• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fan randomly turning off and Network Dissappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
So, I was researching that keeping a laptop between 40% and 80% was a good way to keep the battery lasting longer. So I been plugging in and out as it reaches these two thresholds.

However, now I am having issues where the fan will randomly turn off. Additionally, the network will randomly disappear, effectively shutting off my internet access until I restart the laptop.

Is it possible that the constant plugging in and out resulted in this issue?

If this is needed, I have a HP Omen 15 Laptop

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
So, I was researching that keeping a laptop between 40% and 80% was a good way to keep the battery lasting longer. So I been plugging in and out as it reaches these two thresholds.
Not quite how that works... Assuming your battery control circuit is reporting correctly then generally charging and remaining charged beyond 80% shortens battery life. However discharging at all also shortens battery life, just accelerated if below 20-40%. As such you might be subjecting your battery to more wear than if you simply let it charge to 100% and left it there since you are constantly discharge cycling it.

The correct procedure is to instruct the system to stop charging at 80% and leave the computer plugged in so that the battery is not discharged. Most OEMs provide an application that allows you to turn on this behaviour. At least Samsung did back when they still made laptops. This way the battery does not suffer the wear from being above 80% charge while also not suffering the wear from being discharged, and it should be less effort to maintain as well.

I have tried looking up how to do this for the HP Omen 15 and the answers are anywhere from it being done in BIOS after a BIOS update to being impossible to even being not needed as the batteries already have this reduced capacity factored in... As such this is very much something you probably need to hand on to find.

Is it possible that the constant plugging in and out resulted in this issue?
Generally when running on battery fan curve profiles are much more conservative and CPUs prefer to thermal throttle and rely on passive cooling as much as possible. This is because fans are an active cooling solution so require battery power to operate, reducing the time the system can last on a single charge. Thermal throttling also acts as a natural power limiter without clamping maximum performance for short bursts overall leaving the system more responsive when doing casual work like browsing or word processing compared with a hard limit to clock speed or package power.

This might also apply to wireless as well. When on battery the operating system might try to make the wireless hardware operate more energy efficiently which might reduce its ability to reliability transmit and receive packets. The change in mode might also be subject to driver bugs, it is not the first time I have seen what one should consider reasonable conditions cause a network interface to break.

Status
Not open for further replies.