1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Lich King demands your service! We've reached the 19th edition of the Icon Contest. Come along and make some chilling servants for the one true king.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 4th SFX Contest has started. Be sure to participate and have a fun factor in it.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The poll for the 21st Terraining Contest is LIVE. Be sure to check out the entries and vote for one.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The results are out! Check them out.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Don’t forget to sign up for the Hive Cup. There’s a 555 EUR prize pool. Sign up now!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The Hive Workshop Cup contest results have been announced! See the maps that'll be featured in the Hive Workshop Cup tournament!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Favorite and most beautiful tileset

Discussion in 'Warcraft Discussion' started by MasterHaosis, Feb 23, 2017.

?

Those are possible choices:

1. Heavy/Thick/Mysterious Forest (Ashenvale)

24.5%
  2. Savanna,Desert,Prahistoric,Wildness (Barrens)

4.1%
  3. Red planet,Mars styled dimension (Outland-Black Citadel)

6.1%
  4. ,,Urban" Areas,Medieval City (Cityscape-Dalaran,Dalaran Ruins)

4.1%
  5. Lava areas, hot caves (Dungeons)

4.1%
  6. Swamps, Poisoned/Corrupted areas (Felwood)

4.1%
  7. Cold/Frozen/Winter regions (Icecrown Glacier,Lordaeron Winter,Northrend,Underground)

14.3%
  8. Summer areas (Lordaeron summer, Village)

8.2%
  9. Autumn/Fall (Lordaeron fall, village fall)

12.2%
  10. Tropical/Jungle islands and areas (Sunken Ruins)

18.4%
  1. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hey guys, I wonder something. What is your favorite/most beautiful tileset environment and why for? Frozen Throne has about 18 tilesets, I tried to group them as possible on similarity and put 10 groups for voting and discussion. It is matter of taste, and I want to see yours.Does it have all necessery stuff which you like, does it look beautiful, does it have vegetation, nice effects, life forms, native creeps, storyline? Why do you chose them to play/create maps?
    For example, someone may have winter as favorite season because of cold, snow etc.... So he may find Icecrown Glacier and similar best choice because of snowy/frozen environment, possibility of snow storms etc etc... Let me know your choice. Vote and post comment please, I will post mine later.

Heavy/Thick/Mysterious Forest (Ashenvale)
    Savanna,Desert,Prahistoric,Wildness (Barrens)
    Red planet,Mars styled dimension (Outland-Black Citadel)
    ,,Urban" Areas,Medieval City (Cityscape-Dalaran,Dalaran Ruins)
    Lava areas, hot caves (Dungeons)
    Swamps, Poisoned/Corrupted areas (Felwood)
    Cold/Frozen/Winter regions (Icecrown Glacier,Lordaeron Winter,Northrend,Underground)
    Summer areas (Lordaeron summer, Village)
    Autumn/Fall (Lordaeron fall, village fall)
    Tropical/Jungle islands and areas (Sunken Ruins)

2. StoPCampinGn00b

StoPCampinGn00b

Community Manager

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Village and village fall, no doubt!

3. Mechanical Man

Mechanical Man

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Some are more detailed than others, Lordaeron summer is widely known to be the crappiest tileset while expansion ones tend to be better. Ashevale is one of the most versatile for forest terrain.

4. Athur12A2

Athur12A2

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    Village and Ashevale, since they are easy to mix and im too bad at terraining...

5. Radagast

Radagast

Resources:
    Models:
    Packs:
    Resources:
    Fall + ashenvale

6. lord_Turin

lord_Turin

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    village fall by far.

7. NeCrO_OwNeR

NeCrO_OwNeR

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ashenvale, but i prefer custom tiles set :)

8. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    None of them as they all have boarder seams due to incorrect tiling logic being used to create them.

9. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Guys, thanks for posting here. Time for me. Well, as Demons/Fel orcs are my favorite race, some may think that Outland is best tileset for me. Indeed it is because of that fact and red flying Mars style around, but it is second place.
    I still have my favorite environment. I voted for Sunken Ruins.
    Sunken Ruins is my favorite for several reasons: Tropical beuatiful area. Can be made as jungle. Can be made as Island with lot of tropical elements. Can be made as archipelago, group of small islands. Can be made to battle/explore in the middle of ruined city, ancient civilization. Can be made underground, like Tomb of Sargeras and underground tropical caves.
    Also, from lore view, it is ancient area where Highborn night elves were. When sunwell imploded it created huge maelstrom. So, borken isles are located near maelstrom which causes constant storms, rains, thunder and lightning in some parts of broken isles. That is why certain maps have thunders and flashings all over them. It can have awesome beaches, nice crystal view but can be very dangerous place. Also, there are unique creeps and creatures only to those tileset. Also, there is Naga. They melt easily with environment, with corals and native life forms. Also their buildings are made of those ruined materials which contains water, corals and elements seen in jungle. Those can be placed as decorations as well.
    Overally it has great potential, and I chosed it for favorite tileset :cgrin:

