• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fatal Error!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
So I'm making this map. Been working on it for some time now.
The thing is that one of my Heroes have a passive ability.

But! When the Hero learns it, the game crashes it says Fatal Error!
I've remade the spell several times but it's always the same message for the spell! It sucks...

If you need more details I can provide you with them, I can even send you the map if you wish to.

Fatal error details:

This application hs encountered a critical error:

FATAL ERROR!

Program: c:\spel\warcraft iii\War3.exe
Exeption 0xC0000005 (ACCESS_VIOLATION) at 00 1B:00000001

The instruction at '0x00000001' referenced memory at '0x000000001'.
The memory could not be 'read'.

Press OK to terminate the application.

Spell details
Code:
Based of Thorns Aura

Art - Icon - Normal = Storm Hammers <Normal>
Art - Icon - Research = Storm Hammers
Stats - Level Skip Requierment = 3
Stats - Levels = 9
Stats - Race = Other
Text - Hotkey - Learn = T
Text - Tooltip - Learn = Learn S|cffffcc00t|ratic Personality - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]
Text - Tooltip - Learn - Extended = |cff0080FFType:|r Passive. |n|cff0080FFEffect:|r Returns a precentage value of an attack's damage. |n|cff0080FFIncrement:|r Increases percentage value. |n|n|cff0080FFDescription|r |nNo decription yet!

Level 1-9 - Data - Damage Dealt to Attackers = 0.20 per level
Level 1-9 - Data - Damage is Precentage Recieved = True
Level 1-9 - Data - Buffs = = = Empty Buff = =*
Level 1-9 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Self
Level 1-9 - Text - Tooltip - Normal = Static Personality - [|cffffcc00Level 1-9|r]
Level 1-9 - Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended = |cff0080FFType:|r Passive. |n|cff0080FFEffect:|r Returns <A014,DataA1-9,%>% damage to the attacker. |n|n|cff0080FFDescription|r |nNo decription yet!

Empty buff details:
Code:
Based off Starfall (Target)

Stats - Race = Others
Text - Name (Editor Only) = = = Empty Buff = = [without the " " ]
Text - Tooltip = Empty Buff
Text - Tooltip - Extended = This is n empty buff. If you see it there is something wrong.

This thread has been updated.
1.1: Provided information on the spell and buff

Last edited:
Level 18
My first thought (even though I'm not an expert of leaks) is that your ability has a repeating trigger or action that contains a leak. This leak repeats so quickly, it'll cause to suck out your computer's memory, leading to a fatal error in such a short time it'll look like it's done immediately.

Level 10
My first thought (even though I'm not an expert of leaks) is that your ability has a repeating trigger or action that contains a leak. This leak repeats so quickly, it'll cause to suck out your computer's memory, leading to a fatal error in such a short time it'll look like it's done immediately.

Accually It's based on Thorns Aura, just edited the data and description...

Level 8
You are calling a function that does not exist or you have a loop that never ends and well... It can be due to a number of reasons. Can you post your script here? I will be happy to help, but if its just a normal edited ability from thorns aura with no script/trigger or anything the problem might be something really weird.

Level 2
Accually It's based on Thorns Aura, just edited the data and description...

Can you post what you edited and post everything involving the ability?

I made an ability based off of a spell book. I put in 5 aura abilities in it and made it a hero ability. When I learned it, game crashed.

I edited the ability and made it so that the first level of the ability had only 2 aura abilities, and the second level gain 3 additional aura abilities, totaling 5. This didn't crash the game.

So learning a spellbook with 5 aura abilities learned at once made the game crash but making it so that only 2 are learned at level 1, then 3 at level 2, didn't crash the game.

So if you're doing something like that(5 aura abilities learned at once), it'll crash the game.

Last edited:
Level 10
Ok here is the spell that causes Fatal Error:

(Based of Thorns Aura)
Art - Icon - Normal = Storm Hammers <Normal>
Art - Icon - Research = Storm Hammers
Stats - Level Skip Requierment = 3
Stats - Levels = 9
Stats - Race = Other
Text - Hotkey - Learn = T
Text - Tooltip - Learn = Learn S|cffffcc00t|ratic Personality - [|cffffcc00Level %d|r]
Text - Tooltip - Learn - Extended = |cff0080FFType:|r Passive. |n|cff0080FFEffect:|r Returns a precentage value of an attack's damage. |n|cff0080FFIncrement:|r Increases percentage value. |n|n|cff0080FFDescription|r |nNo decription yet!

Level 1-9 - Data - Damage Dealt to Attackers = 0.20 per level
Level 1-9 - Data - Damage is Precentage Recieved = True
Level 1-9 - Stats - Targets Allowed = Self
Level 1-9 - Text - Tooltip - Normal = Static Personality - [|cffffcc00Level 1-9|r]
Level 1-9 - Text - Tooltip - Normal - Extended = |cff0080FFType:|r Passive. |n|cff0080FFEffect:|r Returns <A014,DataA1-9,%>% damage to the attacker. |n|n|cff0080FFDescription|r |nNo decription yet!

Note:
I wrote 1-9 instead of writing down the whole set of datas. The Raw Code of the spell is A014 and the "DataA1-9" means that it's 1 at level 1, 2 at level 2 and so on.
And as I said, this is it. No other changes, GUI or JASS.

*The buff here is a buff I made, based of Starfall (Target). I removed Art - Target, changed Stats - Race = Others and Text - Name (Editor Only) = "= = Empty Buff = ="

Hope this was useful...

