• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Gaias 1.2 ... and yes, I'm not joking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
I decided that wisdom and constitution need a change for balancing reasons. That's why I will add another use for them in 1.2:

Constitution now (in addition to the linear HP gain) now also grants +0.2 HP per level of constitution per character level.
So a level 50 character with 25 points in constitution will gain additional 250HP to the flat bonus. This is to avoid constitution getting totally outclassed by gear +HP in lategame.

Wisdom now (in addition to the linear MP gain) will also increase all resistances by 2% per wisdom point.

Also, there is going to be a change to the skill scroll system. Instead of powerups, scrolls will be consumable items, which can be put into your backpack, can be saved and kept until you need them. Also, the scroll won't be consumed when its used, so you can keep it in case you want to unlearn and relearn spells. Of course, once used or saved, you can not trade them anymore.

Last edited:
Level 3
I can see the point on the constitution and wisdom idea, but about the spell scrolls: Will it be a temporary effect? What about the inventory, wont it be too full to carry potions and use scrolls all over?
If the answer is yes, i guess this is going to affect the game mechanics alot.. which i think its fine as it is.

Level 8
Wisomd and ressistance sounds not good to me...

cos only bishops will use it tbh, sorc and necro dont rly need it thx to mana replenishment with auto attack after everyspell so 5 wisdom pts is max depending on how long boss fights will be but I doubt it will take 3 times more time, cos if yes than melee classes like assa will go oom b4 boss has 1/2 hp ;)

so its bishop bonus, if he got for 10 wis he get 20% ressi so its natural 35% all ressists, +55-70% from gear = immunity on certain elementals bosses

Maybe wisdom should grant spell critt power instead or just critt power, so it make this atribute more attractive for non caster classes

Level 6
adding something to wisdom would be great...but resists ?

Would like to add 0,5 AP + SP each point or crit (for wise use of the power) or mana regain

Const could get (very) low life replenish or little armor as add (because everybody stats)
If u want give player more health just +20hp / point

btw. every char gets same amout of bonus from const / wisdom?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Wisomd and ressistance sounds not good to me...

cos only bishops will use it tbh, sorc and necro dont rly need it thx to mana replenishment with auto attack after everyspell so 5 wisdom pts is max depending on how long boss fights will be but I doubt it will take 3 times more time, cos if yes than melee classes like assa will go oom b4 boss has 1/2 hp ;)
You just answered your own question. If fights get longer, classes like assa and berserker will be required to specc some wisdom, which is intended. It's just additional flavour I added to the stat as I felt wisdom needed a buff. Nothing mandatory. Just bonus for those that like to specc a little bit more wisdom than other people.
As those classes that need higher amounts of wisdom (casters) usually have less hitpoints than melee classes, I felt that resistance was the way to go in order to improve their survivability a little.
For Thief archetypes, this means that wisdom might actually be worth a few points.

Also, it adds some nice new flavour to tank builds: Go full Constitution and take the full damage or actually specc some points into wisdom instead, reducing the amount of damage received and make it easier for healers? Maybe sacrifice some INT (for crusaders) for the sake of taking less elemental damage?
I can see this change opening up new possibilities.

I can see the point on the constitution and wisdom idea, but about the spell scrolls: Will it be a temporary effect? What about the inventory, wont it be too full to carry potions and use scrolls all over?
If the answer is yes, i guess this is going to affect the game mechanics alot.. which i think its fine as it is.
I don't quite understand what you mean by "temporary effect"?
You learn the spell by "consuming" the scroll instead of just picking it up, like it was before.

Sure, keeping a scroll after learning the spell will take up inventory space. Which is fine if you ask me, as 1.2 will come with either a way to expand your backpack or with a storage.

Level 8
yes, but assa or rangers alrdy have to go for str like 5-10pts
now puting 5 pts on wisdom will resoult in low hp

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Its a trade, nothing more. You gain something, you lose something. It's up to the player to decide which one suits their style of play more.
By adding resistances to the wisdom stat, the stat might actually get a lot more useful for all classes, not just casters.

If I add something like sp or crit to wisdom, people would still gain up to no benefit from wisdom, as their "main stat" is still superior in terms of dps net gain. That's why I added a defensive component to wisdom.

Level 8
for some classes it easier choice.

