• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Full screen inventory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I want to see a full screen inventory that uses nothing but images and trackables that way you can adjust all of it by triggers without having to place any destructibles or doodads at all.

it seems it would be a much more efficient way to create one since you can do so much more with images without having to create destructible models to look like buttons just use an image and place a trackable at the position of the image.

this request is more of just a challenge for all my fellow programmers out there just to see if it can be done in wc3.

Yeah you can use Maker's system.

However, images require you to create a custom image for every icon you want to use. In most cases it is only 16 kb or so but it adds up. That whole process can be avoided by using destructables. Also, in my experience images take a bigger hit on performance than destructables do by a decent margin. (now, this is just from my past experience, it might not be necessarily true)

Besides, even if the images are easy to modify, the trackables aren't. You still would be limited in terms of size and moving. :( That's why I highly recommend using destructables instead. It makes life easier.

yeah... and people tend to avoid trackables now too... the newer inventory and custom selection systems now utilize units instead of trackables... they are more responsive and not laggy...

the advantage of images though is that you can actually avoid the need to use a certain part of the map just for the FSI... just like how SoE is currently doing it (inventory system right at your current screen, no more camera panning to somewhere else)... so you can ask Tukki about how he did it... your idea is actually already done by someone...

112891d1334147624-orpg-shadows-everwood-infoandbackpack01.png

its just the backpack inventory for now, but since that was already done by them I think they are already working on doing the equipments like that too... it will just be extending their current script...

btw, I believe Maggy actually posted a more general idea on the Hive Idea Factory... its basically a window manager idea which of course if done, can be easily extended to do systems like this...

Level 12
wow thanks for the responses but with the people not wanting to use trackables i dont understand that i love using them with the system "Track" it allows you to easily keep up with them and it allows great functionality without worry of desyncs.

and as for the images i was thinking you could make a inventory on nothing but lets say the "window system" and use nothing but ingame images after that maybe use there command button disabled versions and then when you gain an item you could just switch the image to the items image.

Status
Not open for further replies.