• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fixing Faulty Death / Decay Animations

Fixing 'Popping back' parts of models tutorial.
- Powered by Magos' Model Editor

This tutorial will explain how to fix models which will stack their part on other units after death.

Tools needed:

Getting Started:

1. Convert the model with the issue with MDLX Converter to mdl format.

NEVER EVER EDIT MODEL IN MDX FORMAT. Otherwise they screw up even more afterwards.

Fixing the actual model:

1. When you open your model (in mdl format !) with Magos Model Editor and you will see your model in the main window. Place the main window in the middle of your screen.

2. Go to Windows-> Geoset Manager. Place the Geoset Manager window on the lower left of the main window mentioned above.

3. Go to Windows-> Animation Controller. Place the Animation Controller window on the upper left of the main window mentioned above.

4. Go to Windows-> Geoset Animation Manager. Place that window on the right of the main window.

View attachment 13932

5. Now play the decay bone animation with the Animation controller. You will see that some part of the model are still present in Decay Bone Animation.

View attachment 13933

To fix the problem you'll need to assign a geoset animation to the geoset that still shows up in all animations, but you need them to disappear in Decay Bone animation.

6. Play a stand animation with the Animation controller.

7. Now left-click + ctrl a part of the model of that you are sure you haven't seen in the decay bone animation, mainly the chest or something similar. You'll see that the model part (geoset) has flashed with a dark shading.

That geoset will be marked in the Geoset animation manager.

View attachment 13934

8. In Geoset Animation Manager search for the Geoset Animation that is linked with the proper, disappearing in decay bone animation, geoset. Linked geosets will be shown on the lower left of the geoset animation.

View attachment 13935

9. In that Geoset animation window press the 'Alpha' button in the upper right corner of that small window.

Now a a window called 'Alpha' will appear. You'll see a list with one or multiple digits which end with ....:0 or .....:1xx.

10. Copy the whole list by using ctrl + C copy function. Close the 'Alpha' and the 'Geoset Animation', not 'Geoset Animation Manager' window.

View attachment 13936

To find a geoset that still unassigned with a geoset animation, play the decay bone animation, Ctrl+rightclick a still showing part (except the bones/corpse).

11. Now create a new Geoset Animation by right-clicking in the 'Geoset Animation Manager' window on Create New. Tick the animated check box and then press alpha and enter those values you found in 9. into the list.
Press okay in the Alpha window to save it.

Now enter the geoset that is still unassigned in the 'Geoset ID' drop-down menu in the 'Geoset Animation' window.

12. When you now play the decay bone animation you'll see that it is now disappeared. The geoset will not the visible in all animation except decay bone.

View attachment 13937

13. Repeat that method on all geoset that are still present in decay bones animation. All except the corpse geoset. Save it like [Model]_A_001.mdl or something like that.
NEVER EVER OVERWRITE THE ORIGINAL MODEL.

I added a model that still needs some repairs, to this thread, so that you can test this method out.

Get it to test your skill.

Test your result.

Last edited:
Heh, I could have used this when I was a beginner.
Some things I would note:
-Make sure they know not to create empty geoset animations.
-Additionally, I think duplicate geoset animations crash WE too (2 geoset animations for one geoset)
This is very nice and handy. +REP
--donut3.5--

Yes indeed. Thanks for that.

Level 32
Outstanding tutorial, Herr General!

I have made the following minor changes:
  1. Detached the signature file.

2. Retitled the tutorial.

3. Configured the images to display in their proper locations in the document.
This week I will go over it carefully (after you make improvements based upon user input) to correct any minor grammar or spelling errors (if any are present).

Outstanding tutorial, Herr General!

I have made the following minor changes:
  1. Detached the signature file.
  2. Retitled the tutorial.
  3. Configured the images to display in their proper locations in the document.
This week I will go over it carefully (after you make improvements based upon user input) to correct any minor grammar or spelling errors (if any are present).

Alright, thanks.
I was in search of a proper name and only used the previous one.
Big thanks for fixing those attachies. Somehow they were very hard to finalize for me.

Level 1
can some one give me a tutorial wich i can make a caracter(a model)or change one(skin color,weapons...)plsss!!!

Level 1
someone help were can i edit models wich program i have war3 model editor .. like doing a own model