Zerker go max str / const maybe agi
so 3 pts on wisdom is like nothing
but assa need atleast 5-10 str pts and than is on 300-350 hp what is very low
so for 2 times longer fight he need atleast 4 wisdom and thats big hp lost
for 3 times longer fight mana pot is a must.

but anyway if assa get armor penetration boost than thhey may not need to put so much pts on str.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
for some classes it easier choice.

Zerker go max str / const maybe agi
so 3 pts on wisdom is like nothing
but assa need atleast 5-10 str pts and than is on 300-350 hp what is very low
so for 2 times longer fight he need atleast 4 wisdom and thats big hp lost
for 3 times longer fight mana pot is a must.

but anyway if assa get armor penetration boost than thhey may not need to put so much pts on str.
I will add armor penetration to Agi class items for sure, as I am aware of the drawback agi classes still suffer.

Level 13
Assassins don't NEED the str points, but yeah more arp on upcoming items for sins/rangers would be nice since the idea of those kinds of characters would be precise smacks through the armor. Maybe reduce berserker arp since they're practically just whacking away at something with force.

Either way, the changes sound nice zwieb, it will be good to see people with custom stats rather than full mainstat/con. could really help bring the diversity up for 1.2 onwards, super idea. As long as endgame res gear is balanced around wisdom and its bonus, since you don't want people rocking around with 120% in a resistance.

Also, how it is currently, a crusader could throw 5 points in wisdom for 100% FR, which seems like a pretty lacking tradeoff on the sacrifice side. Maybe with the change, lower the general resistance amongst items current, up the difficulty a bit.

Level 13
considering, papadragon, you're basing that off a 43 sin on a boss made for lower levels and d4 is upcoming, I personally think survival will be more important than dps in future runs. Plus if bladefury gets a buff on its damage output we'll see more use for wisdom on sins.

As zwieb said, he's looking at 10-30 minute boss fights or some crazy shit

it sounds awesome.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Also, how it is currently, a crusader could throw 5 points in wisdom for 100% FR, which seems like a pretty lacking tradeoff on the sacrifice side. Maybe with the change, lower the general resistance amongst items current, up the difficulty a bit.
Well ... theres probably not going to be an encounter that relys that heavy on fire again. Maybe some bosses will use fire attacks, but not exclusive.
And as the current fire resistance gear will be outclassed soon by new equipment coming up, I don't see a problem there - unless you guys are really willing to sacrifice a lot of stats and HP just for insane fire resistance.

Fire resistance gear was somewhat of a time sink for D3 endgame. Don't expect D4 items to yield that many resistances again. There will be some resistance items, but not as single-sided as they were in D3.
Also, there won't be "good" items with tons of resistances again. Thaumaturgist's robe was kind of a joke in that direction. When I was implementing the fire resistance gear and adding the Blazing Flame encounter, I simply forgot about that robe and when the content was released, I didn't feel like removing the resistance from the Thaumaturgists Robe again... that surely won't happen again.
All resistance gear will come with setbacks in other stats to make up for that.

And 10 to 30 minute fights? I never said that, really. 10 minutes is what I am aiming at for special encounters. Most bosses will be at like 5-6 minutes - which is still a lot more than all of the current bossfights. Everything over 15 minutes would be just ridicolous.

Level 8
for hunter sacrificing hp is not sucha big deal like for assa, dont forget its meele class, so it takes more dmg durning boss ancounter (cleave, innicerate, meele units, faster in agro range and ofc much higher agro generating)

If assa go for str and wisdom it fail on hp, and if we go for wisdom instead we lack arp for bladefury and we loose overall dps.

so Z... I hope u keep ur word about adding arp for agi based class and add 100% arp for bladefury as u said, and ofc fix coupe de grace tripple crit chance proc.

Level 9
well sounds good, maybe increase Mana consumption for Heaven's Edge, or I don't know if it would be possible but for every Xamount of hits whiles Berserker rage is active you lose some mana so like every 5 attacks you lose 1 mana, making wisdom more required for berserker, lowering either precious dps or precious survivability.

Level 13
Well ... theres probably not going to be an encounter that relys that heavy on fire again. Maybe some bosses will use fire attacks, but not exclusive.
And as the current fire resistance gear will be outclassed soon by new equipment coming up, I don't see a problem there - unless you guys are really willing to sacrifice a lot of stats and HP just for insane fire resistance.

