• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Computer Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Hello Hive,

I have a Windows 7 Home Premium OS. Over the last few months I experienced a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) about twice now. Each time I thought it was do to me multitasking on my computer too much. A week ago my computer started freezing up whenever I used a browser or program. Then it ended up not allowing me to fully boot up the system. So I went into safe mode (Which works perfectly fine) and went to a System Restore point that was set back a week. Everything then worked perfectly normal again.

A few days later it started doing the same stuff. I then searched around what may be the possible causes of this. I found that I hadn't updated any of my drivers since I got the computer which was a little over 3 years ago. Now the problem I am having now is that when I log into my computer it freezes on the screen without loading my desktop and doesn't allow me to select anything (i.e start button) I tried going back to that system restore point again and it is still doing the same thing.

What I am asking you guys:

What should I do?

How do I update my drivers if I can't access my normal desktop? (I can't install anything in safe mode)

Any other advice?

Level 34
I honestly have no idea what that could be. My only suggestion would be to take it into a computer repair store. My amateur guess is that you have malware or a virus.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Unless you have a bootsector virus that has damaged the OS you likly have a hardware fault.

If you have a spare hard disk you can test this by reinstalling your OS on that just to see if the same problems repeat (this rules out any chances of software problems).

Level 2
I think the best way to solve this problem would be to do a full format and reinstall the OS (unless this is hardware problem).

Level 11
Windows Troubleshooting Guide

Got a problem?
Solution: Reboot.

Problem persists?
Solution: Reinstall.

I've worked under Windows for many years, and my experience tells me that Windows tend to do this kind of stuff after a while. Backup your data and proceed with a clean installation. If the problem persists even after the new installation, one or more of your hardware components may be faulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.