon limit (or maybe upping it to 6 players for more dynamical teamplay - of course dungeon content scaled to account for an extra player slot).

On player limits:
    It always annoyed me how limited we were regarding player limits in game, especially since people cannot join a game that is already running. A 10 player limit would be a good change, I think, within the current map limits.
    My dream, however, is 22 player limit to allow for a true online-RPG feel. This would not make sense with the current layout obviously, as every open area is too small to host more than 10 players at the moment. Well it is my right to dream isn't it? (to paraphrase Uther).
    I think, if I remember correctly, you once told me that terraining doesn't take a long time. What about making the areas like Riversdale, Ankhmaron forest, Foothills, and Whitepine a lot bigger to allow for more players playing at the same time? This would be a dream come true for me. Dungeons would still be scaled to 5 players, but you would also have the opportunity to make real raids (+10 players) further down the line. This would also require a party system, so you only get experience and shared loot within your party - not with all the other 21 players! I don't think I have to explain this in too much detail, as such a party system is basically similar to Wow vanilla's (i.e. too many players fighting together = no xp for example).

On Dualclassing:
    Personally, I think more class dynamics is a great idea, it appears in your above post to be kinda like Guild Wars 1 - which is a great approach in my opinion!

10. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Opening the map up to more players will open a can of worms if you ask me. Besides, the game interface wasn't made for this, which would make it clunky at best (well too bad, you can only see 5 people in the quickslots)... I'll think about it, but I make no promises on that front.

11. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    The quickslot issue isnt too bad if you make an ingame party (as opposed to player) limit to 5-6 players :).

I guess this would be doable with some kind of editing of the shared unit advanced stuff.

12. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    All of this sounds amazing! Are you still looking for donations or would more donations be able to help in any way?

Secondly.. Randomized loot sort of scares me. While I really enjoy the concept behind it isn't there some worry about high levels looking for marginal upgrades and taking the items from people who don't have an item of equal level yet? Gearing up could take ages with nearly everyone constantly looking for the same items but with different stats. Would personal loot chests potentially be an option now? Finding items with perfect stats should still take a long time due to RNG, and there'd still be a lot of useless items created but I think it'd be better than fighting over a singular drop each time.

13. Zwiebelchen

Zwiebelchen

Resources:
    Models:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    There will be no trash items. Stat layouts are pre-determined by item type. So you won't have random mixes like Str and Int on the same weapon. That should greatly reduce the number of useless items dropping.

14. BoxOfFaith

BoxOfFaith

Resources:
    Resources:
    I meant hypothetically if we were to get a personal loot chest on kill we could perhaps get a staff drop even if we're on our assassin. This would be considered a trash drop.

We had this problem at Zharo where everyone wanted to play Bard for lightning core, and that was just one legendary material. If people start hunting meta simple blue drops then I dunno.

15. oger-lord

oger-lord

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Is it time for Wurst?

16. fifek556

fifek556

Resources:
    Resources:
    So the next patch for 1.2D(5) is gonna be the last?

I like how the classes can be mixed, it solves the eternal issue of “one and only way to go”.

What about the legendary items though? Since the wipe is coming, is it gonna be the same workload to get current craftable legendaries like right now?

17. styles

styles

Resources:
    Resources:
    *heart beating stops*
    thats nice to hear!

idk if it is forbidden to ask but did you ever consider coding the game in sc2 or dota2?

18. Jumbo

Jumbo

Resources:
    Resources:
    Yeah, he did. But luckily there is no need for that now.

19. S0ulseeker

S0ulseeker

Resources:
    Resources:
    would a complete rework of the classes into duel specing result in a code wipe? I personally wouldn't mind creating a new character with these mechanics but I know some people may be sad to press the restart button after farming their chars for so long. I don't really see any way around not having a code wipe though seeing as the fundamental classes will be drastically different

20. SaikoDeMoN

SaikoDeMoN

Resources:
    Resources:
    I've put plenty of time into my codes but I'd be happy to restart with all these system changes. Also, we won't have sufficient test data if everyone doesn't play through from lvl1.

What I'm curious about is how you fit random items into the code system. Don't you have limited space in the code for items?