Fire resistance gear was somewhat of a time sink for D3 endgame. Don't expect D4 items to yield that many resistances again. There will be some resistance items, but not as single-sided as they were in D3.
Also, there won't be "good" items with tons of resistances again. Thaumaturgist's robe was kind of a joke in that direction. When I was implementing the fire resistance gear and adding the Blazing Flame encounter, I simply forgot about that robe and when the content was released, I didn't feel like removing the resistance from the Thaumaturgists Robe again... that surely won't happen again.

And 10 to 30 minute fights? I never said that, really. 10 minutes is what I am aiming at for special encounters. Most bosses will be at like 5-6 minutes - which is still a lot more than all of the current bossfights. Everything over 15 minutes would be just ridicolous.

The resistance ideas sound good, wasn't expecting crazy gear after the wisdom change, looking forward to it as usual.

As long as fire related Dot and shit don't end up being obsolete, I'd hate to see dungeon after dungeon based around singular elements, I like the ideas of variation you're working with.

Bugger I misread something then, oh well, 10 minute fights sound fun. Yeah 15 minutes + does sound extreme but might make for some find endgame fights. Overall as long as the difficulty keeps scaling I'm content.

for hunter sacrificing hp is not sucha big deal like for assa, dont forget its meele class, so it takes more dmg durning boss ancounter (cleave, innicerate, meele units, faster in agro range and ofc much higher agro generating)

If assa go for str and wisdom it fail on hp, and if we go for wisdom instead we lack arp for bladefury and we loose overall dps.

so Z... I hope u keep ur word about adding arp for agi based class and add 100% arp for bladefury as u said, and ofc fix coupe de grace tripple crit chance proc.

With the change to constitution as well, the stat won't require as many points to reach a solid hp cap. Points can be taken from there to cover wisdom. Plus not every class needs 50+ arp at 43 to do well, I'd imagine it would depend on d4 boss armor ratings etc. The fixes to bladefury and coupe would help though

well sounds good, maybe increase Mana consumption for Heaven's Edge, or I don't know if it would be possible but for every Xamount of hits whiles Berserker rage is active you lose some mana so like every 5 attacks you lose 1 mana, making wisdom more required for berserker, lowering either precious dps or precious survivability.

^ could be worth looking into, especially for squire classes, since their mana pools tend to be endless in most situations currently.

Again, d4, balancing for then.

Level 8
With the change to constitution as well, the stat won't require as many points to reach a solid hp cap. Points can be taken from there to cover wisdom. Plus not every class needs 50+ arp at 43 to do well, I'd imagine it would depend on d4 boss armor ratings etc. The fixes to bladefury and coupe would help though

Assa lack a lot to 50 arp

with 5 str pts and coat i got 27 arp + 14arp from vial its 41 so -14 dmg for each bladefury blow on shade. (and i have quiet low hp due to -5 const pts and and no hp from coat)

Level 13
Sins do deal less damage than necros and zerkers yeah but their dps is pretty up there regardless. classes shouldn't be managing such ridiculous amounts of arp with gear from the same dungeon as 50 armor mobs, that seems ridiculous to me, rendering boss armor useless. If anything classes should have less arp so skills like acid are important for zerkers as well.

Overall 41 arp is a lot, and shades armor is 50

5 points is what, 2arp? that's not much really when it comes down to it and that 5% resistance + mana for upcoming sin skills might help balance out the damage factor.

Level 6

no answer to my posting :goblin_cry:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...im-not-joking-196148/index57.html#post2121207

Last edited:
Level 8
str = ap, arp, critt power for squire class
agi = ap, asp for agi based class

I rly think agi should grant critt chance also for balancing

Level 14
Actually noone needs evasion, except for tanks. Resistance is different, everyone requires some to survive spells/elemental attacks.
Evasion is a very efficent way for those classes which get hit all the time (=tanks) to reduce AVERAGE damage taken. But classes which only hit unfrequently should get resistances to lower that damage in order to survive it instead of getting evasion and leave it to chance.

Level 8
I think extra ressistance wont make it more attractive as all have to pick or will simply go oom durning combat, so its like more like improovement for casters.

and thats good ;)
I would love to give them some critt power bonus from wsidom too for dps balance.

Level 13
It always did.

Yeah but it grants bugger all I think, isn't it something like 5 points = 1% crit. Assassins don't manage very high crit chances, compared to hunters, and roughly equal to berserkers.

