• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Flying Height at Negative values by Triggers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Ok, I want to do for a map an ability like some kind of Quick Sands... Ok, but there is a problem. I know that by changing in the object database if you change minimun flying height and flying height you can make negative values... But You can´t change that by GUI!!!! I putted them the ability Storm Crow and then removed(this lets me Change Flying Height on Ground Units), then I setted their minimum flying height to negative values, but if I want to change the Flying Height by GUI, the minimum value is 0.10 in-game display.
Soooo,, i just wanted to know which Jass Code I shall use for putting negative flying heights. With this, I can do this ability called wquick sands to swallow units into the earth :razz: :spell_breaker: :infl_thumbs_up:

Ok, Hope you know the Answer!

Level 11
Hold shift THEN click the value you wish to change, when the window to change the value comes up, it will allow you to enter negative values.

Level 2
Noo

No, thnx for replying but that´s not actually what i wanted. I need that the flying height is putted by triggers at negative values, because the game doesn´t let you do that. If you define that in the object databse, then you can, but in-game it always put at 0.10 although I put it a negative values(Note: I also changed the Minimum flying height of each unit to -200)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Due to the way WC3 works (it uses a collision system to detect and manage the height of a model / unit), if you could fall through the floors the game would probably crash as the model would become infinatly low I think. Thus the only way is to lower the model below the surface of the ground and via flying height make it above.

Last edited:
Level 9
Due to the way WC3 works (it uses a collision system to detect and manage the height of a model / unit)
I really don't think he does that
that's an expensive way to set the Z value for a game which doesn't require it
the game probably juste use the map height, add the unit heigh bounded to 0.10 to avoid people make mistake
i'm pretty sure there is no collision system unit/ground
collision circle unit/unit and collide grid on the map is enough

(i've already see a naga swimming in the ground, no crash because of the collision)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I mean as in points, it uses a downward point collison system to get the terane height beneath the unit, thats how you can walk on doodads which are above the normal ground and can be set to any height. So basically you can not go beneath the ground in flying height for that reason.

Level 9
it uses a downward point collison system to get the terane height
and so my solution works : you translate down the model in the mdx
(sample: an half sphere centered in 0,0,-100... set the unit model to it, then set the height to 0, the half sphere is underground; set the height to 100, the half sphere is on the ground, set the height to 200, teh half sphere is flying at 100's altitude)

Level 2
Mmmm...

Ok, I´m thinking on this, but I don´t want to do something like that with MDX. I need to constantly change the Flying Height to Negative Values, Like -1, -3, -4.5, -7, and more quickly until -100. And All units of the game(excepting buildings & doodads) must have this. Soooo,,, now it is complicated!
Note: The Naga swim because their animation of walking when swimming is lowered down...

So, I just wandered if there is a way with Just Jass. If you actually try to put a flying heigh of a flying unit in the world editor to negative, it works, but you can´t do that by GUI!

Well, if you don´t have any Idea, then ´My Ability Quick Sands is not going to be in the map.... Crap! :cry:

Or Maybe you know the answer :grin:

Ok, see ya! :thumbs_up:

Level 21
haven't tried this, but what happens when you have a negative fly value in the object editor, and change it to 0 fly height in-game. Later, when required, you change the fly height back to "default" of unit... wouldn't that reset it to the negative value you gave it at first?

Level 11
Even if he did that Eleandor, he still wouldn't be able to change the flying height like he wants to. Anyway if Dr Super Good is correct then no matter what the game thinks, the game engine is unable to display a unit with negative fly height.

Level 9
he want to make quick sands
that's mean that he want all unit in an aera to slowly go down trough the ground

maybe you could do this with a "sand ground" model that you place as an effect on the map, and then, you slowly make the real ground under the effect go down.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
The function that allows you to change a unit's height does it at a certian rate. Thus it is smooth up and down in a linar fasion. If you want any other types of height movement like a asceleration / deceleration, you need to make your own trigger functions for that.

Remember that the change height function works in X height units per second if I remember correctly and not over X seconds.

Level 2
Good Idea Yoshi Ryu!

Good Idea YoshiRyu! Maybe simulating the contrary effect of a quick sands is the solution! Ok, I´m gonna work on it. If you wanna leave the post if someone has a better idea, then do it. I´m Outta here! ThnX!

Status
Not open for further replies.