• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Dark Tree (and my first ever post ^^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Hi!
Just like to say hello to everyone as this is my first ever post.
I've only recently started terraining and thought I'd like to share what I make and hopefully get some advice and help along the way.
So here's my first screeny! (may not have attached, hoping it has >< )
It's called dark tree because... yeah... it's a dark tree and I used doodads from the UTM to make it, any criticism and advice is welcome.

Attachments

• DarkTree.jpg
    DarkTree.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 229
  • DarkTreeLetterbox.jpg
    DarkTreeLetterbox.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 212
Level 36
Haha, that's actually really cool. Too bad you did a sketchy job on the lighting :(

If you refine it a bit by taking out all those mist clouds and stuff and putting in some dim, tinted glow.mdx it'll look a lot smoother. Also, cover up that hole in the light from above doodad, and it'd probably be a good idea to tint it darker (basically just makes it more transparent) so it isn't as bright, and maybe give it a light brown/orange color too. I'd do the same with the sky.

Here's (sort of) an example for the glows/light from above:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...67/38970d1222741390-darkness-fromdarkness.png

Level 6
Thanks for the replies! I'll get to work on a second version immediately.

So it sounds like it's mostly lighting I need to edit/fix?

I'm finding the sky hard to edit mostly; I used the Rexxar campaign backdrop for the sky along with Clouds 2 I think (from UTM). This may be why the clouds seem so bright, and I'm wondering how I could darken them, any ideas?

Level 19
Thanks for the replies! I'll get to work on a second version immediately.

So it sounds like it's mostly lighting I need to edit/fix?

I'm finding the sky hard to edit mostly; I used the Rexxar campaign backdrop for the sky along with Clouds 2 I think (from UTM). This may be why the clouds seem so bright, and I'm wondering how I could darken them, any ideas?

Locate them in the object editor and decrease the red/green/blue color values. They are 255 default.

Level 6
Okay I've done some editing, but its not finished yet.
I've tried to remove the glare seen at the front and darken the light from above,
I also found that placing 'star white' s behind the tree looks pretty neat :thumbs_up:
I've darkened the sky as advised, maybe not enough yet. I tried to keep the brighter sky focused just behind the tree for effect.

I'm going to try and change the eerie fog I used for the green mist next, and use glow.mdx instead, along with detailing the background rock spires, but here's what I've done so far.

Thanks for the advice so far and I'd welcome any more if anyone has any ideas or points about the screenie.

Hope you enjoy! And thanks for the warm reception, I'm hoping to use Hive a lot now :grin:

Attachments

• DarkTree2nd.jpg
    DarkTree2nd.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 109
Level 6
Yeah, I'm struggling on whether to keep that green fog or change it, I've made several versions of it and I'll see if I can attach them all. Oh, and the attachments seem to mess up the colouring on the lighting edges, not sure how to remedy that atm

Pretty much tried everything to make the fog and lighting match, the second one has the lighting gone green (though I put some immolation flames in... dunno what prompted me to do that... >< ) and the first one has a different green fog used.

Any ideas on which looks best would be great!

I'm not sure whether I'm going too into this one screenshot, so just warn me if I'm getting too persistent or pushy :wink:

Attachments

• DTDraft1.jpg
    DTDraft1.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 85
  • DTDraft2.jpg
    DTDraft2.jpg
    296.2 KB · Views: 104
  • DTDraft3.jpg
    DTDraft3.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 136
  • DTDraft4.jpg
    DTDraft4.jpg