Actually noone needs evasion, except for tanks. Resistance is different, everyone requires some to survive spells/elemental attacks.
Evasion is a very efficent way for those classes which get hit all the time (=tanks) to reduce AVERAGE damage taken. But classes which only hit unfrequently should get resistances to lower that damage in order to survive it instead of getting evasion and leave it to chance.

Isn't evasion based off agil though? And items etc. So overall agil based classes get a small bonus to it anyway. Not positive on this I can't remember for the life of me.

I think extra ressistance wont make it more attractive as all have to pick or will simply go oom durning combat, so its like more like improovement for casters.

and thats good ;)
I would love to give them some critt power bonus from wsidom too for dps balance.

The resistance bonus is good, it would be nice to see classes that function with anywhere between 3 - 10 points in wisdom, even if it's purely to hit a number that reduces an instance of elemental damage to a safe level. Considering we can restat at will, it's really a nifty bonus as we can set certain builds to certain bosses in the future. Just ask for crit + arp on gear lol that will balance our late game assassin dps

without Resistance most of the characters would die to fire strike in first dungeon in 1 hit

They're meant to, even with 10%, any early game team would die without disabling the firestrike, hence why it can be disabled.

Level 14
without Resistance most of the characters would die to fire strike in first dungeon in 1 hit
That has absolutely nothing to do with the resistance balancing since you are supposed to interrupt that spell.

Yeah but it grants bugger all I think, isn't it something like 5 points = 1% crit. Assassins don't manage very high crit chances, compared to hunters, and roughly equal to berserkers.
Correct me if im wrong, but thief based classes should have way higher critpower then rangers (+50% passive ability). So less chance but higher power sounds quite fair!?

Level 13
That has absolutely nothing to do with the resistance balancing since you are supposed to interrupt that spell.

Correct me if im wrong, but thief based classes should have way higher critpower then rangers (+50% passive ability). So less chance but higher power sounds quite fair!?

That's true, I wouldn't want to see thieves rocking around with 50% or more chance to crit but somewhere between 30-40 wouldn't hurt.

Also, Hunters have pretty solid spell nukes for their crits to work with, the AP based arrows etc. Thieves lack that. Then again they do have a pretty solid attack rate. I personally haven't found many issues with their dps, moreso that berserkers have too high a dps rate

Level 6
another thing at the monk i dont get...
if steel body activ u cant shield but bol works

ok u could switch steel off, shield and turn it on again...but i dont know if is realy helps alot because u lost armor while shield again.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
zwi why dont you fix monks?? other thing in 1.2 will have a new class?
Seriously what do you expect me to answer to this one? This is one example of criticsm that is absolutely NOT helpful.
The monk issue was discussed already and I think everything that needs to be said has been said.

And no, 1.2 will not have a new class. It has been mentioned numerous times already.

if steel body activ u cant shield but bol works
This is intended. As BoL is a high CD spell, people can't use it to have a "healing tank", which is the only reason monks can't heal and shield during steel body.

Level 6
divine fist - I looked on my lvl32 monk, skill does ~70dmg (based on sp!) and needs 10 hits on enemy. Buff Counter stands (only) 3 seconds
looks myself little very low.

Would like if it does every elemental dmg maybe for lesser dmg --> 50firedmg 50waterdmg 50poisondmg 50divine 50shadow...

other thing is...my monk does 123% Crit with steel...would useless to add crit on wisdom or?

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
other thing is...my monk does 123% Crit with steel...would useless to add crit on wisdom or?
Wait ... this is clearly a bug. I'll go check it out. All classes should have at least 150% crit damage. Can you give me a description on how you found out and how to reproduce this bug?
And seriously, why does nobody report something like this? It's obvious that this is not intended. -_-'

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Finally managed to get some time to terrain a little bit.

The mine is finally done now. Next on the list is another small mountain north of it - The last part of the mountain area that is not covered by snow terrain.

Attachments

• 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 176

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
New screenshots, featuring an area populated by spiders.
The last screenshot shows footage of a new minor system I wrote: The camera angle in the free camera mode now adapts to the terrain. The angle of attack will be slightly increased when a high mountain is blocking vision to the terrain behind.

Attachments

• 24.jpg
    24.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 25.jpg
    25.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 201
  • 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 152
Level 13
spidermines, badass, incoming poison damage boss imo

New system looks interesting, can't wait to trial it.

Level 6
i hope on a nice demon like balrog as boss monster ;)

btw in legendary monsters are a nice spiderlike skin....spawn of nature
2csgaoo.png

Status
Not open for further replies.