• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Feedback and advice please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hello everyone, i just started terraining on the UTM a few days ago when DEAD_FISH told me about it. These are my first attempts at terraining on the UTM, so please provide me with information about what did i do wrong and how to fix them.

Attachments

• Crystal Bright.jpg
    Crystal Bright.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 164
  • Crystal Normal.jpg
    Crystal Normal.jpg
    314.5 KB · Views: 175
  • WoW.jpg
    WoW.jpg
    371.9 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Level 23
Might be strange to link his own threads... but it's always a good start to look through this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-terraining-hives-terraining-section-184427/

To your actual terrain: Even though I can spot a composition I think this is currently to messy executed. Might be that you was so stunned by the amount of doodads in the UTM that you just spammed a few to much. Especially trees. Also the trees right in the front don't look to good, because so close the texture looks akward. Apart from that a very nice first terrain.

On a second note: Welcome and keep practicing ;)

Level 36
I am not a professional terrainer and I can`t give advices and tips, sorry.
But I like the Crystal Bright.

Would you mind pointing me in the direction of the rule that states this?

Really, this isn't a fucked up money-consuming communistic corru... Uh..

POINT is, if you want to comment on something, then bloody do it. It doesn't take a mind of brilliance to be able to point out what you like and dont like about what you see in front of your bare eyes. >.>

Level 7
For first try it is pretty good, but theres always something to do better. IMO i think what is not good, is that you have taken picture too close, cause UTM models dont look (mostly) good in close viewing, so if ya could take camera a bit away then it would look better. I also agree with M0rbid that picture had a too much spam. Its just not good if you have too much things on picture, cause you dont know where to focus your eyes and without that picture loses some of its + sides.

I hope this helped you a bit. Keep it going and welcome to Art terraining!

Level 7
Ok i'm done with the second terrain...here it is. It took me almost 2 hours because the sun was really hard to make. Because i'm a beginner at terraining, i used a WoW screenshot as a reference but i changed some things.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 102
  • World of Warcraft.jpg
    World of Warcraft.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Level 7
Well i have to say theres big progress in your 2. work compared to 1. one.

Very nice theme i must say at first. Doodads placement is way more better then 1. work, cause now it dosent seem like mess. Lighting looks good also, makes the picture happily bright.
Now to some cons. Firstly, your ground is very flat, looks very unrealistic that you could find so perfect land in this kind of condition,what you have on picture. Lamp lights should be higher, cause the light comes from candles, not from supprting leg where the candles are.

Overall, very nice to see so big progress so fast.
+rep

Level 23
Let me point out a few things again, so you can take those for further improvements. First off: Since you want to take a screenshot that is looking good and artistically, you want to get rid of the green camera selection circle before screening the terrain.
Second thing: There are two minor flaws that I see in this terrain. First is, what I would describe as the "end-of-the-world" feeling. Behind the gates there seems to be nothing but an abyss, which looks strange and unrealistic. Try adding mountains or forests silhouettes into the back would help there.
The other point is the lack of height variation in your terrain. Apart from the hill in the middle, there is not any height variation at all. If you compare it to the given WoW screenshot, you can see, that this looks unnatural aswell.
You definatelly have improved the doodad choose compared to your first terrain, but still I can see a bit of missuse in it. For example the fir like trees do not fit within the rest.
You could move the glows of the lanterns a little up into the sky to really make them look good as light of the lanterns. You can do this by pressing ctrl + page up...

Overall, this is a nice improvement to your previous terrain and I hope the things I pointed out will help you to get along with your training and further terraining, keep it up!

Level 7
Long while to wait for an update but here it is...
Will be trying out differently themed terrains soon, as I have more free time now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.