• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

The Ultimate Computer Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Hey! It's CyberDuelX16 here and i was wondering if anyone can help me with a computer problem that is slowly breaking me down piece by piece. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks, CyberDuelX16 (Also Known As Coal)

So about a month ago, when i tried to turn on my computer, after the HP Logo it displayed something from AMD with a whole wall of text and at the bottom it said: Hard Drive Failure Imminent! Please backup HDD Immediantly! or something like that. I didn't pay much attention at first so i just pressed [F2] to continue. Windows booted up just fine. So everyday i would just ignore the message and continue and everything would be ok. However, about 7 days ago firefox was freezing up and everything else on my computer froze up too (Even the task manager!) There was nothing i could do so i unplugged the computer. When i plugged it back in and tried to start it, i came across the same message. Ignoring it as always and pressing [F2] i figured everything would be fine. However, after pressing F2 all i got was a black screen i a little "_" on the top left that flashed every second. After waiting like this for about 5 minutes, i recieved a message saying:

"A Disk Read Error has Occurred! Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart"

After searching non-stop for DAYS, i found a solution telling me to change my boot order to prioritize my Hard Drive. So i went to BIOS and changed my Boot Order to HDD > CD and then disabled both the floppy and network boot orders (because i don't use them). After that, i restarted to see if it would work, and after pressing F2 Again it worked! Everything was fine except maybe a small slowdown in computer speed and the computer freezing for 20 - 60 seconds every few hours but nothing annoying. So life was normal again until NEXT day when a friend was over. Computer booted up fine but during one of the "Freeze" periods when i was in the bathroom but friend rapidly clicked around the computer thinking it would stop the freeze or just being a complete idiot (Don't really know, he's not really that bright with computers). So because of him, the computer froze and after 20 minutes of waiting i had no choice but to unplug the electricity (AGAIN). When i replugged and tried to boot up again i got the SAME error. ("A Disk Read Error has Occurred! Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart") I tried playing around with BIOS more but had no other luck. I'm not sure how i achieved it but after trying for about the 500th time to boot up it worked for a small bit and give me that screen you get after your computer unexpectedly shuts down, i chose start windows normally but at the windows loading section of the boot up, the bar froze after 20 - 30 seconds and would continue a small bit every now and again. Waited for 30 - 60 minutes with nothing happening, had no choice so i either Ctrl+Alt+Del'd or Just used the power button to turn off (forgot which). Next, i tried using the Repair Option, it loaded up just fine but in the process of repairing it froze too! also periodically moving forward a bit. After waiting around more, nothing happened so i unplugged and replugged. Again, I'm not sure how the hell i achieved it but i managed to even get through the windows loading section. However, after that i got BSOD'd (Blue Screen of Death). The screen had a whole lot of technicial mumbo jumbo and at the end it said it was cause by disk.sys | I tried looking that up and found thousands of posts by people with the same problem, however upon reading them all. Most threads had no answers and the ones that did were either unachievable by me or made no sense. There was this one that said i had to change something in my BIOS to RAID but there's nothing in my BIOS that even has the option to change to RAID. There was also this other one that said i had to install something onto my computer through a USB. No idea how I'm supposed to do that. So, after not seeing any other options i downloaded a windows installation disk (If your computer came with vista they don't give you one) and burned it onto a blank disk. Changed around BIOS so CD's would go first and booted up comp again with the Installation Disk inside. After pressing F2 the same thing came up with only a flashing "_" but after a while (seems like a random amount of time) a message appears saying something like "Press any key to start" or "Press any key to boot disc". By time i noticed this and tried to press a key nothing happened, i think it's because i didn't press for too long and it locked itself. So i restarted and waited for the message patiently. After only a while, the message appeared again and i hastily pressed the keys. It worked this time and i was over the moon! But my joy wouldn't last long. After entering the disk i found 2 options, seeing nothing that would help me i pressed F8 and it brought me to advanced options. Here's where it gets weird. I couldn't find a repair OR restore option on the disk! Tried starting in safe mode but with no luck, after trying to start on Safe mode w/ cmd i saw that it stopped loading on disk.sys and that's why my computer wouldn't boot (in safe mode anyway). Tried various other options in the disk with no luck at all. Also read another post which said something about installing Gateway or going to Gateway to buy/install something. It's (Obviously) most likely my HDD. However, i find it strange it's not working. The reason is because the message says: "Hard Drive Failure IMMINENT" which implies that it has no yet occurred. Also, after enabling another option in BIOS for a short while, The AMD message also displayed something on the lines of:

PSI Master: (Insert Text Here)
Slave: No Slave Detected
3rd Master (My Hard Drive): Status: Working, Failure Imminent!

As you see, all signs say it's working and unless my computer has gone utterly retarded it could very well be another problem.

