• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Frostsaber in 5 versions (it's a submission, not a request)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
(***First of all, I really don't know where a moderator will(or not) move this thread, but I just wanted to make sure I've submitted my contribution in an unaltered and accessible state
►So, this is Tyrande Whisperwind's tiger:-Frostsaber. What I did to bring this little kitty to you was to erase the rider(Tyrande/Mirana) and I also re-painted some parts from the tiger's texture. As you will notice, the variation between the cats is represented by the fact that they have/miss some armor parts. I made this cat in order to help me and other people with Run Kitty Run maps, and I also wanted to share this with the world because I couldn't find this cat anywhere else. I hope you'll like this!
►Technical specifications:xxd::
-No altered animations
-Can still attack
-No altered speech
-It's the original!:grin:
►Tools used:
-MPQ Editor
-The Gimp
-Magos' Model Editor
-Warcraft 3 viewer
-A few other little tools(from here)
-My right hand:grin:
*If you want to credit me, write "Ctgk" in the credits :)
*Edit:added "no glow" version as requested by Lightskin

◄►Original:

kittens.jpg

◄►No glow version:

kng.jpg

"*Some manually added quotes(may help): Frostsaber, Frostsabre, white, tiger, cat, kitty, kitten, rkr, run kitty run, cats, mirana, tyrande whisperwind's mount"
->Regarding the importing of the models, the textures must have the same name(current/original names I submitted) with the model(frw.mdx -> frw.blp). The custom path must be set to contain only the texture and/or model name(no "war3imported/")

Attachments

• Frostsaber_pack.w3m
    1.2 MB · Views: 87
  • Frostsaber_pack_no_glow.w3m
    1.2 MB · Views: 88
  • Fp_no_glow_models_and_skins.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 70
  • Fp_original_models_and_skins.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Level 2
Please specify a correct user name, for I couldn't find his work. And btw, if he did what I did here, why I couldn't find ANY map with a good looking frostsaber as a separate unit? I edited these cats because I needed them and they were Nowhere to be found.

Level 2
I'm glad you like it, mate:grin:. Yes, I know about the white tiger(I've seen it about one month ago, didn't remember the author). I also saw it on a map(before coming here) and it quite disturbed me.
@Fan:-well, I would like to ask you, what makes you think this would not be approved? Dan's tiger(which I doubt it excels my version in terms of quality and in terms of time invested) was pretty successful and wanted, even if it is "funny looking" as someone commented in its thread. Still, the man did his job and made a "few" guys happy-which is to be respected. I hoped I'll manage to achieve the same thing, so here I am sharing these with you. Have a nice day guys!

Level 15
Ok post the MDX format in the Modeling & Animation section if you want to get the attention of experienced modelers. From what I can tell from your description, all you've done is remove the huntress rider and wielded the hole in the vertexes together. The wrap is a bit warped due to this, you'll need to fix that using LithUnwrap or mdlvis which is somewhere on some russian website. I'd suggest using the in-game texture, there's no way any mod will accept a custom skin of exactly the same thing found in the mpq.

Also you say that it can still attack, however the animation for the Huntress model has a ranged attack, so when the tiger attacks it'll just bob a bit. This is not acceptable as an attack animation, you'll need to either transfer an animation from another blizzard model or reanimate it yourself using a 3D animation program like Milkshape or Gmax. This goes for any other animations that interacted with the Huntress mount, ie spell, channel, etc. You'll also need to delete the bones that interacted with the mesh you deleted. Does this make sense to you?

These are all things that DvO has done with his model, and have been done with planning, intent and skill. He hasn't just ripped the top of the huntress model and called it his own work, there's a lot more fine-tuning and rationale to the work than you may realise. That is why it looks the way it does, it's not because it's sloppy work but because it's the best possible execution within the boundaries of a model acceptable of being noted as 'original'. I hope this is helpful and I wish you good luck with your future modeling!

Level 2
I'm sorry mate, but you're fully wrong. You didn't even bother to read the description or even check the included models and textures, did you? The thing that people don't understand is that I don't need attention. I need people only to be aware that my contribution exists. Got it? It's a pity that my "newcomer" status suggests to you that I am one(and I'm not).

Level 15
I've no idea where this hostility is coming from. It's not that I didn't bother, it's that I couldn't because you hadn't given the MDX format. I personally can't open warcraft 3 or the world editor because of problems with my computer that i don't know how to deal with. But i can however open the MDX in mago's, as other modelers would be more inclined do so as well because they can get a better view of the model's texture and animations. You say you want people to be aware that it exists, but no one will know except for a few people who happen to come across it when looking to help people with their requests, given such a statement i can safely say that you are a newcomer to the site itself, but i can't make a proper judgment of your modeling skills until you post an mdx format and a blp on the site/post. I did read the description, and yes i did my best to address every aspect of it, i'm sorry if some information escaped me.

If you want to make this an argument be my guest, but you can count me out. I'm impartial.

Level 2
I'm sorry for any hostility my post may suggest mate, but I didn't mean it(perhaps emoticons may have made you more "comfortable", but they're quite... not very accurate). From where could have I known you can't open the maps? Ok, I'll update the original post with the mdx and blp files. My post was meant to be neutral/statistical...
Regarding the "newcomer" thing:-yes, you interpreted quite right, I'm am one to this site, but not one to the 3d world(got into it about 5 years ago). Did you go to thehelper.net and ask there for some help regarding your PC?

Status
Not open for further replies.