10. DEAD FiSH

DEAD FiSH

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I love fall but I hate Blizzard's version of it. Pines do not get brown/orange-ish like trees with leaves do. Pines remain green in all seasons. Grass too remains green, unless it's a really hot summer. But SUMMER, not FALL! And the reason why the ground is so orange/brown-ish during fall is not grass, but all the dead leaves that fell from the trees.
    And this orange grass and orange pines become green again in the winter tileset because fuck logic. So realistically a Lordaeron Fall should be green because it only has pines for trees.
    So my vote goes for Broken Isles. You spend more than half of time in the Frozen Throne's Night Elf campaign in it and it's a really underappreciated tileset. You also return to it briefly in the Rexxar's campaign.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  11. TheLordOfChaos201

TheLordOfChaos201

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey why can't I vote for two :(

I just like the floating rocks you can get from Mars, but I mainly like the island and their trees. Plus you don't see much of the ocean in the game so I like all the star fish and other suck tile pieces

12. VeljkoM

VeljkoM

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Well I honestly dislike default RoC tiles besides Ashenvale. My second choice would have been Sunken Ruins but only one vote and Ashenvale is simply much more useful. Personally I hate the whole limitation of tiles and grouping them into set groups instead of having freedom to mix and match and have more than one biome on a map.

13. Talavaj

Talavaj

Resources:
    Models:
    Resources:
    I always liked the magical forest theme.
    So I would vote Ashenvale, although I wouldn't mind it having more eerie/magical features than that even.

14. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Well, I wanted one man one vote :cgrin:
    VeljkoM, you know that presidential elections here are approaching, then we must adapt haha

Then how do you solve this issue yourself? Create new tilesets, new logic, what?

@RedCrusader , I see that you are only one here ,,Urban" guy. You seem to like the most law and order, parks, buildings, civilization.... Unlike rest of us. Forests, jungles, falls :cgrin:

@deepstrasz, Felwood eh? Nice one. Are you looking for swamp creature there? hahahaha

So guys, seems that Ashenvale is leading with 7 votes. Falls and Sunken Ruins got 3. I am surprised noone chosed chaotic Outland as favorite yet haha

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  15. Lasersquid112

Lasersquid112

Resources:
    Resources:
    Cold because that's the best place to pop some heads.

.50 cal ftw.

16. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Tile blocks inside tile textures need a 1 pixel border for 32*32 blocks and 2 pixel boarder for 64*64 (standard high quality) blocks.

Here is an example image showing the difference of boarder against wrong boarder or boarder-less. Left is seamless grass with roughly generated 2 pixel boarder while right is standard Warcraft III grass. Do note that one can still see boarder repetition on the seamless tiles marking where each tile starts, however there is no discontinuous seam between tiles like there is with the standard grass.
    big picture
    [​IMG]

A problem is that the UV coordinates used by terrain chunks do not dynamically adjust for different texture sizes. Hence why only a 1 pixel wide boarder is needed for 32*32 blocks but 2 pixels for 64*64 blocks. For 32*32 blocks the UV wrap corners are centered in the middle of the edge pixels. For 64*64 blocks the corners are exactly in the middle between pixels of a 2*2 edge pixel block, meaning the actual tile boundary colour is resolved via bilinear filtering.

I am sure some artist could devise an approach of making good looking seamless tiles without noticeable boarders. I am not a good artists...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  17. Roland

Roland

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Autumn Tile-sets and it's environment sound-set is awesome

18. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm... What you say is mostly right. We have pines and other conifers around and they are not getting yellow during winter. They are always green. Only grass can be yellow as well, some of grasses here got yellow, and bushes and rest of environment, not all types of grass are same (I just looked in my garden. Grass is mostly green itself, however, many parts of it are green indeed or ,,dry" color, it definitively has change), but yes, as you pointed out, majority of golden stuff on ground is because of dead leaves from trees. And yes, in WC3 in Winter they got green again.
    But I think they did it to make tileset different from others. For example Lodraen winter trees have snow on them regardless they are green, so they have white effect as far I remember. And trees makes most of terrain. So, obviously they decided to make it different, regardless if it is logical or not. But yes I agree with you. However I would also felt boring to see everything almost same.
    I also think of second, another case. Perhaps that Lordean fall is just meant failing of Kingdom as well, since Arthas killed his father and Undeads rule over lands. So, death, devastation and even change of environment happened. That could cause trees to grow yellow. if that is case, it is more logical than simple season changes, as you pointed out.

hehe Roland is only one guy here who used sound effects as point, even I forgot about those. Yes, sounds often adds effects to overall feel of some environment.

19. General Frank

General Frank

3D Modeling Moderator

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    I love savannahs.

20. MasterHaosis

MasterHaosis

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Guys, even Ralle came here on my invitation.
    @Ralle , Haha! I mistaken. I really expected that you will vote for Ashenvale, but you voted for Sunken Ruins. I did not know that you are fan of tropical climate. Maybe just iked Night Elf campaign in Broken Isles. They made awesome terrain there.

@General Frank , Thank you for posting and voting.
    Surprisingly, your taste matches with taste of Panderan brewmaster, adventurer. He is seen once in broken Isles and in Outland, but mostly he is present in Barrens alongside with Rexxar and Shadow Hunter in many missions.
    Guys, I also wonder why people underrate barrens. Only General Frank voted for it. I see potential there, in ROC I like barrens the most. It has nice wildness, rogue life forms and creeps, nice nature.