Level 10
2: Since you don't know what it is, then I guess you didn't do anything to it...
Its the floor of the map. Tile.

3: Its the graphics/images of your menu, standard icons, and map. etc.

Thank you for the imformation :thumbs_up:

2: No, I have not changed tileset.
3: I have no imported icons, images or menus (or anything else)

The odd thing is, the game crashes when my hero learns the ability.
At first I though I might be refering to the wrong raw data code (it crashes the game) in the description, but when I checked it wasn't :confused:

Level 3
Im not sure if this matters because Im not the best with abilities but try:

Targets: Self, Ground (if ground unit / air if air unit), maybe even Hero (probably not though)

Level 11
just for the record... infinite loops closes warcraft with no error message

infinite amount of leaks :)P) causes your computer to restart (in the last and fatal consequence) but doesnt show any error message either

plz... can you post the map?

Level 2
Ok here is the spell that causes Fatal Error:

(Based of Thorns Aura)

*The buff here is a buff I made, based of Starfall (Target). I removed Art - Target, changed Stats - Race = Others and Text - Name (Editor Only) = "= = Empty Buff = ="

Hope this was useful...

Hmm, try copy and pasting the buff made from the "Thorns Aura", then changing all the art fields to the same one as the one you made based off of starfall.

Then add it to the Thorns Aura ability you made.

Once, I made an ability based off of "Metamorphosis", I give it a buff based off of Endurance Aura, and the game crashed about 2 seconds after I used the custom Metamorphosis ability, so try basing the custom buff off of "Thorns Aura" just in case games may crash if different "types" of buffs on abilities can somehow cause crashes.

Level 10
Hmm, try copy and pasting the buff made from the "Thorns Aura", then changing all the art fields to the same one as the one you made based off of starfall.

Then add it to the Thorns Aura ability you made.

Once, I made an ability based off of "Metamorphosis", I give it a buff based off of Endurance Aura, and the game crashed about 2 seconds after I used the custom Metamorphosis ability, so try basing the custom buff off of "Thorns Aura" just in case games may crash if different "types" of buffs on abilities can somehow cause crashes.

Not a good idea. The point of this buff was to make it empty without a description or icon.
The buff based of Thorns Aura with removed art does show up at the "buff-bar", and the buff's icon will be the same as a random buff already applied buff to the unit.

Why I based it off Starfall (Caster) was because it doesn't show any icon or art, which is exactly what I want.
Now you may wonder why I don't just remove the buffs from the ability?
Well, you can try it yourself...

If a spell is based of an aura and the aura's buffs have been removed, then WarCraft III will change them back to basic value, which will bring me the Thorns Aura buff.
And I don't want the Thorns Aura buff, I want no buff at all because this is a self-applied passive ability. You don't see Evasion having a buff, or Critical Strike, do you?

Level 10
It doesnt work until you add a buff that can be shown, because Thorns Aura works only on those units with the buff.

Hm, I see...

Thanks for the usefull information.
I've decided to base the spell of Evasion instead, and make it to a trigger.

• Static Personality
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit is attacked
    • Conditions
      • (Triggering unit) has ability Static Personality Equal to True
    • Actions
      • Set Temp_Integer_1 = (0.20 * (Level of (Magnatude - Static Personality)) * ("Damage dealt"))
      • Unit - Cause (Triggering unit) to damage (Attacking unit) for Temp_Integer_1 damage... ... ...
Note that this trigger is not the correct one, just made it quickly

Level 11
well... i think that you know that that trigger will fire when attackers rises their hands... not when the missiles/weapons actually hit the target, and evasion (if you have some from an item or wathever) wont affect... no matter if the attacker misses... the damage will be dealt all the same

if it is for a hero i recommend you to use "unit takes damage" under specific unit events

Level 10
well... i think that you know that that trigger will fire when attackers rises their hands... not when the missiles/weapons actually hit the target, and evasion (if you have some from an item or wathever) wont affect... no matter if the attacker misses... the damage will be dealt all the same

if it is for a hero i recommend you to use "unit takes damage" under specific unit events

Yeah... did not think about that...
What am I supposed to do then?
I'm out of ideas...

Level 11
well... use that action "add event to trigger" (or something like that i dont remember exactly :p) to add your unit with supposed to have thorns aura to a damage detection trigger (would be a trigger with no event, condition "damaged unit = to (your unit)" and as an action use "damage damage source dealing X amount of damage of type Y of Z"

instead of life becames = to 0

do

• Unit casts an ability
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Thunder Clap
    • Actions
      • Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Trigger - Add to Damage detection trigger <gen> the event (Unit - caster takes damage)
you can also download the map that is in my signature... if i remember correctly there is something like that... of returning damage there

Level 10
well... use that action "add event to trigger" (or something like that i dont remember exactly :p) to add your unit with supposed to have thorns aura to a damage detection trigger (would be a trigger with no event, condition "damaged unit = to (your unit)" and as an action use "damage damage source dealing X amount of damage of type Y of Z"

instead of life becames = to 0

do

• Unit casts an ability
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Thunder Clap
    • Actions
      • Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Trigger - Add to Damage detection trigger <gen> the event (Unit - caster takes damage)

Well... That's about the same thing I wrote, but then you said it wouldn't work.
You'll have to speak clearer cause I do not know what I'm supposed to do and what diffrence your tip will do...

Status
Not open for further replies.