• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Full GUI Item Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Howdy!

I wanted to get input on this system before I release it on the spells section, it is a very simple GUI item system / generator. Every item is created from a single item type and then icons and tooltips are fixed according to the item's stats. I've also created an item indexer to go with it, to keep track of the item's stats (it doesn't care about the stats on the units, it just adds / subtracts them from it).

Items can be randomly generated, or created by hand (or a mix of both, it's very powerful for the little that it does ^^...).

Item levels are supposed to go from 1-10.

Item stat variances can be adjusted easily.

Items come with a base stat (can be changed easily), example is swords come with damage, etc.

Items can have various rarities (atm, there are a total of 7 quality levels).

Item stats also have a quality level, based on the amount of "hits" that it got while rolling it's stats. An example would be an item that rolled strength 6 times, strength would appear as a legendary stat on the item.

Let me know what you guys think!

y00gm.png

Attachments

• ThisPOT's Simple Item System BETA V1.0.w3x
    50.5 KB · Views: 94
Level 11
I'll release the missile system before wc3 remastered launch ^^... I hit a snag in the way I coded it and was going to redo it from scratch to make arcs more accurate, and simplify some parts of the system which were not needed. I have a working version if you need one earlier tho (where I just removed all arcs, but everything else is there).

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
I rewrote this post 2-3 times already, I am very conflicted on this system.

It does not quite click with me, I do not like the logic of a level 1 legendary item possibly being worse than a blue level 10.
I do not think you need both a rarity and a level unless you're making an RPG map.
This system is not very compatible with neither melee or campaigns IMO, not even AOS if DotA is anything to go by.

I also notice a lack of extension options. (1-10 levels, 7 rarities)
This could be a solid base for other systems, but only if data is exposed/accessible.

For example, a system for only allowing one "two handed" weapon per unit.
Do this system allow me to do like:

GetItemDataById('i000').weaponType //returns "Two Handed"

A rambly response I guess, hopefully it highlights my thought process well enough

Level 11
I rewrote this post 2-3 times already, I am very conflicted on this system.

It does not quite click with me, I do not like the logic of a level 1 legendary item possibly being worse than a blue level 10.
I do not think you need both a rarity and a level unless you're making an RPG map.
This system is not very compatible with neither melee or campaigns IMO, not even AOS if DotA is anything to go by.

I also notice a lack of extension options. (1-10 levels, 7 rarities)
This could be a solid base for other systems, but only if data is exposed/accessible.

For example, a system for only allowing one "two handed" weapon per unit.
Do this system allow me to do like:

GetItemDataById('i000').weaponType //returns "Two Handed"

A rambly response I guess, hopefully it highlights my thought process well enough

Thank you for your extensive feedback! It is much appreciated. I will try to elaborate as much as possible.

1st I'd like to say that this is a pre-demo, I have been working on the system a lot and there are a ton of new options now (I will upload the new version soon), and that I've decided to make it more of a RPG/ORPG template after all (with more than just an item system included).

Yes, a level 1 legendary is worst than a level 10 blue, this is because I made this system to work with ORPG's (remember julien's open rpg back in the days? To fit something like that). The reasoning is that level 10 is the "endgame", and every level should take time and be meaningful (legendaries have a 1/200 drop rate so they are not very rare if you make it drop. However this can easily be changed, though the triggers are a bit of a mess atm (the formula to adjust stats based on level and rarity is located in the "TPIS Find Stats Fix" trigger).

About the lack of extensions, you may be right. Though it is quite easy to reduce the amount of rarities in the trigger: "TPIS Find Quality", it is impossible to add any atm (the item level can be whatever you want, it's just that some stats, such as attack rate, may become OP if your full inventory is full of items level 10+).

To find an item's slot (like one-handed, two-handed, off-hand, etc.) you just need to refer to the Integer in the hashtable: X of item's custom value of hash. For two-handed it would be like 2 of X of hash. I know this is not optimal to make changes for casual users, and may change this in the future.

Though I may not have addressed everything, I am thankful for you taking the time to let me now your thoughts, and will use your input as I continue working on this.

Level 4
LOL sorry I was not articulate enough! What I mean is this... I play on the standard melee ladder maps, but as a small difference I have all the items in the game included, such as ones not on the random lists, campaign items, purchasable items, etc all spawn on the lv 1 to 6 lists (permanent, charged, power up). Lately I have been making more items, such as rings of armor and haste or weapons with movement speed, etc. Now, if somehow the map could generate random items each time the map loads to be found on said maps, I would suppose assigned to lv 1- 6 and perm, charge, pu... it is very fun to find newer items!

Status
Not open for further replies.