None of the Checks or SMART Options work as they stop a few seconds after they begin either saying nothing or "Hard Drive Failure Imminent!". Even after searching through every bloddy page on google i found ZILCH ways to fix up the disk.sys error (not that it mattered anyway because the computer went back to square one (God knows HOW) and is now showing the same error as the first time: "A Disk Read Error Has Occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Please Help I'm utterly desperate! (Any Other Info Needed? Just say so!)

Level 3
Smart will warn you what your hard drive is about the fail to get a new one and back up you Ignored the warning and you Hard drive bit the dust some places and try and pull of what Data they can from failed hard drives if you need something important

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is a warning that a hard disk failure is iminent at any time (is dieing). Just cause it lacks the logic to tell you (your disk is dead, I warned you) does not mean it is not telling you with that message. If you ever get such a message, I advise backing up your data imediatly.

Ok so what can you do to fix it... Well firstly buy a new compatible hard disk, you can get some for 50£ although higher quality ones like those for servers or busniesses with lower failure rate will cost more (as they are not in 24/7 use you will not need this so look for cheapish ones). 1 TB costs only 50£ odd so you should be able to have some nice storage space.

Plug the new disc as a master and unplug the old one. Now reinstall your OS on it and all the drivers. Once it is running stabilly, set the old drive as a slave (so it can work) and run the sytem on. Now prey to god that it will give some dieing breaths to you so you can sucessfuly retrieve important data from it. Once you have got everything you can off the disk (if that is anything at all), you can pretty much bin the drive.

If you have kids you can let them see the inside and learn from it or if you dispose of it in the rubbish, make sure you put a strong magnet near it to kill all data (so it cant be stolen) or physically destroy the platters so they are unusable. This is to stop hackers from stealing your data cause even though the disc is unusable to you, the platters will be largly intact and thus all it needs is the right environment and tools and you can retreive data from the disk. These processes are too expensive for most people costing upwards of 300£.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Eh *Beeep*. Thanks for the advice guys, it's appreciated. Now then, time to buy *coughstealcough* another computer, it's wooden anyway and now i have an excuse to get something all new! that can actually run starcraft MWAHHWAHWWH *cough*

Level 7
Coal, is that your IGN in wc3?
If so, SCREW YOU TRAITOR!!!!! :cute:
I love you to,
-hsk.damianz

Anyway, you should go and buy a 320GB Solid State hard drive, those are fast and more reliable than regular hard drives.
The only problem is that the 320GB SSD costed me 1299.99$ US, and the fact that I only have 6GB left in my C drive. Luckily I have another 320GB SSD as backup.

Either way, you're hard drive is gone. Back up your data and then give your hard drive a decent burial.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
SSD have a limited write load. After writing to a sector so many times it becomes damaged and unusable.

It is probably easier to buy 2 1 TB HDDs for 100£ only and then set them into a RAID1 configuration. That way even if one dies you can just plug another 1 TB in and it will rebuild reducing the chance of datalose to the near impossible (what are the chances of the second drive failing before being able to rebuild the first?). Additionally this allows multi threaded loading from the volume and thus will boost read performance to a degree as well as protecting your system from a single drive failure.

Level 7
Who needs an SSD for Wc3? There is almost no point to buying that.

Anyways, your not supposed to use an SSD like that, stick your OS and a few games on it, everything else goes on a secondary HDD

xD Yeah kinda hard to take out my SSDs from my laptop now, isn't it?

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Coal, is that your IGN in wc3?
If so, SCREW YOU TRAITOR!!!!
I still have no idea what i did >.>
Check the computer with either me or Supergood, preferably both, before you buy.
Will do!
It is probably easier to buy 2 1 TB HDDs for 100£ only and then set them into a RAID1 configuration. That way even if one dies you can just plug another 1 TB in and it will rebuild reducing the chance of datalose to the near impossible (what are the chances of the second drive failing before being able to rebuild the first?). Additionally this allows multi threaded loading from the volume and thus will boost read performance to a degree as well as protecting your system from a single drive failure.
I'll look into it

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I was saying that in comparision to the guy who recommended a SSD.

The only problem is that the 320GB SSD costed me 1299.99$ US

It is probably easier to buy 2 1 TB HDDs for 100£ only and then set them into a RAID1 configuration.

That does not mean it is recommendable to do or a good idea. You could quite as easilly run both drives in a master slave configuration and simply back up important data only between the 2 incase one dies. I believe some versions of windows even come with tools to do this.

Solidstate drivers are meant to be used when data axcess speed is important. For example running your OS and games from. Also as they have no real random axcess delay they never need to be defragmented and it is advisable that they are not. They are not meant to be used for running virtual memory on or any write intesnive task due to their limited write load. As such it is advisable to move virtual memory and brower histroy / cookies / cache to hard disks if you wish to prolong the life of your SSD.

Level 34
Computers may seem formidable at first, but hardware really isn't all that complicated. If you're willing to give a bit of time and effort, you can learn how to do a lot of repairs, and build computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.