• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Is there a max amount of text a tooltip can take?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
For some reason the last line of a tooltip from one of my items is not showing in the tooltip when I mouse over the item.
I added the same tooltip to a spell and it seems to work.

This is what the description looks like in the object editor:

|cff4169e1Requires Level:|r 8|n|cff4169e1Slot:|r Two Hand (bow)|n|cff4169e1Weight: |r14|n|cffffa500|n119 Damage|n79.3 DPS|n1.50 Speed|r|cffffcc00|n|n+ 0 Strength|n+ 14 Agility|n+ 0 Intelligence|r|n|cff48dd00|n+ 13 Haste|n+ 7 Wisdom|n+ 192 Hit Points|r|n|n|cff33ffffForest Boons: Increases the chance that your Forest Shots will generate a Nature Boon by 20%.|r

This is what I eventually get in the item tooltip ingame:

Requires Level: 8
Slot: Two Hand (bow)
Weight: 14

119 Damage
79.3 DPS
1.50 Speed

+ 0 Strength
+ 14 Agility
+ 0 Intelligence

+ 13 Haste
+ 7 Wisdom
+ 192 Hit Points

Forest Boons: Increases the chance that your Forest

So the last line is missing.
Do I have to live with this, or did I do something wrong?:eek:

Last edited:
Level 23
Heros description in dota is far longer then this so it is most likely problem with |n, ill test it

EDIT:

I have to ask, do you use JNGP, because Ive copied your and got
attachment.php

Also, Ive tried 1|n2|n3|n4|n5|n6|n7|n8|n9|n10|n11|n12|n13|n14|n15|n16|n17|n18|n19|n20|n21|n22|n23|n24|n25
and it worked well, its 24 new lines I think
And yes I use JNGP

Attachments

• tooltip.png
    tooltip.png
    72.3 KB · Views: 448
Level 19
I'm not on my own computer atm, else I would've tested it myself.
But yeah, might be the |n that fcks it up.

EDIT: but wait a sec... Why would it cut a sentence that has no |n in it, in half...

Level 19
It must think that it can't take any more characters for some reason...
Did you test the tooltip on normal World Editor?

Well the editor shouldn't matter I guess. Because I can perfectly save the tooltip in the editor. Its just that ingame it doesn't show properly.

However...
I can try it in a map without using JNGP.

Level 19
Yes I am using JNGP combined with WEU but for some reason it doesn't work properly with the tooltips I guess.

Level 19
This is what I got.
Ability version seems to work.
Item version doesn't.

Attachments

• pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 197
  • pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 231
Level 19
Even when copy/pasting the text into a new map, freshly made with normal world editor (not JNGP) and testing it ingame it doesnt show the last line of the tooltip for me.

Tried windowed mode/fullscreen mode too, but that didnt make a diff.

I also regulary play on Bnet, so updating wc3 isnt the thing, cus I always have the latest patch.

Level 19
Don't have negative real values set.
Maybe I should try it.. who knows for some strange reason.
(Edit: however It should only affect the editor. Not the ingame result I suppose.)

But since I use JNGP I can always use negatives anyway if I shift+enter on something.
(I also tried shift+enter and then adding the text but that also didnt work)

I remember having this same problem. I'm not sure how Apheraz_Lucent got around it in those pics.

The problem is that items have a shorter tooltip limit than others (abilities, units..). The limit seems hardcoded, and is apparently something around 435 characters. The other ones are limited by the string limit, 1024. (well, 1023 + 1 null char)

I don't have the editor on this comp so here are some things to try:
(1) Shift click (lol) before editing. I doubt this works.
(2) Try using a tooltip tool like Risc's, maybe it will affect something. I doubt it myself but someone else recommended it in another thread.
(3) Try editing the war3map.wts file. If it cuts off your string in there, maybe you can manually edit it using a text editor and extend it.

GL hope something works.

Level 19
I remember having this same problem. I'm not sure how Apheraz_Lucent got around it in those pics.

The problem is that items have a shorter tooltip limit than others (abilities, units..). The limit seems hardcoded, and is apparently something around 435 characters. The other ones are limited by the string limit, 1024. (well, 1023 + 1 null char)

I don't have the editor on this comp so here are some things to try:
(1) Shift click (lol) before editing. I doubt this works.
(2) Try using a tooltip tool like Risc's, maybe it will affect something. I doubt it myself but someone else recommended it in another thread.
(3) Try editing the war3map.wts file. If it cuts off your string in there, maybe you can manually edit it using a text editor and extend it.

GL hope something works.

Hmm damnit.
I already tried 1. And since I am using a tooltip tool, number 2 won't workout.
No idea how editing the war3map.wts file goes and if it's safe or anything.

I just wonder how rulerofiron99 got it to work.:O

Level 19
normally, copy pasted your text into item description. If you use JNGP try enabling no limits under grimore, it may help(if you dont have enabled)

Well that's weird.
I also use no limits from grimoire and JNGP, but it still doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.