• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer Randomly Shuts off while in use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently I've found that the fan on the side of my computer has stopped working, I tried to clean the dust out the inside of my computer, due to an earlier problem which required a system restore to fix.

Now, every now and again it seems that my CPU stops working, as the screen switches off and the noise coming from the computer changes.

I found that unplugging and plugging in the computer from the mains makes it work again, but it usually happens again after awhile, any ideas as to what is causing this?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Monitor temperatures. If any components exceed 80°C then it is overheating problem. If it is an overheating problem, buy a good new fan and replace your current ones on overheating components.

Also, did you remove your heatsink off your CPU? If so did you stick it back on using the special heat transfering gell?

Level 18
uhm Your fan stopped working? so it can't cool it anymore? -> overheating.. to prevent most damage th pc will shut down, or at least stop it's current processes..

Buy a new cooler, or decrease your power of the PC, if you overclocked your CPU it might get hotter than usual. Can your CPU-Fan handle this hotter temperatues?

Else buy a new fan, or reduce the Power so it won't heat that fast.. you should controll this.. it can seriuosly damage your PC, or want a new one? ^^

If the temperatues are right and none is above 40-45°C and your PC shuts down again, or mainly on some specific programs, then it could have some other reasons..
for the program part.. it increases the work of the PC alot which ends in overheating and shut downs.. the other part could be the power supply unit, which isn't working well, so buy a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.