• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Frost Nova special effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
I created a ground-targeting frost nova spell (kind of like Ice Nova in Dota). It's all working nicely except one thing:

I made the special effect the frost nova animation on the ground. It looks fine except that after the animation plays, there is a little bit of ice sticking out of the ground for something like 15-20 seconds lol. I am destroying the effect immediately after creating it, so it's not that it isn't removed, it is just part of the animation I guess.

Any way to make it go away? I could potentially use a unit dummy for the animation and remove it from the game, but that's a bit expensive / overkill. It's not a huuuuge deal to leave the ice there, it just looks weird.

Level 12
Try using Vexorian's dummy with "origin" attachment point instead. Attach the SFX to the dummy. When you want the SFX to disappear, remove the dummy. If that didn't work, try setting the dummy's scale to (0, 0, 0) to remove the SFX, then remove the dummy.

I think that would be overkill as well :/ I think making my own frost nova dummy would be easier. I can make the unit transparent or fully remove it when I want it to go away.

Level 23
Nope, that won't be an overkill. Using Vex's dummy is common in a lot of spells. Since I assume you only create the sfx once, you won't notice a performance difference. It's far better than importing a new Nova sfx model file in my opinion. And making a new unit just for the purpose of the Ice Nova itself is even worse. What if you want another scalable sfx? Then you'll create another unit? It's less efficient.

Abilities\Spells\Undead\FreezingBreath\FreezingBreathTargetArt.mdl
is not the same as:
Abilities\Spells\Undead\FrostNova\FrostNovaTarget.mdl

Though they look identical. Have you tried both of them? I believe one leaves the tip and the other one does not. It has something to do with the animation type. Effect animations finish their thing before disappearing and dynamic models with a few animations will disappear immediately. I might have that backwards ... either way, try it! Let me know if it worked.

Level 12
@Legal Ease I'll take a look when I get the chance.

@Flux I did not consider that. I don't have THAT many animation units, but it would definitely be better in the long run.

Level 12
Do try to use destroy special effects while at it

Yes I destroy them. For the frost nova model, I destroy the effect immediately after creating it. It still lingers around like that, so it is most likely just part of the animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.