• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Fixing issues with custom commandfuncs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antares

Spell Reviewer
Level 21
Hello,

I have the move command, attack command etc. hidden in my map. They're moved to the bottom row with an imported commandfunc.txt, and the ability buttons to the top and center row, so that the hotkeys are ASDF and QWER on both grid and custom hotkeys. (so the default command buttons are moved to the bottom and also hidden with BlzFrameSetVisible ).

It works perfectly fine until someone who has a custom commandfunc in their Warcraft 3 directory attempts to play my map. This commandfunc overwrites the one in my map and depending on what they changed in ther commandfunc, they cannot cast any spell because the ability buttons are hidden instead of the default command buttons.

Any way to fix this? Either by un-overwriting the commandfunc or by using a workaround.

Thanks for any help!

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
Hmm, I don't know of any good solutions besides informing the user that they need to temporarily move their custom CommandFunc file while playing. I would do this during the loading screen and at the start of the game. People have gotten used to janky workarounds over the years (save & load systems requiring users to manually write their password for example), so it's not that big of a deal to request what I assume is a small portion of users to spend 30 seconds doing this.

I HIGHLY doubt there's a proper solution to this problem.

Antares

Spell Reviewer
Level 21
That's unfortunate.

Well, the map loads in like 5 seconds, so the loading screen isn't the best place to put info. But I could replace the command button icons with icons saying "disable" "custom" "command" "func" and then in the tooltip write an explanation why this is being displayed. I think that could work. :plol:

Antares

Spell Reviewer
Level 21
I feel like these text messages at the start of the game are never read by anyone (I rarely read them either). Here's what I did. This should work, unless the guy has also a custom commandstrings file, but I don't see why anyone would do that. I also included a line about it in the map description.

Attachments

• Commandfunc.jpg
    Commandfunc.jpg
    585.2 KB · Views: 22

Uncle

Warcraft Moderator
Level 64
That's when you MAKE THEM READ IT, lol.

Game starts -> Screen fades to black/disable user control -> 100 point red font appears with the words "WARNING" -> Smaller font appears below it describing the issue. Then use this time for other important information as well, maybe regarding SD/HD mode assets and whatever.

Anyway, that should work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.