• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

-Fladdermasken's Showcase-

Status
Not open for further replies.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
133407-albums4144-picture39115.png

Welcome to my humble showcase, where I will upload any terrain done by me.
Disregarding the fact that it's highly unlikely that I will update any of my older terrains,
feedback and criticism is still very much appreciated.
~Fladdermasken

Without further ado, here they are.
I will most likely update this with descriptions for each terrain.

Contest Entry (3).pngPlaymate 2.pngFinal Entry 2.3.pngWithering Heights.pngTerrain - Eye on the Price.pngTerrain - Lighthouse.png

Last edited:
Level 7
Heres my little review of your pictures.

Picture 1:
+

Athmosphere is nicely done and i love the way you used to make the trees. Aslo good thing about this picture is that you made those leaves look in different fog color. I also like those butterfly models what you used and the sun reflections.
-

There ain't much thing, what i don't like about this picture. But i need to ask: Do i see there a map ending? Cause there is somekind on line wich seems like a map border and i dont like it very much(put that's my opinion.)
Picture 2:
+

Good things are same what in picture 1, but there are some new thing what i dislike a little.
-

The blue glow what you used to make sun reflection, dosent fit good to the picture. The "thing"(dont understand what it is) is interesting, but. . . look bit weard. Maybe ifyou can find squirrel models and put it to the picture, it would look nice.
Picture 3:
+

Interesting work. Good things are that you used nice space/night sky theme sky, what work very good in this picture. The way you fogged the rock is also well done. The model(s) what you used behind the Chalise make it look very good, how did you do that?

-

You should make the walkway to the chalice little bit more lighter, so we could see as much as we see the start of the walkway. The right up look little bit too dark, maybe show the sky there too?.
Edit:

Picture 4:
+

Used water reflection( :ogre_haosis:). Intense sun light look good and make sit look like the place would locate in somekind oasis. Doodads look in proportions and mostly they are placed good too.

-

Those meatbugs in the skeleton aint looking good, they look like hovering meatpieces. One of the fern in left looks like its growing out of rock, wich seems unnatural. The rock behind the first reflection tree in left has those pointy tops, what look very bad IMO. One mountain in backround(little to right from center) has a pointy top, what aint looking good.
Picture 5:
+
Fogging and athmosphere is well made. Water reflection. Moon reflection look nice. Interesting way you made starts in sky( Is it custom sky or just well Glow doodads placement?) The city is built well into the rocks. Character fits in the picture.

-

Aint very much critisism to say. The tree in frontground in the right has a sharp point, maybe use cutsom leaves a raise them little to cover that.
Add another reviews when i have again time.

Last edited:

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Heres my little review of your pictures.
Thank for the review. For picture one, that actually isn't a map border it's the one of the cloudmodels crossing with the map floor.
Perhaps a little sloppy, but it isn't the most noticable flaw I reckon.
The thing is an anime character, which I believed fit this one perfectly. My fellow terrainers, however, mostly disagreed with me. So I took her down from there.
I uploaded this version now, as 2-p considered it better than my original.
And I'm a 2-p fan :)
Now for my third picture, ah yes I remember this one. The chalice effects is done with the blink spellmodel, if memory serves at all.
The sky is left shadowed on the right side for a purpose, believe it or not. I believe it enhances not only my dream imagery, but the eerie feeling I get from this one.
As for the walkway, you may be right, it should be a bit lighter. However, I like this darker version myself, so bare with this old fool if I'm not up for changing that :)
I want thesee :'(
Gonna put one of these to be my picture on dekstop ;) +rep. BTW: How do you make that lights and shadows so real? Or you just edit models? That's on pictures : 5,7 and the current WIP. You're the best terrainer i have seen on hive ;)
The lighting is mostly done with playing with terrain fog and the glow/fog models found in UTM.
In the seventh one, I used a pitch black fog with ZStart=0 and Zend had a value around 1000 if memory serves.
The rest is then done with glow models to lighten up the parts I care to light up.
Leaves alot of room for improvisation, actually :)
My WIP is mostly me playing with the Sun Burst model tinted very pale. And a purple-ish terrain fog.
Thanks for the kind words.
You got some really nice terrains :)
Thank you very much, you do as well :)

Reactions: 2-P

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
i saw the 4th picture somewhere else...
You might've seen it in my tutorial on reflections.
o_O Never thinked about setting start to 0 ;) Thx. (I thinked that it is gonna mess up menu xD because it's 0)
Tested, it rocks, thx.
Anytime. Feel free to ask me if you have any terrain related questions.

You sure have a nice way of using lights.

1. The first picture, probably the most interesting one of all. But it's a pity that the WE can't make it more smooth so we don't see those ugly lines. In my opinion, the one with the girl is better, no suggestions whatsoever.

2. The second one is also quite interesting. But I'm still not satisfied with the green light in front. Nice combination of colours that's for sure.

3. In this one, we don't have an eye catcher which is a big minus but the point was to show how to make water reflection. Also I dislike the broken column on the right next to that high resolution rock.

4. This one is very nice, very nice indeed. But, the sky, it could have been done so much better, you should have made a lot more stars and as they go up, they fade into darkness. Also the hero on the rock should be looking at the moon in my option. Those glowing structures are a real nice touch but, you didn't reflect them in the water, at least not all of them and so as the trees in front weren't reflected.

5. You used warm colours which makes the terrain look good, but it isn't very interesting like the other terrains you have. The canter of the screen is empty, only filled with clouds which hurt my eyes but I think I remember you saying how you wanted it that way (Still a bad choice). The right side is quite funny because that robot reminds me of a robot from a movie which I really liked.

6. The six one, one of your best. The dark effect with the yellow makes it look perfect but you didn't put effort in putting details on the rock on the right which is a pity.

+rep for you nice terrrains. :)

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it.

1. Yes, it is indeed sad that it isn't more smooth. Also, yeah now I remember it was you who liked the version with the girl.

2. Thank you, the combination is the main purpose of the terrain. I wanted a dark/eerie yet surreal imagery. The green light in the front is questionable I know, perhaps I should mix it like I do in the background.

3. Ah yes, as you pointed out this was mainly to clarify the reflection effect. I didn't mind detail as much as I should have, haha.

4. Looking back at this, I as well notice many technical flaws. The sky, as you pointed out, is horrid and I could really enhance the imagery by updating this. Perhaps I will actually take some time to polish this after the contest.

5. Yeah, lack of interest pretty much describes my feelings exactly. I as well liked the robot, however.

6. This is also a terrain I've been thinking to myself that I should polish.

Thank you very much for your review. +rep

Level 36
You know... There probably isn't going to be a single constructive comment in this post, hence there is no real reason why I am actually making a post, but a promise is a promise I guess.. See, the thing is, probably everything I would be about to critique on your finnished stuff, you seem to prove that you have now improved in your latest WIP. So, yeah, good work, keep it going, you know the drill.. :)

Oh and btw, GET A FUCKING BETTER TASTE FOR ROCK MODELS :p

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
Your currently WIP reminds me of Fable II in a certain kind of way so +rep for that :p btw could you tell me how you make that sky so freaking damn nice? i know you need to inport something or mass around with light effects but plz tell me :p
Thanks for saying, glad you like it so far. The sky is as simple as me playing with the fog and sunflare model in UTM, as you suggested. I also added pale clouds to enhance it additionally. The first cloudbox is tinted (25,25,25) and the other two are tinted towards pale orange and pale purple.
did you use this as the eyes of the ancient of war ?
They actually glow automatically, however I did enhance the glow with the glow model from UTM.

Status
Not open for further replies.